Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Classic Clubs

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I play a set of Spalding Greg Norman blades from 1980. I've never hit the ball better. I think they make me concentrate more.

I'm about to put some KBS shafts in a set of Spalding Custom Crafted blades, the ones Norman used when he won his first British Open.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Will be interesting to see how the old heads perform with the new shafts Terry?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Please Ask your mate if he has the original PGF Steel Eagle. Would like to see a photo of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    These?

Nope, that looks like Version 2 which came out in 84
    The ones I had were the originals and didnt have any cavity, much like a modern mizuno blade, had a tough looking eagle logo and no poofy pink paint fill either
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 26th November 2009 at 06:29 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

pete, how much do you want for that Cleveland Classic?

Member Monthly medal winner

I'd be happy to play a retro game.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Did slazengers have everyones name on em' cos i have a set of slazenger nicklaus golden bear mk.iv's that my dad used and now i use :S
    WITB
    Titleist 909d2 9.5
    Titleist 909f3 13
    Nickent 3dx Utility 19
    Cleveland Cg7 tour BP 3-PW
    Titleist Vokey 52.08, 58.12 M grind
    Odyssey Proto 35"

Holmes-Link

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

You cant beat the look of the persimmon headed woods and blade irons. I have a macgregor 1w in the shed somewhere and a set of maxfli australian blades and currently play mizuno mp33 blades.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    take some strapping and deep heat gel.
    I didn't manage to get to the range on Thursday, but had a long session with the MacGregors yesterday. Boy was it humid!, went through 3 gloves, all finished totally saturated.

I hit them reasonably well, but they are close to 2 clubs in distance shorter than my gamers. I expected about 1 club because the lofts are weaker, but the stiff shafts have me a little shorter also I think, but very straight which was a positive. Also the reshafts have been done at std length, rather than +1/2" which my gamers are, so the 6i is the same length as my 8i gamer. Might have to get him to fix that at some stage. The 4w and 5w were good, 1w a bit variable. I might add the 3w out of another set and perhaps my 1 iron. Putter will probably be my old PGF Ping clone from the same era.

Thinking now about what ball I should use?

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Get some Hot Dots!

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

No brainer - Vision.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I hit them reasonably well, but they are close to 2 clubs in distance shorter than my gamers. I expected about 1 club because the lofts are weaker, but the stiff shafts have me a little shorter also I think, but very straight which was a positive.
    I found the same thing due to the weaker lofts, Dave.

I was playing 21* hybrid, then 4-PW, then 50, 54

Now I play 21* hybrid, 3-9, 50, 54.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazandnic
    Will be interesting to see how the old heads perform with the new shafts Terry?
    yeah, I'm wondering the same thing, Waz. Don't think it should be a problem at all though. I'll probably get to it next week. I'll pull the heads this afternoon while I'm reshafting some putters. That'll inspire me to get it done for next week.

Member Monthly medal winner

I didn't manage to get to the range on Thursday, but had a long session with the MacGregors yesterday. Boy was it humid!, went through 3 gloves, all finished totally saturated.

I hit them reasonably well, but they are close to 2 clubs in distance shorter than my gamers. I expected about 1 club because the lofts are weaker, but the stiff shafts have me a little shorter also I think, but very straight which was a positive. Also the reshafts have been done at std length, rather than +1/2" which my gamers are, so the 6i is the same length as my 8i gamer. Might have to get him to fix that at some stage. The 4w and 5w were good, 1w a bit variable. I might add the 3w out of another set and perhaps my 1 iron. Putter will probably be my old PGF Ping clone from the same era.

Thinking now about what ball I should use?
    Daves, I asked Boz about that and he suggested the Gel series. Also the UV are ok but he said the Gel is softer and therefore better for the persimmon woods.

At the TRGA last year the ball of choice was the Srixon soft feel but some players were not impressed by the lack of spin. They're now looking at the Precept or Lady Pearl something...
    I think the GEL has more spin that that Srixon but I might leave that to Boz. If that's the case Boz you might have your balls in play at the next TRGA tournament?

Blog Entries

For persimmon woods, you need a high spinning ball as the weight lies behind the centre of the face. The change in weight positioning is one of the big advantages new generation clubs enjoy.

Pete
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    No brainer - Vision.
    Of course, but which model?

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    For persimmon woods, you need a high spinning ball as the weight lies behind the centre of the face. The change in weight positioning is one of the big advantages new generation clubs enjoy.

Pete
    That was my understanding Pete, hence the question because the UVs I use are low spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippolo View Post
    Daves, I asked Boz about that and he suggested the Gel series. Also the UV are ok but he said the Gel is softer and therefore better for the persimmon woods.

At the TRGA last year the ball of choice was the Srixon soft feel but some players were not impressed by the lack of spin. They're now looking at the Precept or Lady Pearl something...
    I think the GEL has more spin that that Srixon but I might leave that to Boz. If that's the case Boz you might have your balls in play at the next TRGA tournament?
    Thanks for asking the man Pip. I was thinking Gel or X2/X3.

Of course, but which model?
    Not sure it matters Dave, have a feeling you may not be able to tell the difference with the older clubs. All the Visions I have hit seem to be low compression. I'm going with the X3.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Blog Entries

Daves,

If you are over my way (Sinnamon Park) I will give you a sleeve of Royal Maxfli Balata's. Best ball made until the Pro V made them obsolete.

Regards,

Pete
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Daves,

If you are over my way (Sinnamon Park) I will give you a sleeve of Royal Maxfli Balata's. Best ball made until the Pro V made them obsolete.

Regards,

Pete
    Thanks Pete, might take you up on that offer when I get the chance. Yell out when you are starting to get around again if want a cart ride around a golf course on an Ozgolf day sometime.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Noice henno, yours?

What would be good Brissy course to play a classic clubs tourney on? Not too long, one that demands shot making over distance. Suggestions?
    Tenterfield would be a great vintage day out.

Irons - Tour Classic stainless steel Irons are hand-forged for the ultimate in feel and playability. Designed to the specifications that top players demand - the Tour Classic blade is ground to place the weight behind the impact area. Featuring a clear, thin top line and straight leading edge, Brosnan Tour Classic Irons give a thoroughly satisfying feel at impact. Available : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Pitching Wedge and Sand Iron.

I just scored a set of these with DG R200U and new Lamkin cord grips for $40 at Cashies

Excellent idea.

IMG_0420[1].jpg

These the first series?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Pretty sure it is. First model was a shiney simple chrome blade. 2nd model was a satin finish and from memory too complex a design to be forged.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I would love a set of DP30s.......
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Pretty sure it is. First model was a shiney simple chrome blade. 2nd model was a satin finish and from memory too complex a design to be forged.
    Apparently the set I have used to be Alex Mercers.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by davepuppies View Post
    I would love a set of DP30s.......
    I used to have a set... I sold them to Rod Morri

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Don't know if these clubs meet the definition of 'classic' but I found them while doing a bit of clean up on the parents farm. There is a 5iron and a putter. Clubs made by Slazenger. Look like they have been cut down for a kid to use. As a reference the 5iron is 28 & 1/2 inches. Anyone know if they are of any value or worth restoring?

IMG_0866.JPGIMG_0867.JPGIMG_0868.JPG

Thread Information