Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    My best was a 58cm Jack out of my back yard. Have also caught a Snapper of similar length on a soft plastic, also in my backyard. I have seen GTs cruise past that would be just about be unstoppable!. And the Pike Eels are ginormous!
    I hate you Dave
    I have caught a few nice Jack's in my time, but nothing that big Dave nice work.
    Pound for pound,they would be one of the best fighting fish you will come across.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Jack is what we were after. Or trev/bream on the side.
    The hard bodies weren't happening, bit of bream interest around the pontoons, but not enough to keep us there.
    Paddled a little further, and landed a Tevally 35cm and 4 keeping size flatties with soft plastics. Perfect morning out there, and the kayak is a keeper! time it with the tide and paddling is a thing of the past!!
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kpac View Post
    Jack is what we were after. Or trev/bream on the side.
    The hard bodies weren't happening, bit of bream interest around the pontoons, but not enough to keep us there.
    Paddled a little further, and landed a Tevally 35cm and 4 keeping size flatties with soft plastics. Perfect morning out there, and the kayak is a keeper! time it with the tide and paddling is a thing of the past!!
    Nice Morning.
    Planning to take Tayla out fishing next week. Just have to do some mods to her sit on top kayak so she can have everything tied on so i dont have to go diving for it.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Nice Morning.
    Planning to take Tayla out fishing next week. Just have to do some mods to her sit on top kayak so she can have everything tied on so i dont have to go diving for it.
    Leash's and caribenas a plenty hanging off mine.
    Haven't tried trolling a hard body off as im paddling along, may give that a go tomorrow...
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Yeah I have it on mine but Tayla's is just a kids kayak and has noting to attach to. Going to attach some saddles so there is something to attach to
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Good luck mate.
    Golflink

Member Monthly medal winner

On the way home from a day fishing on Eildon Dam, I stopped past a small river I sometimes fly fish and went for a walk. I found a nice brown trout and decided I'd see how close I could get... tipping it was sick but amazing just the same.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Eag's View Post
    Kent, make sure at some stage (if you haven't already) to have a crack flicking those soft plastics or small hard bodies around in the canals.
    I have read plenty of reports of people fishing in kayaks landing some very nice Mangrove Jack & Large bream by targeting the canals around the Goldie.
    It was quite some time ago but was livin on goldie for two years and used to get some nice Jacks and Bream to 3lb just south of the Mackiri St bridge(spelling ) if you live there you know where it is . just up stream there is or was a park on west side of canal, trees over hanging etc. forget day time (noise maybe) big whitebait at night got them .

But my all time favorite spot was the lake and the lock at Bond Uni man that used to go off . The lock is on a timer stitched to tides near on an hour after high and an hour before low southport times ????? from memory (was 18 years ago). When they open in either direction trevors would gather most days 1 - 2 kgs and every so often tackle smashin monsters . we used to hit them with flies and get smashed spent a motsa on fly line and backing but what a buzz.
    Got intoxicated while there one day may be two whos countin ? got pizza delivered and fished through night and bagged some gutsy jewies (mullaway) upto 15- 20 lb and small shark .

It was a wicked spot prob still is but might get hammered now i would expect! worth a try though.
    Last edited by Daggs; 27th February 2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Everyone brings happiness to my house,
    Some when they arrive and some when they leave.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Too much golf.... Not enough of this lately... Starting to gear up for flatty and jack season here on the goldie... Looking forward to the champs at pelican as well, could sneak out for a flick in the canals

This is my pb flattie to date... 400247_10150619208142292_1670659309_n.jpg

And another big one my little bro got on my birthday ..59810_472323402291_3614607_n.jpg

Mine was 88cm and Greg's 85cm... Have had a 93cm in my boat in the younger days, but way too dumb to have camera's back then.

Have just stumbled upon this on a nother forum... Keith is a good bloke, and a great fisho... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mr3xvD5kqI My copy should be here on Monday

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

We really need to get out for a day Andy. I am getting the boat back into readiness for some =bay trips this coming season. I have been so slack for the past couple of years!

Ironically, I have a number of flatties bigger than that off my pontoon, but am yet to land one!

My boat is just getting started in the post winter prep... I have a solid two weeks booked down here, from october 16, with my cousin from up north..

Driving up to hillbilly town today, got the juices flowing plenty. The Tweed river right up the back reaches scream fish I have a day charter with Brad Smith they I haven't used as well... Will give him a call and get it sussed.. Will sneak out for a quick flattie fish in sep ( have that sussed) then start the jack assualt.

A bit of fishing will no doubt make me remember golf is not the tedious after all

BTW- I do blame you a bit, been reading all those mags... Makes you dream big !

I am normally heading to the Swains for a week in September. I have pulled out of the trip this year and am starting to get the urge to get the boat out a lot more this year.

Funny how it works.... I didn't fish for a year.... Now it is starting to really get at me!!

Quote Originally Posted by popper81 View Post
    Funny how it works.... I didn't fish for a year.... Now it is starting to really get at me!!
    \

Before I got back into Golf, Fishing was an obsession. I have a tackle shop in the garage and shed!

My 15yo son is hooked on fishing. I finally relented about 6 months ago and got him a 13 footer for the creeks and dams up here. He has 3 combos, as he calls them, all worth over $500, just for a rod and reel. We went out last Sunday and got some nice flathead, a couple of small barra and some bream.

On the way home my brand new trailer light board flew off, so I have just spent the last 2 hours rewiring the trailer lights as we are going out again tomorrow. I have a new 15hp Yamaha ordered for it, as the old outboard we have has a dodgy gearbox and pullstart. Compared to fishing and boating, I find golf cheap.

I will try and find some pics of the massive queenies he caught earlier in the year in the Pioneer River.

Swains is great. I went there for about 4 years straight in the late 90's. Always get plenty of fish there. We used to go late August.

I'm lucky enough to have a nice boat too boys, can't wait to get out for a fish once it warms up a bit. I cant believe how hard it is to get mates to come out & have a fish, even if you don't catch plenty, its generally still a great day. I usually get out in Sydney Harbour, Botany or around Pittwater. That's a great lizard pops!
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Yeah, you are lucky up there BITS..

My cousin is a Cairns lad... So I get my tropical fix everyone now and again. I did the run off on the Daly a few years ago and brained the barra, but never got the 1m plus fish. I was born in Innisfail, so I blame that on my fishing addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by JADO75 View Post
    I'm lucky enough to have a nice boat too boys, can't wait to get out for a fish once it warms up a bit. I cant believe how hard it is to get mates to come out & have a fish, even if you don't catch plenty, its generally still a great day. I usually get out in Sydney Harbour, Botany or around Pittwater. That's a great lizard pops!
    Jado ditch Sydney and come up here.... Golf, fishing annd Ho'ing - You will fit right in

Mate, I'd be up there tomoz if I could convince the wife but she has her dance studio set up down here so we aren't going anywhere. I'm from the bush originally, I friggin hate Sydney even tho I've been here for years.
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Here are a few Barra out of Kinchant Dam. These were well over 1 metre.

423445_10150631282122737_662947736_9456343_1472514291_n.jpgBara!.jpg425901_10150631283192737_662947736_9456357_1305058720_n.jpg

100cm Queenie..jpg

Queenie over 110cm as well, caught off the bank of the Pioneer river.

The little barra on the right was caught in our "lagoons" which is a freshwater lake, and part of the botanical gardens, nearly in the middle of the town. We go down there late in the afternoon, have a flick and catch them up to about 70cm.

Good work mate.... So when are the champs coming to Mackay?

Myself and a few of my photos feature on the Swains Charter Boat website;

http://www.kanimblacharters.net.au/

There is me and Onewood (Kev) here. I could make the matchplay final every year.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by popper81 View Post
    Too much golf.... Not enough of this lately... Starting to gear up for flatty and jack season here on the goldie... Looking forward to the champs at pelican as well, could sneak out for a flick in the canals

This is my pb flattie to date... Attachment 18191

And another big one my little bro got on my birthday ..Attachment 18192

Mine was 88cm and Greg's 85cm... Have had a 93cm in my boat in the younger days, but way too dumb to have camera's back then.

Have just stumbled upon this on a nother forum... Keith is a good bloke, and a great fisho... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mr3xvD5kqI My copy should be here on Monday
    They are huge flatties!!! some very good eating there for sure
    Driver - TM R11S 10.5
    Fwy - TM Rocketballz Tour 3 14.5
    Irons -
    TM Burner 2.0 3-PW
    Wedges –
    TM ATV 56 and 60
    Putter -
    TM Fontana Ghost (JDM Spec)
    Ball:
    Titleist NXT Tour
    Bag