Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Going to Barnbougle Dunes after the Masters

Yep, that's right. Going to Barbougle.

I have 3 days spare after the Aust Masters, so instead of doing the Great Ocean Road (again), I'm nipping across Bass Strait to see what all of the fuss is about.

With Barnbougle apparently being one of those dangerous type courses (lots of buried elephants, howling winds & long, long rough) I'm considering leaving the driver at home & just playing 3 wood off the tee to ensure the ball stays on the short stuff.

I'm interested in the thoughts of those who've played it? Is it a 'leave the driver in the bag' type of course?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I have never played it or seen many photos but I would take the driver and use it on the holes you feel confident doing so.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

You will love the place mate it is just pure magic. There are some holes where you can unleash the big dog especially if the wind is behind you
    There was loads of run the time I played there, but if you miss the fairway don't try and blast out of the knee deep stuff it is like steel wool.

You will play shots you have never had to play at any other course trying to navigate massive mounds and undulations.
    There are a couple of blind tee shots that play with your mind a bit. If the wind gets up it usually means at least 3 clubs difference. One tip I will give you, practice the bump & run shot you will use it a lot. Good luck and have a ball

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueReview View Post
    I'm interested in the thoughts of those who've played it? Is it a 'leave the driver in the bag' type of course?
    No, no, no. Take your driver - just make sure you hit it staight.

Seriously, there is reasonable width on most fairways. If the wind gets up it's tough & you can get 3 & 4 club breezes on a regular basis.

A lot of guys I've played with in the U.K. play a little knock down driver when the wind gets up. It their way of keeping it under the breeze.

Thanks guys. All good advice so far.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

there is heaps of width. Hit driver on every par 4 and 5.

Make sure you get a course guide as well.

Good luck with the 7th - played that prick into the wind 4 times in sept. It is a 95m par 3.

Best was a 4 and that I hit a seven iron from the tee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Make sure you get a course guide as well.
    Taking the Sureshot GPS. Do you recommend the course guide also?

I did both as well. The course guide is only $10 and is a nice momento.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

On 8 and 17 driver is required from the blacks.

Take driver on 4 at least once - just to see.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by rodders View Post
    Good luck with the 7th - played that prick into the wind 4 times in sept. It is a 95m par 3.

Best was a 4 and that I hit a seven iron from the tee!!!

I agree... the 7th would have to be close to my favourite hole in golf! Favourite Par 3 at least. Played there twice into a gale and hit 7 iron first time and 6 iron second time... both pin high! Great hole and shows you don't need a Par 3 to be long to be tough.

And yeah take Driver... have a bash, there are some wide open fairways... and into the wind you may just need it to keep the ball down lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    On 8 and 17 driver is required from the blacks.

Take driver on 4 at least once - just to see.
    On 17 into the wind i couldn't make it to the fairway with driver from the blacks!
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Great memories by the sounds of it guys. Looking forward to creating some of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post
    On 17 into the wind i couldn't make it to the fairway with driver from the blacks!
    That is a hard drive. Played the blacks only and it is a test to reach short stuff.

I think 17 and 18 are bloody hard after walking the rest of the course. And when the wind blows... bon chance!

Okay then, looks like I'll be taking the driver.

Given it can blow fairly hard, at Barnbougle would you play (1) a high spin ball (eg. ProV1, Nike One Tour) or (2) a lower spin distance ball? (eg. ProV1x, Nike One Tour D)
    Last edited by TheTrueReview; 7th November 2009 at 08:37 PM.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

i doubt it makes any difference.

Given it can blow fairly hard, at Barnbougle would you play (1) a high spin ball (eg. ProV1, Nike One Tour) or (2) a lower spin distance ball? (eg. ProV1x, Nike One Tour D)
    Whatever you play, take lots.

Treat anything other than fairway as water cause you're wasting your time looking for it!

They have a local rule at Barnbougle, I think it's called an Irish drop. If you hit it into the rough you don't bother looking, just drop another ball on the fairway at piont of entry for the usual penalty. I agree with the rule, it is very penal off the fairway. Having said that you can certainly hit driver, there is plenty of room on most of the long holes. On 8 if you don't get it a long way out there you will have no chance of even going for the green.
    There are 4 tee positions of course, terra-cotta are the second longest but a driver is still needed to have a realistic go at the greens with an iron in hand from these tees. The blacks are recommended for scratch to 4 marker I think. I'm heading back at the end of the month with 7 other guys. Definately a challenge but a magnificent golfing experience.
    Last edited by Oldplayer; 7th November 2009 at 10:42 PM.

I lost 2 balls in 63 holes played, there is plenty of width - like most good courses
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I'd be interested to hear what the condition of Barnbougle Dunes is like. My source tells me that they haven't been giving it the amount of attention it needs as Richard Sattler is directing all resources to the Lost Farm.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Banned

Don't bother with the front tees, play from the back.

Def driver on 8 it's a monster, i crushed the driver and pured a 4 iron to the heart of an elevated green, great hole.

Sensational course and will surely fill up your memory bank. As a tasmanian the old man, my bro and I have taken the challenge up a number of times, each with different outcomes. The Driver is an absolute MUST, heaps of width and if the wind is blowing right you can bomb one out over 300, especially on the 11th or 14th... asking for this kind of wind will make 17 and 18 difficult to reach the fairway as a few of the guys have already noted. Enjoy!
    Is it Saturday yet?

Welcome to Ozgolf pistol. Make sure to introduce yourself in the Introductions forum.

Thread Information