Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by terrys View Post
    I've played with a guy who thinks NPR is Nicest Point of Relief, rather than Nearest Point of Relief. I pick him up on it every time because he gives me the shits.
    That would have to be one of the most abused rules in golf. How many pick up the ball (without marking the spot) before they work out the NPR?.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    That would have to be one of the most abused rules in golf. How many pick up the ball (without marking the spot) before they work out the NPR?.

Too many!

In a similar situation, a guy in our group went into the water on the first last Sat. I didn't see it, so I couldn't comment, but the others in the group were amazed at the beautiful spot he must have crossed the hazard line. Just ahead of the trees, in the short grass, incredible luck!

Senior Member Major Winner

I saw somebody move a leaf from behind his ball and the ball moved. He looked at me and I said not to worry, I didn't see a thing.

We were playing matchplay and he ended up winning that hole.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I saw somebody move a leaf from behind his ball and the ball moved. He looked at me and I said not to worry, I didn't see a thing.

We were playing matchplay and he ended up winning that hole.
    I agree with that Mike, fair call, good sportsmanship.

I let a guy re-drop in a match play final a few years ago, on the 16th, when he got a horrible lie when taking relief from a drain.

Technically, we both should have been DQ'd, but who was going to call it?

I've seen plenty of times where a player's ball has moved on the green after they've addressed it. I disregard it because it's a stupid rule.

It is my most hated rule in golf. It doesn't help that I play a course that gets very windy either. I tend to never look close enough to be put in the situation where I would have to call someone.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    I think you can rake a bunker prior to playing your shot. As long as you do not do it to test the condition, alter your stance etc.
    looked into that before, cos i got pulled up on it, when i picked up a rake from one end of the bunker and smoothed my footprint over before going to where my ball was on the other side.

the ruling in the decisions was clear - cant do it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

woo - some doozies in here. search rules.

bunkers - per PeteyD and Mo. other cases - it gets interesting when rake chucked in, bounces and hits and moves ball. or say moving sand on backswing.
    ball moving - Aussie Golf Digest did a good summary recently. moves prior to commencing backswing - if caused by you, move back to original position, +1, away you go. after backswing commenced and swing not stopped, continue to hit the ball. +1. stopped backswing - move ball back to original position, +1, away you go.
    on putting surface - do what Jack did after being penalised early in his career - learn to never ground your putter. no problem then.

remember - with provisionals, can't be played once going forward to look for a ball. (happened at the Champs). becomes the ball in play, even if original ball is then found.

my2c

remember - with provisionals, can't be played once going forward to look for a ball. (happened at the Champs). becomes the ball in play, even if original ball is then found.
    you sure? you can keep playing the provisional up until you reach where the other ball might be. its a speed of play issue.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

i think he was meaning that you can't go look for a ball and then come back and hit a provisional, while the others still look.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I've noticed a trend with people picking up the ball to identify it as theirs then tossing back down. I have never seen this done on the fairway but I have seen it happen in the rough, plenty of times.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    looked into that before, cos i got pulled up on it, when i picked up a rake from one end of the bunker and smoothed my footprint over before going to where my ball was on the other side.

the ruling in the decisions was clear - cant do it.

how long ago? may have changed since then. Rules 13-2 Improving Lie, Stance, etc & 13-4 Ball in Hazard; Prohibitions + Decisions.

basically gotta be careful if raking in bunker before hand not to improve lie or stance + not be seen to be testing the condition of the bunker. what PeterD and Moe said.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    i think he was meaning that you can't go look for a ball and then come back and hit a provisional, while the others still look.
    um, whoops, yup, that's what i meant. to clarify - can't put a provisional in play once going forward to look for your original. (Rule 27-2a, Decision 27-2a/1.5)

& yes, if you have correctly put one into play, can (and should) keep playing it until it reaches "the place where the original ball is likely to be" (Rule 27-2b).

here's an interesting one - you've got a bunker in front of you. you're out of the bunker. you're worried about chunking it into the bunker. you see someone's footprints in the bunker. they're inline between your ball and the hole. can you rake the footprints before playing your ball?

no, improves the line of play (Rule 13-2, Decision 13-2/28 )

another one - now you're in the bunker with a huge wall in front of you. you decide to play out backwards. the bunker you were in and your footprints are now inline between where your ball is and the hole. you're worried about chunking it into the bunker, back into your old footprints. can you rake the bunker before playing the ball that is sitting out of the bunker.

yes Rule 13-4 exception 2 - allowed to smooth bunker without restriction after hitting ball out. & Decision 13-4/37.5

I've seen plenty of times where a player's ball has moved on the green after they've addressed it. I disregard it because it's a stupid rule.
    Do they even have rules in FNQ?
    Forum needs more banter.

Not many.

Doesn't matter what rules they have up there. You can't pick and choose which ones you want to enforce.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

A few of these rules are great examples of how to slow play down.

So you have a rake at one end to retrieve and you are at the opposite end. Practicality says you go in retrieve it, rake and then walk down and hit your ball. Anyone that calls someone for doing that has to be taking anal pills. You can test the surface in the area you are playing simply by taking your stance, so raking is hardly testing the surface.

If I read some of these quoted rules, when I am under a tree I can even move the sticks under my feet as it improves my stance...well **** me I am not going to fall arse over just because there is a 2" lump of wood under my feet.

Accidental movements are hardly something I am going to call people on. Shit happens and we are all playing for fun not sheep stations.

Cheating - ie deliberate acts to improve a result - yep call away.
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    You can't pick and choose which ones you want to enforce.
    I do.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

What do people do when they see a player inadvertently doing something that isn't allowed under the rules of golf ?

Do they leave it slide, take up with the player at the time of the issue or do they choose an appropriate time to let the player know of what they were doing wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
    What do people do when they see a player inadvertently doing something that isn't allowed under the rules of golf ?

Do they leave it slide, take up with the player at the time of the issue or do they choose an appropriate time to let the player know of what they were doing wrong ?
    friend of mine played with a new member today who just got his hcapp .monthly medal stroke.after the new member put 2 ob was playing 8 from greenside bunker.my friend watched him ground his club.only after the new member had finished the hole for an eleven did he tell him about the rules of grounding a club in a hazard.
    new member was very apolagetic and very thankfull for my friends relaying of the rules (and not calling penalty)
    new member now knows the rule and had an enjoyable day with his 84 net

good result allround

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

THe ball moving on the green at address has issues.

Whilst playing cored greens, the ball has a tendancy to 'fall' into the core holes - if a player is addressing it or not.

Its bloody harsh to penalise someone because the piece on grass the ball is on collapses due to maintenance procedures being undertaken on the green.

I've seen it and let it ride before

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    friend of mine played with a new member today who just got his hcapp .monthly medal stroke.after the new member put 2 ob was playing 8 from greenside bunker.my friend watched him ground his club.only after the new member had finished the hole for an eleven did he tell him about the rules of grounding a club in a hazard.
    new member was very apolagetic and very thankfull for my friends relaying of the rules (and not calling penalty)
    new member now knows the rule and had an enjoyable day with his 84 net

good result allround
    Good call by your mate. Have to look after the newbies.

My son (16 at the time) started playing about 3 years ago. He struggled to play to 27. One day he was playing in a comp with a rules nazi. Son was having a good round, looked like hitting in the 80s. His 16th hole (hole #7 , index 1) he put his 3rd shot to an inch of the hole. In his excitement he walked up and tapped it in with the flag in. Nazi hit him with a 2 shot penalty. He was shattered. Next 2 holes he had an 8 and a 12.

Gotta look after the newbies.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

If I walk onto the tee of a par 3 and find myself between clubs how far can I go backwards to ensure a full swing? I thought there was only a short distance.

I played last week with a bloke who walked back ten meters. I didn't say anything as I wasn't sure/couldn't be bothered.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Tee box is 2 club lengths deep. He played from outside the tee area. That shot should be ignored and he plays 3 from the correct place.
    Growing older but not up

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    how long ago? may have changed since then. Rules 13-2 Improving Lie, Stance, etc & 13-4 Ball in Hazard; Prohibitions + Decisions.
    I am not seeing anything that supports that, Decision 13-4/0.5 seems pretty clear (highlighted in bold).

Q. What is meant by “test the condition of the hazard” in Rule 13-4a?

A. The term covers all actions by which the player could gain more information about the hazard than could be gained from taking his stance for the stroke to be made, bearing in mind that a certain amount of digging in with the feet in the sand or soil is permitted when taking the stance for a stroke.

Examples of actions that would not constitute testing the condition of the hazard include the following:

• digging in with the feet for a stance, including for a practice swing, anywhere in the hazard or in a similar hazard;
    • placing an object, such as clubs or a rake, in the hazard;
    • leaning on an object (other than a club) such as a rake while it is touching the ground in the hazard or water in a water hazard;
    • touching the hazard with an object (other than a club) such as a towel (touching with a club would be a breach of Rule 13-4b); or
    • marking the position of the ball with a tee or otherwise when proceeding under a Rule.

Examples of actions that would constitute testing the condition of the hazard in breach of Rule 13-4a include the following:

• digging in with the feet in excess of what would be done for a stance for a stroke or a practice swing;
    • filling in footprints from a previous stance (e.g., when changing stance to make a different type of stroke);
    • intentionally sticking an object, such as a rake, into sand or soil in the hazard or water in a water hazard (but see Rule 12-1);
    • smoothing a bunker with a rake, a club or otherwise (but see Exception 2 to Rule 13-4);
    • kicking the ground in the hazard or water in a water hazard; or
    • touching the sand with a club when making a practice swing in the hazard or in a similar hazard (but see Exception 3 to Rule 13-4). (New)

--
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Good call by your mate. Have to look after the newbies.

My son (16 at the time) started playing about 3 years ago. He struggled to play to 27. One day he was playing in a comp with a rules nazi. Son was having a good round, looked like hitting in the 80s. His 16th hole (hole #7 , index 1) he put his 3rd shot to an inch of the hole. In his excitement he walked up and tapped it in with the flag in. Nazi hit him with a 2 shot penalty. He was shattered. Next 2 holes he had an 8 and a 12.

Gotta look after the newbies.
    I dont get it? What rule was broken there? You cant putt with the flag in?

Thread Information