Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    and then there is their interpretation of NPR!
    Spot on.

Banned

Yep, doesn't surprise me. There was a guy last weekend who didn't to ow how to drop from a cart path. He thought it was 2 club lengths relief for starters. He also thought he should drop on the opposite side of the path even though he could gain relief not nearer the hole on the same side of the path where he ball came to rest from the previous shot.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

I usually tell anyone not to touch their ball, until they work out where they can drop it. It triggers those with limited rules knowledge to seek for rules advice or at least clarification of their understanding.

As for letting rules slide, I did see a drop on the weekend that involved a decent release of elbow and wrist (but I didn't want to question the not-so-happy hooker).
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Playing with a chick the other day who is a regular pennant player. On the par five hits her approach shot right of the fairway and the ball is stuck in the branches of a tree.Takes an unplayable then proceeds to take relief and drops in the middle of the fairway.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Playing with a chick the other day who is a regular pennant player. On the par five hits her approach shot right of the fairway and the ball is stuck in the branches of a tree.Takes an unplayable then proceeds to take relief and drops in the middle of the fairway.
    That is fine is if it is 1) behind the spot she was taking relief from, and 2) in line with the spot and the flag. She can go back as far as she likes on that line.

70 metres from either of those points.

Apart from Brookwater there are not many trees in the middle of the fairway. If she had gone back 15 metres along the line of the flag she would of been 20 metres from edge of the fairway.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I didn't just let a rule slide last week, I actively encouraged the culprit to do so.

We were already a hole behind, the guy hit his ball into the trees where there was two tons of leaf litter, and we couldn't find it. He was having a bad day, so was no chance of having a flag round, and he'd already done the walk of shame on the previous hole. So I told him to drop another ball and play on. We then found the ball when walking back up the next fairway.

It was wrong of me to do so, but nobody was hurt.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Blog Entries

Why not just NCR?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Will I be able to call fatties out for for cheating next year if their putter handle is resting against their fat gut ?

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I didn't just let a rule slide last week, I actively encouraged the culprit to do so.

We were already a hole behind, the guy hit his ball into the trees where there was two tons of leaf litter, and we couldn't find it. He was having a bad day, so was no chance of having a flag round, and he'd already done the walk of shame on the previous hole. So I told him to drop another ball and play on. We then found the ball when walking back up the next fairway.

It was wrong of me to do so, but nobody was hurt.
    I had a similar situation with a bloke a couple of months ago. Old bloke, was struggling and wasn't going to put a score on the board by the time it happened. He said "I'm just going to play one from here" and I let it slide. 2 holes later he lost another ball close enough to the tee for me to be able to explain the walk of shame vs NCR options without feeling like I was forcing him to add 10 minutes onto his round. I prefer to pick my times for the sake of efficiency. I figured the difference between NCR and a round on his golflink without a flag isn't really much.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Will I be able to call fatties out for for cheating next year if their putter handle is resting against their fat gut ?
    OI!!!
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Interested in a hit on New Years day?

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Why not just NCR?
    There seems to be a code of honour with some golfers (usually old blokes) that you never NCR. Stuff your playing partners, and the field, but you must play it out.

I would have done the NCR, and I said so, but this bloke wouldn't.

This is threadjacking a bit, but I never do the walk of shame. I did an NCR on the 3rd hole once for that very reason.

And Damoocow, my understanding is that it is the arm and hand that is anchored, not the club itself. But I do foresee a few problems of interpretation when this ban comes in if someone trys to test the boundaries. A lot of people think it is the long putter that has been banned.

I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere, but I don't recall reading it. What is the penalty? DQ, or a shot for each illegal stroke? And who makes the call, assuming there is no Rules Official. The marker?
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Double Post, sorry about that.
    Last edited by jimandr; 27th October 2015 at 12:37 AM.

The way I read it, if the end of the putter is up against [any part of the body] eg - a stomach...it is anchored and it is a 2 stroke penalty.

The way I read it, if the end of the putter is up against [any part of the body] eg - a stomach...it is anchored and it is a 2 stroke penalty.
    The way I see it, you probably wont have anything to worry about. But if you mention this to Largerarse he might take offense and shove your putter up yours...
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    The way I see it, you probably wont have anything to worry about. But if you mention this to Largerarse he might take offense and shove your putter up yours...
    You didn't offend him Blakey. That means he likes you

Thats because I dont call him out on his rules infringements - otherwise we would never finish.
    "bringing the game of golf into disrepute" is the main one.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thats because I dont call him out on his rules infringements - otherwise we would never finish.
    "bringing the game of life into disrepute" is the main one.
    FTFY

Not worried about myself - but lard arse golfers should be concerned

Blog Entries

Not worried about myself - but lard arse golfers should be concerned
    Not a worry.

The rule is against anchoring and it is impossible to anchor when waves of wobbling fat keep dislodging the putter handle.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

5 inch tap in, the guy accidentally moves the ball at address. I let it slide.

Saw a guy get chided for moving a leaf on his line with his putter... OTT?

Thread Information