Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Fishing

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamo84 View Post
    They are huge flatties!!! some very good eating there for sure
    No, no, no.....!!! Up here we have to let the 'big girls' go... IMO from season after that rule got made, the amount of rat flatties increased... Been around for a few years now, and I know I catch more fish. For the record, I very rarely keep a feed of flatties, which is criminal in itself, as they are so good on the chew.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by popper81 View Post
    No, no, no.....!!! Up here we have to let the 'big girls' go... IMO from season after that rule got made, the amount of rat flatties increased... Been around for a few years now, and I know I catch more fish. For the record, I very rarely keep a feed of flatties, which is criminal in itself, as they are so good on the chew.
    Agree, one of the few smart regulations they have imposed. The best eating flatties are the smaller ones anyway. The big ones tend to be a bit dry in comparison.

I managed to go for quick flick at the champs for not even a knock..... Lucky though, as i could have run into this monster.

422769_340206092696403_100001210461458_1067012_696005364_n.jpg

78cm mangrove jack caught in a LAKE on the Sunny Coast in the last couple of weeks.... Rumour has it was caught on a live toddler.... No wonder they don't have crocs @ Noosa anymore, that thing is seriously MEAN!
    Last edited by popper81; 6th September 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Flathead is awesome...

remember when it was $5 a kilo and about as popular as mullet... ??

What is a "Rat" flatty

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Flathead is awesome...

remember when it was $5 a kilo and about as popular as mullet... ??

What is a "Rat" flatty
    Just the little fellas, say under 20cms, born in the previous couple of seasons.

any tips on barra fishing? Heading to Normanton in a couple of weeks. Camping near the Norman River and apparently the fishing is good off the old old road bridge.

Is it worth taking my little (cheap) rod or should i just hire something up there?

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Loaded question really... What type of fishing will you do? Lure or Bait?

not a loaded question. I have NFI. I've only ever fished in the ocean for whiting/bream/flathead etc using prawns.

golflink WITB

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Christ!! that Jack is a bloody monster, I bet it just about pulled his arms off

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    not a loaded question. I have NFI. I've only ever fished in the ocean for whiting/bream/flathead etc using prawns.
    Having fished Weipa and similar, i would do whatever the locals do... If they are fishing bait, follow their lead etc.. My overall tips would be as following:

# Always fish as "light" as you can.. Tackle, line, sinkers etc. Better to fish light, and loose a fish, than not get a bite at all.
    # Presentation is important - Natural looking, and in action. In most situations the key is to let things look normal. Local baits are the best for this reason.
    # Find your inner hunter - Try and think a bit like a fish, where would you ambush your food if you were a fish in the place you are fishing.
    # Try and find Structure- It holds fish- The smallest branch can hold big schools of fish if there is not much around.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    Thats a ridiculous Jack. I didn't think they got that big.
    Pop...help me out..land based spots on the Goldie or northern NSW. I'm sick of taking the kids places and getting nutten.
    69er, leave it with me.... I will give you some tips over the next few days...

thanks popper.

golflink WITB

Senior Member Major Winner

In thinking like a hunter imagine where the crocs will be hiding to get you.
    I'm back.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Any ozgolfers know which fishing forum is the ozgolf of Aussie fishing forums?

Also keen on any tips you guys may have for targeting bream and whiting with surface lures. I've always used bait/live bait but am finding it a bit boring these days so surface lures seems a good fun challenge.

I'll mainly be fishing in Brisbane Waters on the Central Coast NSW.
    Nickent 4DX Tour 9*
    TM V-Steel 15*
    Adams Pro 20* 23*
    Adams CB2 5-PW
    Cleveland Reg.588 - 50/10, 54/12, 58/8
    Odyssey Black 1 wide
    Ping Hoofer

Quote Originally Posted by dhills2 View Post
    Any ozgolfers know which fishing forum is the ozgolf of Aussie fishing forums? Also keen on any tips you guys may have for targeting bream and whiting with surface lures. I've always used bait/live bait but am finding it a bit boring these days so surface lures seems a good fun challenge. I'll mainly be fishing in Brisbane Waters on the Central Coast NSW.
    Send me a pm.... rather not slag off forums in public !

Aree you a member of any? What are you looking for?

I am in the middle of exam block with uni, so I will back to you over the weekend. TThere is a couple of really good ones!
    Last edited by popper81; 5th October 2012 at 07:28 AM.

And bream in surface lures = easy

Whiting, much tougher

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

There is a brisbane based fishing forum i used to frequent which was really good...Cant mind the name, im sure it had brisbane and fishing in the name tho!

Brisbane Fishing Online

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

dats da fella
    G.O.L.F = Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden. (Unless scantily clad)
    http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4050400688

And bream in surface lures = easy

Whiting, much tougher
    Will be interested in you experience. Tiny Poppers were the thing for Whiting a few years ago. There was a crazy on thong poppers at one stage,. made out of the sole material of a thong. I have had limited success with Poppers, and with unweighted soft plastics. The secret seems to be having the quality gear needed to throw these tiny lures properly.

I guess the I have cracked the code on Bream, and would feel alot more confident of pulling a fish..... As with all fishing, I find when is alot more important than what.

My Guide to Bream on Poppers (this is where my name came from )(NB this is gold coast/tweed based, but it would be the same for all) DISCLAIMER - this is only my experience and from things I have read, learnt and noticed - My fishing handicap is about 27

# Only successful in summer months. In winter, the fish school to breed, so the chance of surface action is slim to none...(First rule of bream fishing - winter fish deep, summer fish high) # Little surface lures, what you are trying copy is small jelly prawns... Little Sammy's, 3B scum dogs or similar... Poppers or walk the dog style lures.
    (I am happy to give some links to my fav lures if some people really want them) Colour is not really important, but always think of what you are trying mimic.
    # In my experience, $$$$ lures catch more fish when times are tough... Cheapies will still draw strikes, but the better ones always outfish them in the the long run.... Around the Gold Coast the see plenty of lures, so you need to be tricked up.
    # I always fish braid, and as light as I can, even 2lb silly string at times, out of the kayak...
    # When fishing poppers for bream, use mono leader, not flurocarbon... ( mono will float on top of the water, flurocarbon sinks)
    # The best time to fish poppers is incoming tide......
    # If it glassy water and very little boat traffic, as a sand bank floods with the tide is perfect time to work them over for bream.... Look for surface action.. This is where good gear helps.... Long cast, with thin line.... Bream will easily spook.
    # Structure is key... It might be the lone stick on a sand bank, or a pontoon... Bream love structure
    # During the day, Bream like the shadows... Look for slipways, planks to pontoons etc that you maybe able to get a cast at/or under...
    # Bream have very short bite windows, but when they do feed they feed hard and almost carefree. On the goldcoast, the best time to get bream on surface lures is as the oyster covered rocks start to go under water again on the flood tide... the bream can't wait to get into them, and as the flood, little poppers arounds them, and you can get some awesome hook ups ( i have had 3 or 4 fish fight over the lure all the way to the kayak ) THIS IS THE WHEN PART - If this rocks are covered, you maybe better fishing shallow runner lures like sx40 a foot under the surface.
    # How do you fish the popper...?? Well that is the age old question.. for me, bream seem to like it to really pause, and twitch, while you are trying your best to keep the lure in the strike zone for as long as posible... BEST ADVICE - YOUTUBE Google bream on surface lures, and watch people.... Something that works today, will not work tmw.. A quick look, this looks pretty good one to start on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9h7PLME-qc

For those of you that can fish, I have made it stupid simple for those that don't....

Whiting

I haven't had the success with these but have jagged a few....

# Whiting love clear lures.... Small and clear!
    # Whiting love a constant retrieve.... Keep the lure moving, a pause will turn them off.
    # The don't mind a little bit of surface chop.
    # God the are fun to catch on poppers...
    # I really can't stress how important watching some youtube vids to get idea style of retrieves the good fisherman are using..
    # This the best vid I have found for it... Look at the location, sorry starlo is a wank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWJCxIl1wSk

Quote Originally Posted by dhills2 View Post
    Any ozgolfers know which fishing forum is the ozgolf of Aussie fishing forums?

Also keen on any tips you guys may have for targeting bream and whiting with surface lures. I've always used bait/live bait but am finding it a bit boring these days so surface lures seems a good fun challenge.

I'll mainly be fishing in Brisbane Waters on the Central Coast NSW.
    Try fish raider, plenty of good stuff but don't post anything too risqué or you'll get banned. I told a joke & got punted
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by JADO75 View Post
    Try fish raider, plenty of good stuff but don't post anything too risqué or you'll get banned. I told a joke & got punted
    Haha What was the joke? I assume it won't get you punted from these parts!
    Nickent 4DX Tour 9*
    TM V-Steel 15*
    Adams Pro 20* 23*
    Adams CB2 5-PW
    Cleveland Reg.588 - 50/10, 54/12, 58/8
    Odyssey Black 1 wide
    Ping Hoofer

Can't fully remember the joke but it was about a penis, didn't think it was too bad at the time tho. Shout out if you ever get out in Brooklyn, I've got a boat & fish there a bit in summer. Also head to lion island & pittwater from there too
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner