Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by HMA084 View Post
    I dont get it? What rule was broken there? You cant putt with the flag in?
    If you are on the green you can definitely not hole the ball if the flag is in.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

fair enough, well I guess thats one I have seen let slide and a lot of times.....

thanks for the clarification

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Good call by your mate. Have to look after the newbies.

My son (16 at the time) started playing about 3 years ago. He struggled to play to 27. One day he was playing in a comp with a rules nazi. Son was having a good round, looked like hitting in the 80s. His 16th hole (hole #7 , index 1) he put his 3rd shot to an inch of the hole. In his excitement he walked up and tapped it in with the flag in. Nazi hit him with a 2 shot penalty. He was shattered. Next 2 holes he had an 8 and a 12.

Gotta look after the newbies.
    I had a similar thing happen once where a bloke i was playing with just missed an albatross, went up remove the flag and was holding it in one hand (whilst it was on the ground) and tapped in with the other.

He did it so quickly i couldn't even tell him to stop but what was even quicker what the old bloke we were playing with pinging him for doing it
    "SHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

Quote Originally Posted by grandmasterb View Post
    I had a similar thing happen once where a bloke i was playing with just missed an albatross, went up remove the flag and was holding it in one hand (whilst it was on the ground) and tapped in with the other.

He did it so quickly i couldn't even tell him to stop but what was even quicker what the old bloke we were playing with pinging him for doing it
    When did this happen? I believe it has been allowed for the last year or more.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

You can remove the flag and be holding it while you tap in.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Yep you can be holding the flag when you putt. Just like you can have it tended whenever, not just when the ball is on the green.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by HMA084 View Post
    fair enough, well I guess thats one I have seen let slide and a lot of times.....

thanks for the clarification
    you can putt with it in, you're only penalised two strokes if you hit it.

a guy at our club did it a few months back. had a 100+ foot putt and thought he had no chance of holing it, so he putt instead of waiting for one of his partners to remove the pin.

do you want to guess what happened next?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    a think at least two years, possibly even longer AP.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    A few of these rules are great examples of how to slow play down.

So you have a rake at one end to retrieve and you are at the opposite end. Practicality says you go in retrieve it, rake and then walk down and hit your ball. Anyone that calls someone for doing that has to be taking anal pills. You can test the surface in the area you are playing simply by taking your stance, so raking is hardly testing the surface.

If I read some of these quoted rules, when I am under a tree I can even move the sticks under my feet as it improves my stance...well **** me I am not going to fall arse over just because there is a 2" lump of wood under my feet.

Accidental movements are hardly something I am going to call people on. Shit happens and we are all playing for fun not sheep stations.

Cheating - ie deliberate acts to improve a result - yep call away.
    Hux, I agree with you that a lot of the rules are time wasters and seem petty, but, they are the rules of the game we love. If you want to play the game, play by the rules, because they are the same for everyone.
    Growing older but not up

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    About 6 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    You can remove the flag and be holding it while you tap in.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Yep you can be holding the flag when you putt. Just like you can have it tended whenever, not just when the ball is on the green.
    Pretty sure the rules says that you can be holding it but its not allowed to be touching the ground???
    "SHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Yes, but you can't be leaning on it i.e. using it for support. Many seem to interpret that if the flag is touching the green then you are using it for support. Hard to argue with, rightly or wrongly.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Life's too short.

I'm usually too busy foot-wedging my ball out of the bushes to bother watching other players.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Hux View Post
    A few of these rules are great examples of how to slow play down.

So you have a rake at one end to retrieve and you are at the opposite end. Practicality says you go in retrieve it, rake and then walk down and hit your ball. Anyone that calls someone for doing that has to be taking anal pills. You can test the surface in the area you are playing simply by taking your stance, so raking is hardly testing the surface.

If I read some of these quoted rules, when I am under a tree I can even move the sticks under my feet as it improves my stance...well **** me I am not going to fall arse over just because there is a 2" lump of wood under my feet.

Accidental movements are hardly something I am going to call people on. Shit happens and we are all playing for fun not sheep stations.

Cheating - ie deliberate acts to improve a result - yep call away.
    I trust you have briefed your HP guys with the same relaxed view of the "rules" Hux

The problem with not at least pointing out the potential rule breaches is that you just further embed the rules ignorance out there and set them up for a fall when they next get paired with a rule nazi. I am continually amazed at the how some interpret even the most basic and regularly used rules e.g. NPRs and hazard options.

You can definitely have it touching the ground, but I can't find anything about disallowing the use of the flagstick to support yourself. This seems discriminatory against fat people or skinny people in windy conditions.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

17 1/5 in the decision book says it is allowed to hold the flagstick while putting.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    17 1/5 in the decision book says it is allowed to hold the flagstick while putting.
    We must be viewing the same page at the same time. There is nothing there about support though.

It's a good thread. I let a bit slide, but nothing for myself knowingly. Perhaps I should be sending PMs to those that have made indiscretions.

I was told by our Course Director that rule 14-3 applies.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I trust you have briefed your HP guys with the same relaxed view of the "rules" Hux

The problem with not at least pointing out the potential rule breaches is that you just further embed the rules ignorance out there and set them up for a fall when they next get paired with a rule nazi. I am continually amazed at the how some interpret even the most basic and regularly used rules e.g. NPRs and hazard options.
    They're not mine - ask ddasey about their state of relaxation on rules However let me say they always have the power of discretion....fits my point above!

But yes I work in a rules based organisation and have a reasonable understanding on the ones I need, however I can also tell you that no one knows everything!!

The thing with calling rules breaches is that we see here some quite disparate interpretations on rules amongst people who are reading rules and interpreting decisions. Which are right...stands to reason that at least 50% of conflicting views are wrong.

So call someone for a penalty on a debateable point or something done in good faith and all you will end up with is someone who thinks you are a prick with nothing else to do bar be the golf course lawyer. Personally I deal daily with conflict - don't need to take it home or on the course.

How and when you chose to educate someone on golf rules would probably have a lot to do with how it is received.
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Senior Member Major Winner

We have preferred lies at our course. Have had for ages. My ball pulled up 6 feet short of a water hazard (mown grass, decent lie), but I improved it. I then realised my ball was about 2 feet inside the red painted line (worn out - only realised the paint 5m to my left).

Not happy Jan. As easy as it would have been to 'let it slide', I pointed it out to one of the guys in my group - he had no idea until I told him.

The fact the area was mown and I had a decent lie.... I didn't even stop to think that I was in the hazard.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Something that is very common is the gimme putt. If it's an inch or two I don't have a problem but some people stretch it way too far. I've missed too many 6 inch putts over the years to consider them a gimme.

Something that is very common is the gimme putt. If it's an inch or two I don't have a problem but some people stretch it way too far. I've missed too many 6 inch putts over the years to consider them a gimme.
    I've never had, or ever given a gimme putt. I didn't think they existed anymore (rightfully).

I saw one of the better players in our club miss a 2 inch putt the other day. The fact he left it an inch and a half short makes it more embrassing for him !

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan View Post
    I've never had, or ever given a gimme putt. I didn't think they existed anymore (rightfully).
    Happens all the time up here. I always putt out myself but if I'm in a group giving away gimmes I'll just go with the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    I saw one of the better players in our club miss a 2 inch putt the other day. The fact he left it an inch and a half short makes it more embrassing for him !
    When I was playing at Fox Hills I was putting on very heavily (poorly) cored and sanded greens. My ball was sitting in a very large hole about the same distance away. When I went to tap it in, I effectively ran my putter across the top of the ball. I was very embarrassed but the game went on.

I later thought about it though - the ball never moved from its position, the shot didn't necessarily count as a stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    I saw Adam Scott miss one that was about an inch. (years ago when he and Badds hit the scene) He went to tap it in and missed it. Air swing.

Happens all the time up here. I always putt out myself but if I'm in a group giving away gimmes I'll just go with the flow.
    Really, that surprises me and I would probably insist on everyone putting out.

Even though it would hurt me in the end by missing short prick of putts !

Thread Information