Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

What about if I was on the 15th fairway and saw some black clouds out west and checked the BOM site to see if they were heading my way?

Does that make me a cheat?

EDIT If I'm on the 15th fairway and know there's some shit weather heading my way, I ain't going down #16

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    My Dad is a St George supporter.
    Your Dad sounds like a smart bloke.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Considering it's pennant season, let me ask the forum the question-
    If you become aware that your opponent is using an iPhone as a DMD, do you call for his disqualification and claim the match?
    Serious answer - Not normally.

If he was being a prick then maybe, depends on the circumstances.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Serious answer - Not normally.If he was being a prick then maybe, depends on the circumstances.
    It is easy to justify though. You are doing it for the rest of your team - not for yourself.
    Forum needs more banter.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Considering it's pennant season, let me ask the forum the question-

If you become aware that your opponent is using an iPhone as a DMD, do you call for his disqualification and claim the match?
    At a minimum I would draw it to the attention of the team manager to seek his views.

I am inclined to take the win.

Its a clear breach and at that level players shouldn't be playing pennant if they don't know the rules. If he did know the rules its a deliberate breach. Either way I don't have much sympathy.

Plus you are playing for your club letting it slide is not in your club's interest.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Well see there's winning and there's winning.
    I'd tell him to turn it off.
    If it wasn't for those damn putters......

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Had a bloke in the comp last week cross the edge of the water hazard about 30m in front of the tee. He made out his ball started down the fairway and sliced around into the hazard and took the drop 150m further up. Could have easily called him on it but he was a chopping cheat off about 29 and was about 50 over to that point. My care factor was 0 and a shake of the head.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulyboy View Post
    +1

Actually, I'm soft, so I'd let it slide.

There's more to life than winning.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

What if you were playing in the club championship tournament finals and the match was halved at the end of 17 holes. You had the honour and hit your ball a modest two hundred fifty yards to the middle of the fairway, leaving a simple six iron to the pin. Your opponent then hits his ball, lofting it deep into the woods to the right of the fairway. Being the golfing gentleman that you are, you help your opponent look for his ball. Just before the permitted five minute search period ends, your opponent says: "Go ahead and hit your second shot and if I don't find it in time, I'll concede the match."

You hit your ball, landing it on the green, stopping about ten feet from the pin. About the time your ball comes to rest, you hear your opponent exclaim from deep in the woods: "I found it!". The second sound you hear is a click, the sound of a club striking a ball, and the ball comes sailing out of the woods and lands on the green, stopping no more than six inches from the hole.

Now here is the ethical dilemma:

Do you pull the cheating bastard’s ball out of your pocket and confront him with it or do you keep your mouth shut?

Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

I didn't delete some booby gifs last Friday.

Blog Entries

That scenario is straight out of Goldfinger.
    'He can't have found his ball.'
    'How do you know, Mr Bond?'
    'Because I'm standing on it'
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Courty likes to waffle on though, not the Bond type.

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    What if you were playing in the club championship tournament finals and the match was halved at the end of 17 holes. You had the honour and hit your ball a modest two hundred fifty yards to the middle of the fairway, leaving a simple six iron to the pin. Your opponent then hits his ball, lofting it deep into the woods to the right of the fairway. Being the golfing gentleman that you are, you help your opponent look for his ball. Just before the permitted five minute search period ends, your opponent says: "Go ahead and hit your second shot and if I don't find it in time, I'll concede the match."You hit your ball, landing it on the green, stopping about ten feet from the pin. About the time your ball comes to rest, you hear your opponent exclaim from deep in the woods: "I found it!". The second sound you hear is a click, the sound of a club striking a ball, and the ball comes sailing out of the woods and lands on the green, stopping no more than six inches from the hole.Now here is the ethical dilemmao you pull the cheating bastard’s ball out of your pocket and confront him with it or do you keep your mouth shut?
    something similar happened at my club. A guy hit up on the same group two holes in a row on doglegs. The second time, the pissed off old guy picked up the offending ball at put it in his pocket.Things got real interesting when they confronted the guy who hit the drives and asked him how he went on the hole in question. 4 for 2 was the reply, to which the old guy asked him how he could do that when he had picked up his ball.

Blog Entries

Awkward.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by paulyboy View Post
    Agreed. How much advantage is there really? not enough to make a massive deal over it. I wouldn't want to win a match on a technicality, just doesn't feel like good sportsmanship

I had a run in with a guy who in matchplay asked me to move my marker before he had a putt. I forgot to put the marker back to the original position, all the while the other guy was watching knowingly just waiting for me to putt then called me on it. Absolutely it was a penalty but i would have thought a simple 'remember to put your marker back' would have been good sportsmanship. Certainly something i do...
    You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Generally I follow the rules, although I don't play in comp, just play for money and beer, but judging by some of the comments I'd hate to play with some of you guys

But I can understand if you were playing for a 200 bucks 3 wood or a staff bag or something, but casual play I don't think I would call a penalty, as long as he didn't brag about it in the end on how much he kicked my ass by. :P

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

I wouldn't hesitate to call a DQ on an opponent using an iPhone as a DMD. It is a clear breach of rules and you have an obligation to yourself, your team mates and your club to ensure that the match is played strictly in accordance with the rules. Pennant is serious golf - the team managers and players have a duty to ensure that the rules are enforced, and the iphone rule is well enough known now to avoid any excuse from the player that "I didnt know".

It's not a matter of poor sportsmanship or not wanting to win that way. I'm all for using the rules to your advantage, however obvious breaches such as this are inexcusable. You simply cannot move the goalposts as they relate to the rules.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Had a bloke in the comp last week cross the edge of the water hazard about 30m in front of the tee. He made out his ball started down the fairway and sliced around into the hazard and took the drop 150m further up. Could have easily called him on it but he was a chopping cheat off about 29 and was about 50 over to that point. My care factor was 0 and a shake of the head.
    You obviously play in Asia (although being off 29, he would be described as a low marker up here), dropping to advantage around hazards is an ancient art form.

Good points Jack, and I agree with your actions if the conditions of competition were explicit the iPhone or phones are non-conforming. I also believe VGA has done that ?

Up here, no. Just the standard blurb from the rule books and therefore multifunctional devices are allowed and that is why i wouldnt call the opponent out on it. It comes down to a case by case basis whether any particular device is non conforming. It is actually possible for someone to modify their device to make it conform, however unlikely it seems.

If I was using one ( I don't) and they tried to ping me I would tell them to get stuffed, they would have to prove it does not conform
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Blakey, I saw this on the Brisbane District GA website in relation to pennant rules:

"4. The use of any mobile phone by a player or caddie on the course whilst any pennant competition is in progress, is PROHIBITED. Each mobile phone must be switched off during play and until all play is completed ,( other than when the player or caddie leaves the competition course). Refer Rules of Golf, App. IV Part 5, p.162 and Rule 14.3."

This is what the VGA Pennant rules state:

"4.9 Distance measuring devices
    Players may obtain distance information by using a device that measures distance only. However, if during a Pennant match, a player uses a distance measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect his/her play (eg, gradient, windspeed, temperature, etc), the player is in breach of Rule of Golf 14-3, for which the penalty is disqualification, regardless of whether any such additional functions are actually used.
    Note
    The use of a distance measuring device that has a compass as one of its features, such as a ‘Smart Phone’, is specifically precluded."

I like the BDGA local rule banning mobile phones - it removes any ambiguity about their use, for whatever purposes.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Blakey, I saw this on the Brisbane District GA website in relation to pennant rules:

"4. The use of any mobile phone by a player or caddie on the course whilst any pennant competition is in progress, is PROHIBITED. Each mobile phone must be switched off during play and until all play is completed ,( other than when the player or caddie leaves the competition course). Refer Rules of Golf, App. IV Part 5, p.162 and Rule 14.3."

This is what the VGA Pennant rules state:

"4.9 Distance measuring devices
    Players may obtain distance information by using a device that measures distance only. However, if during a Pennant match, a player uses a distance measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect his/her play (eg, gradient, windspeed, temperature, etc), the player is in breach of Rule of Golf 14-3, for which the penalty is disqualification, regardless of whether any such additional functions are actually used.
    Note
    The use of a distance measuring device that has a compass as one of its features, such as a ‘Smart Phone’, is specifically precluded."

I like the BDGA local rule banning mobile phones - it removes any ambiguity about their use, for whatever purposes.
    So in the first case if your phone happened to ring because you forgot to turn it off you are DQ'd?
    You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!

Rika Batabasaga was caddying against Pacific and on his phone.... Cost his player the match. This was about 3 weeks ago so it is enforced.
    I'm back.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

The VGA ruling on iPhones sucks the sweat off a dead man's balls.

just sayin

Phones shouldn't be on the golf course in pennant.
    Forum needs more banter.

Noted Jack but I don't play in BDGA.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information