Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I think the R & A/USGA statement is not as clear as first thought.

My interpretation is that it prohibits the use of a device that has a present capability of doing something non-conforming; eg. gauging or measuring other conditions that might affect play (e.g., wind speed, gradient, temperature). By that I mean the phone has apps installed at that time (therefore, a capability) that can perform the non-conforming functions (irrespective of whether they can be turned off), the phone must not be used during play. Contrast that to a situation of a smart phone which, has the ability to download apps which would make it non-conforming, but those apps have are not installed at the time of play. IMO the latter situation would be fine.

Given that golf is a largely self regulated game, I can see sense in the "it doesn't matter if you can turn them off" position.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post
    You can use a smartphone as much as you like, but use it to measure distance (legally) and it's a DQ due to the other features of the phone.
    There are several commentaries online that discuss this section of the announcement in detail and they dont agree.
    The phone itself does not have the capability of measuring gradient, wind direction etc.
    See article here: http://gps.about.com/od/gpsproductov...-gps-rules.htm

here is the section from the R&A/USGA
    3. Multi-functional devices such as mobile phones, PDAs, etc (i.e., devices that are primarily communication devices, but which may have other potential uses) may be used as follows:
    · The device may be used for any non-golfing purpose (e.g., as a communication tool to phone, text or email), subject to any club/course regulations and the rules on accessing advice-related matters – see Decision 14-3/16.
    · When the local rule is in effect, a distance-measuring application may be used, provided the specific application is restricted to “distance only” and the device does not have any other “non-conforming” features. This is the case even if these other features are not being used. As above, the rules on advice-related communications (including the use of the internet) still apply.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I can't really understand why they would bother banning devices capable of measuring wind speed, temperature or gradient if they allow something that tells you how far you are from the hole.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

The NSWLGA has banned distance measuring devices from mobile phones.

I asked for a clarification off our golf manager 3 months ago and they still don't know what the answer is.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett View Post
    The NSWLGA has banned distance measuring devices from mobile phones.

I asked for a clarification off our golf manager 3 months ago and they still don't know what the answer is.
    Didn't the NSWLGA disappear last year, with the merger of men's and women's amateur golf bodies?

Or do you mean the NSW Local Government Association, that only governs the golf rules for public servants?
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Dotty - maybe. I was going off the words of the local Rules Nazi who informed me it was in their tournament rules at Christmas...

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    There are several commentaries online that discuss this section of the announcement in detail and they dont agree.
    The phone itself does not have the capability of measuring gradient, wind direction etc.
    See article here: http://gps.about.com/od/gpsproductov...-gps-rules.htm

here is the section from the R&A/USGA
    you just proved yourself wrong with your own quote.

When the local rule is in effect, a distance-measuring application may be used, provided the specific application is restricted to “distance only” and the device does not have any other “non-conforming” features.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

It comes down to defining what are the non conforming features on a smart phone?
    A web browser or internet access that could be used to lookup weather reports or wind speed etc, is not non-conforming.

Did you read the article I posted, the guy from the USGA does not agree with you.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 23rd April 2011 at 10:03 AM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Define "capability"? If you disable wi-fi/3g does that disable capability? If not, what about older phones that have GPRS/WAP capabilities but do not have the service enabled by the operator? What about ipods in that case? They have the "capability" to be teathered to a portable wifi access point in your other pocket. Let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes, Alice.

capability does not make a smart phone device non-confirming.

eg. A mobile phone that can make calls. If you call your mum to tell her you will be late for dinner. No penalty.
    If you call your swing coach for tips, thats a penalty.

Thus, GPRS/WAP feature is not non-confirming. An Application that's specific purpose is to measure wind speed or gradient will be, and as far as i know there is no such application.
    --
    Handy-Cap

That answers my next question entirely (and was the expected response). So in that case, iPhones are fine: they have the capability to facilitate a rules breach, but as long as you are not using them to do so there should not be an issue.
    Last edited by henno; 23rd April 2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo extected/expected

As my smartphone does not have an inbuilt compass, is then legal?

Chopperlink

WITB

That isn't the case Henwah.

Rangefinders that have the capability to measure slope cannot be used, even if the function is turned off.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

So I can't tape a smart phone to my driver?

Blog Entries

Adlo and I allowed someone to tee of in front of the markers.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Adlo and I allowed someone to tee of in front of the markers.
    wouldn't you pull them up for it before they hit the ball?
    long and soft

GL: 6011911179

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    That isn't the case Henwah.

Rangefinders that have the capability to measure slope cannot be used, even if the function is turned off.
    So then Blakey's wrong; capability alone dictates whether or not the device is illegal.

I don't like the grey area here. Like I initially said, who determines "capability".

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    So then Blakey's wrong;
    That has NEVER happened before!

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    I don't like the grey area here. Like I initially said, who determines "capability".
    The article i quoted explains.

Does the iphone have a specific feature to measure slope?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

So by henno's example of tethering for an iPod, I'm DQ'd for using it during a round even though I don't use it for distance measurement?

That depends whether it has a non conforming feature or not.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    The article i quoted explains.

Does the iphone have a specific feature to measure slope?
    It can measure gradients but you'd need to download a specific app. It does have a compass though which I've read is not legal as it can be used to work out the direction of the wind.

Exactly - you can use a compass, an inbuilt feature of an iphone that can't be turned off.

Luckily my Android does not have a compass inbuilt or as an app!

Chopperlink

WITB

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Blakey, the fact that it has the capability to have the feature seems to be the issue, not the feature itself.

I'm using my iPod regardless, because I'm following the vibe of the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    It does have a compass though which I've read is not legal as it can be used to work out the direction of the wind.
    Yes thats right, a compass is specifically listed as a device that you cant use.

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett View Post
    Exactly - you can use a compass, an inbuilt feature of an iphone that can't be turned off.
    In that case the Iphone is non-conforming to be used as a DMD, and that would be the only reason. The blanket statement that any device is nonconforming because it is a smartphone is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Blakey, the fact that it has the capability to have the feature seems to be the issue, not the feature itself.
    If you don't have non-conforming applications on your iphone/pda/smartphone then it is ok to use, even if it does have the hardware to support such applications.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information