Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Default The Inaugural Sandgroper Champs Re-cap. Scores and photos inside.

Well, what a fantastic weekend of golf.

6 of the most easy going blokes you could find, plus TourFit.

The courses were all superb. For $65 in green fees for the entire weekend, quite unbelievable really.

For the most important details, here is the break down:

Total stableford points:

1st:
    Johnny Canuck, the "real JC" and poker champ (can this man lose anything?), and your winner in a playoff, 77 points
    2nd:
    i-tree-golfguy, proved he can throw a few pygmy punches, 77 points

Tied after 45 holes, we were lucky to have enough space behind us to return the 2 top golfers back to the 18th tee for a playoff. JC hit his approach to a foot (nearly holing it for eagle) on the 336m par 4. Idgolfguy, after hitting a perfect drive, hit his approach to about 18 feet, and missed the birdie chance.

However, the real winner this weekend was the Callaway Tour-i. Great ball. All 3 leaders in the final group were playing them today and thoroughly enjoyed it. On a side note, JC won a dozen pills (Tour i's) for an eagle on the 488m 7th at Bunbury! Driver, 3 wood to 15 feet and one putt. Well deserved.

3rd:
    ad-joaquin-lo, did more of a river phoenix on day 2, 76 points
    4th:
    Yossari-tartan, shorts so bad he can make 3 men spew, 75 points
    T5th:
    Zuesgolfer, a much better snorer than he is a putter, 71 points

Old man Simmsy, proving that day old toast can taste good with the best 18 hole score for the weekend at Bunbury, 71 points

LAST PLACE:
    Mr 3 Stripe, TourVan-man, TourFit, lost his cool with the unplanned 3 stripe renovation on the SS ute, 70 points. TourFit, as well as the Maxibon NAGA shirt, I think you should pick up one of these:

A 3 stripe tank. That is what you did today.

For the MegaWatty Trophy for total putts:

1st: JC, 75.5 putts
    2nd: i-tree, 78.5 putts
    3rd: 3 stripe tank, 79 putts
    4th: simmsy, 80.5 putts (well done today breaking 30 putts mate)
    5th: Yossarian, 84.5 putts
    6th: adlo, 86 putts
    7th: Broom-golfer, 92 putts

Overall, most putting stats were pretty impressive. Well done JC, you putted very solid, as always. If I was a gambling man, I would have won some coin backing you.

I'll post some pics, and I am sure some banter will follow.

In regards to my tanking on day 2 with the home course advantage. Lets just say that someone spiked my drink, or built a wall in front of me at the poker table. The word "rotten" quite aptly describes how I felt from about 2am Saturday night until now. Still hurting. Was struggling to even get up to get to the golf course. Thankfully, a last minute chuck did wonders, and I made it to the course. Played with a cart so I had a chance of making it. Started bogey-par-bogey for 6 points through 3, was leading by 4 points. Hit the wall again on 8, wiped 3 straight holes, but fought back with par on 11, birdie on 12 and a great sand save par on 13. Put me back in the lead. Struggled from there. 3 jacked 16 with a stupid downhill 4 footer left short, and then wiped 17 getting stuck in between 3 tree trunks and battling to get out. Had a 12-15 foot breaking par putt on 18 to force a 3 way playoff, but I hit it low. Way too low. Just too low. Oh well. Was pretty happy to stay in contention given the circumstances.

The photo gallery:

It begins........

Mandurah Country Club was a delightful track. Fascinating even.......
    This is the 1st tee, our tenth, great tee box/shot.

The brute, 201m par 3 6th. Golfers on in regulation: zero.

The Canuck chuck, not happy with the fringe putt. Didn't matter, I made my birdie putt to take the skins.

Where did the rain come from? Bloody Mandurah. Yossarian and Zuesgolfer get to know each other a little better.

18 holes down, 9 more to go for Saturdays hit.

Time for a quick visit to the "Tour Van". Great call Zues.

Teeing off #1 at Binningup. Tired and sore, almost all the drives get crushed down the middle.

Looking back down #2 at the first golfer to don the Naga shirt, Mrs Simmsy. A random bloke joined us to make a 4 ball. All I can say about him is Woh! Woh! Wee-ah! Great success!

Yossarian lining up for a power fade off #3, the best way to tackle a 520m par 5 with an uphill fairway into a headwind. Found the gravel track. High 5!

One of the best views in golf, looking down #3, ocean vistas, and Mrs Simms 3rd shot dead in the scrub left Weather looking ominous.

My favourite walk between tees in all of golf, from #3 to #4 at Binningup. The tee box is so well placed, you can hardly see it.

Tee shot on #5, 445m par 5, dog leg 90 degrees right. Mr Canuck was sure he was going to eagle the hole. Not even close, missed by 2 inches! We were, however, about to get wet again.

Pretty as a picture over #6. Rumour has it that TourFit's Scottish blood forced him to wipe the hole and disappear to search for the pot o'gold at the end of the rainbow.

Continued post #2.....
    Last edited by adlo; 9th November 2009 at 03:02 AM.
    Naturally grippy

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I remember that putt like yesterday. It was on 15. I was pissed at the ghey effort.

Yoss and Zeus was on the right side of the 16th.

The shot of the Simms brothers is amazing how similar their mannerisms are. I think it is safe to say there is a lot of Gav living on through Mrs Simms.

ID, I thought those were the legendary size 52 shorts.

Thread Information