Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I think the rule says the ball must be marked with a coin or similar but marking with a tee is acceptable as far as I know.

He probably just felt bad about it, and rightly so.

I saw someone fish around in his pocket for a coin on the first green and couldn't find one so he marked it with a leaf.
    He seriously thought it was a penalty, and even made out it was poor form on my behalf to not ask it to be moved; basically I cost him a penalty. Went on to tell me that if another player hit a shot on a fairway or tee and it hit my cart it was a penalty against me.

He also thought his 22 handicap should be applied by taking 2 shots a hole on 11 holes.... I didn't let that one go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    His scorer couldn't give two hoots as he is using a specially designed bag that can carry up to 30 clubs but only displays 14.
    Wtf?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
    He seriously thought it was a penalty, and even made out it was poor form on my behalf to not ask it to be moved; basically I cost him a penalty. Went on to tell me that if another player hit a shot on a fairway or tee and it hit my cart it was a penalty against me.He also thought his 22 handicap should be applied by taking 2 shots a hole on 11 holes.... I didn't let that one go.
    You should have fired one off his cart in that case.

Shoot, wish I'd thought of that at the time.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    Yellow and red stakes both have the option of going back along the line from point of entry keeping the pin in line. Or go back to the last place the ball was hit from.

Red hazards have the extra option of dropping within two club lengths from point of entry no closer to the hole.
    There is also a 4th option with LWH (Red stakes), you can drop on the other side of the hazard, equidistant to the hole. That gets some looks sometimes!. Note also that the 2 club lengths is the relief distance, not the drop point. You have to drop within 1 club length of the 2 club lengths relief point, so could be up to 3 club lengths. The ball is allowed to roll up to 2 club lengths from that spot and still be a valid drop. So 5 club lengths is in theory possible, but does not sound like the situation Matty is describing.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Wtf?
    Contact perci as he might be able to get another one made.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Note also that the 2 club lengths is the relief distance, not the drop point. You have to drop within 1 club length of the 2 club lengths relief point, so could be up to 3 club lengths. The ball is allowed to roll up to 2 club lengths from that spot and still be a valid drop. So 5 club lengths is in theory possible, but does not sound like the situation Matty is describing.
    Not sure that's right Daves, decision 20-2c/1 Dropped Ball Rolling Out of Prescribed Dropping Area says almost 4 club lengths is the maximum.

A player taking relief under the Rules sometimes appears to obtain more relief than he is entitled to because the relevant Rule allows him some latitude within which to drop and the dropped ball then rolls some distance from the place where it was dropped. When a Rule prescribes an area within which a ball must be dropped, e.g. within one or two clublengths of a particular point, should it be re-dropped if it rolls outside the area so prescribed?

No, not necessarily. Provided the ball has been correctly dropped (Rule 20-2a) and does not roll into any of the positions listed in Rule 20-2c, it is in play and must not be re-dropped. In particular, under Rule 20-2c(vi), the ball may roll up to two club-lengths from the point where it first struck a part of the course when dropped, and this may result in its coming to rest an appreciable distance farther from the condition from which relief is being taken. For example:

(a) a ball dropped within two club-lengths of the margin of a lateral water hazard may come to rest almost four club-lengths from the hazard margin without the player being required to re-drop it under Rule 20-2c

He seriously thought it was a penalty, and even made out it was poor form on my behalf to not ask it to be moved; basically I cost him a penalty. Went on to tell me that if another player hit a shot on a fairway or tee and it hit my cart it was a penalty against me.

He also thought his 22 handicap should be applied by taking 2 shots a hole on 11 holes.... I didn't let that one go.
    According to Rule 19-3 "If a player’s ball is accidentally deflected or stopped by an opponent, his caddie or his equipment, there is no penalty. The player may, before another stroke is made by either side, cancel the stroke and play a ball, without penalty, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (Rule 20-5) or he may play the ball as it lies. However, if the player elects not to cancel the stroke and the ball has come to rest in or on the opponent’s or his caddie’s clothes or equipment, the ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball came to rest in or on the article, but not nearer the hole."

Rule 19-1 says the same thing.

So he should not have taken a penalty but you should have replayed the putt.
    Last edited by IanO; 1st May 2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

So if your ball hits your opponents marker on the green and fails to go into the hole can you reload?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    According to Rule 19-3 "If a player’s ball is accidentally deflected or stopped by an opponent, his caddie or his equipment, there is no penalty. The player may, before another stroke is made by either side, cancel the stroke and play a ball, without penalty, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (Rule 20-5) or he may play the ball as it lies. However, if the player elects not to cancel the stroke and the ball has come to rest in or on the opponent’s or his caddie’s clothes or equipment, the ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball came to rest in or on the article, but not nearer the hole."

Rule 19-1 says the same thing.

So he should not have taken a penalty but you should have replayed the putt.
    My read is 19-3 only applies in matchplay and under 19-1 it's the rub of the green?

My read is 19-3 only applies in matchplay and under 19-1 it's the rub of the green?
    You don't have an opponent in stroke play. Only fellow competitors.
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    So if your ball hits your opponents marker on the green and fails to go into the hole can you reload?
    Only if deflected or stopped ... seems strange to me
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

A ball marker is not considered to be equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    You don't have an opponent in stroke play. Only fellow competitors.
    What do you think of this scenario. Player A plays a stroke and his ball hits a golf cart being driven by his Opponents team manager.
    Considering that the manager is allowed to give the player advice (in our pennant competition anyway) that means he may not be considered an outside agency.

I know if it was me, I would definitely be demanding a ruling so I could replay the stroke (if it was to my benefit of course)
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

The team manager is still an outside agency.

Penant fixtures consist of several individual contests.

Within each contest the side is just the player plus caddie (if any).

But you would be right to try it on, your opponent might be silly enough to agree.

dave1

Only one comes to mind - a new player (literally his first comp) asked what club I played for my second before he had played his second.

I explained it asap.

I have noticed more than 14 clubs in the bag, are people called up on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    I have noticed more than 14 clubs in the bag, are people called up on this.
    I let a guy go a few years ago that had a boatload in there.

He said he only had 1 bag, so he stored his old clubs in there. I explained the rule and told him to only have 14 the next week.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Rule 8-1 ADVICE

During a stipulated round, a player must not:

Give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner; or
    ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies.

"What club did you use?" - I've let this one slide a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post
    Rule 8-1 ADVICE

Give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner; or

It is only an infringement if they ask you before their corresponding shot. They are allowed to ask after they have hit theirs.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    It is only an infringement if they ask you before their corresponding shot.
    Yep, exactly.

Banned

If I picked challenged the amount of incorrect drops at my club on a weekly basis, I would become known as the rules nazi at my club. It is unbelievable how many blokes don't know the most basic of rules. I played with a guy the other day who didn't know the difference between red and yellow stakes and it's not the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Pan View Post
    Rule 8-1 ADVICE

Nah, OZgolfers ask where you got it, how much and dibs if it was a really good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    If I picked challenged the amount of incorrect drops at my club on a weekly basis, I would become known as the rules nazi at my club. It is unbelievable how many blokes don't know the most basic of rules. I played with a guy the other day who didn't know the difference between red and yellow stakes and it's not the first time.
    I had a guy on the weekend tell me that most golfers don't take advantage of the two club lengths they get when taking relief from paths, rabbit scrapings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I had a guy on the weekend tell me that most golfers don't take advantage of the two club lengths they get when taking relief from paths, rabbit scrapings, etc...
    and then there is their interpretation of NPR!

Thread Information