Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    I have a fibreglass canadian canoe and a Malibu fishing kayak.

Canoe is great for stability, much more comfortable than the Kayak and can carry heaps more. Much easier to fish out of. Good for long all day trips.

Kayak is better if I'm on my own, gotta be a bit more organised, still plenty stable on the water, just everything has to be reachable from a seated position

Consider where you plan to launch, if you are using boat ramps or not. If you have a long carry from the car to the water, the lighter the craft the better.

I also thought it would be great to have someone with me, truth is once the novelty wears off you're better off on your own. (Ahhh the serenity..) Consider two samll craft rather than one big one. Big craft catch plenty of wind, if it blows up while you're out it can be a LONG, wet and nerve wrecking paddle home.

Really gets the heart racing when you're trying to land a good fish from the Kayak.

Not sure where you are KPAC but you're welcome to take the Canoe out any time. I'm on the Gold Coast.
    Jeez thanks Oscar! Pending when i next get the chance, i might be in contact.

Bit more work to get moving in the canoe isn't it? I've tried the kayak's and they certainly can get uncomfortable after a while, but it's not to hard to pull up and stretch out before paddling back.
    Since looking, some of the stories of guys on the kayaks out on lake moogerah are bloody enticing!
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    I've been fishing once in my life, but it is something that I want to get into (every time I drive over the bridge to Redcliffe GC I see a few guys dropping a line).

Anyone else into it? Any tips?
    Its like golf in lots of ways

* you can waste or enjoy a lot of your life doing it
    * its bloody frustrating at times
    * fishermen can spend an absolute shitload of cash on kit when what they really need a lot of the time is a better/more competent dickhead holding onto their existing kit

I would not be surprised if there is an ozgolf like forum out there somewhere with guys ho-ing fishing kit and talking shit about everything fishing (and everything not fishing)

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Yep and the best site I have found for that Hawker is this one http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/index.php

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by kpac View Post
    So what should i look out for if i'm after a fishing orientated one?
    Mine are all fishing yaks. You're best to go on AKFF and those knobs will be all over you with informative advice.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Eag's,
    Ausfish is the best for a bargin but it is no where near the best fishing related forum these days...... I have only just noticed this fishing thread. I am very impressed . I am a mad keen fisher as well. Have a 4.5m quinnie with a minn kota up front and 35 johnno down the back. Also have a yak for poking around down the goldie in summer..... And for those of you going to the champs, I got this little fella in a canal very close by. Dropped his older (and significantly larger) brother the same arvo....... guess the secret is out where the POPPER comes from

344.resized.jpg

Major Winner

I didn't really do a thorough search, but I was happy with the info I found at Ausfish.

Yeah,
    Still good for a look and plenty of info available. Like most things these days, needs to be read with a grain of salt at times. Big difference of opinon exist regarding bait vs lure, and C&R vs fillets etc, etc, etc and at times people get a little carried away voicing them.... Shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Mine are all fishing yaks. You're best to go on AKFF and those knobs will be all over you with informative advice.
    Yeah i've been there and i've got the kayak. Went for a paddle this afternoon. Will be going for a fish saturday morn. Can't wait.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Blog Entries

What did you get Kpac?
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    What did you get Kpac?
    I'll post a pic after the weekend (hopefully with a catch )
    Got a VIKING AQUA II - got it on the cheap, already had a few guys want to buy it off me for more than i paid, so it'll be a good start.
    It's VERY stable in the water, you'd need to try pretty hard to get wet, so suits the bride perfect. Only issue is i need a little dead weight when i'm going solo otherwise the front is a bit light.
    Got the rod holders and trolly so theres no stopping me now. We'll see how long it lasts.
    Golflink

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

nice pickup kpac.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Blog Entries

Kpac, Nice!

Most fishing kayaks are not built to be fast or easy to paddle quickly, it is a compromise for stability. Probably the worst thing is how much they are effected by wind. Now for the expenses with the gear, SX-40 Hard Bodies are a great lure with heaps of colours available.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Yeah lures are on the list, but i've got enough gear to tie me over for now. Gotta find some good spot before we get too carried away.
    Golflink

Blog Entries

Yeah it adds up quick, here is a link to the current SX-40's on ebay. Dont go to the fishing tackle shops they are just too expensive

http://sport.shop.ebay.com.au/Fishin...=p3286.c0.m282
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

As a numpty who's never tried fishing with lures, do they really work? I typically just grab a frozen pack of prawns or some worms when i'm trying to catch the usual stuff like bream, whiting, flathead etc., cos that's all I've ever known, but surely there's a better way.

Bait shops rip you off at $5+ for those little tiny packs. I can get green prawns in Woolies for about $12 a kilogram, which is much cheaper.

But yeah, have often wondered whether lures would be more cost effective. The guy fishing next to me last week was talking about "soft plastics", which I assume is a lure? Those things grunt linked above look pretty "hard".

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    As a numpty who's never tried fishing with lures, do they really work? I typically just grab a frozen pack of prawns or some worms when i'm trying to catch the usual stuff like bream, whiting, flathead etc., cos that's all I've ever known, but surely there's a better way.

Bait shops rip you off at $5+ for those little tiny packs. I can get green prawns in Woolies for about $12 a kilogram, which is much cheaper.

But yeah, have often wondered whether lures would be more cost effective. The guy fishing next to me last week was talking about "soft plastics", which I assume is a lure? Those things grunt linked above look pretty "hard".
    Short answer is yes they work, but no, they are not anymore cost effective. The other way if anything (more expensive) because you start to collect them! Then there are the in-betweens, the new soft plastics that are soaked in smell and fish attractant, and edible as well!

Senior Member Major Winner

Depends how you cook them Dave

SX-40 Hard Bodies are a great lure with heaps of colours available.
    +1 One of the first that I will grab.... And I firmly believe that when the fishing is tough, good lures score more strikes than the cheap ones. Like Grunt mentioned, get them from ebay. It is way too expensive from from tackle shops.

I have also had alot of success with the 3B range from berkley. Good lure, the surface walker is cracka on the summer bream and trevors.

Lively Lures Micro Mullets are good too.

Lure definitely work BV. Takes practice as opposed to just dropping bait, but much more 'active' of fishing. The wife prefers using bait, as she doesn't have to cast as often. But there's a bit of skill in bait still don't worry. On a kayak where you can cast in close, soft plastics and hard bodies (lures) are good fun. It's impossible to argue that one method is better than the other, but depending on what you're trying for there's certainly a role for both. Currently the wife drops bait a and i've been trying with surface poppers for bass. Neither working outstanding. I have a preference for poppers as i find when you can find the right area with them it's the most exciting form of fishing.
    Golflink

Major Winner

Kent, make sure at some stage (if you haven't already) to have a crack flicking those soft plastics or small hard bodies around in the canals.
    I have read plenty of reports of people fishing in kayaks landing some very nice Mangrove Jack & Large bream by targeting the canals around the Goldie.

Blog Entries

Have heard alsorts of stories about those canals. Much bigger things than Bream too
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Quote Originally Posted by Eag's View Post
    Kent, make sure at some stage (if you haven't already) to have a crack flicking those soft plastics or small hard bodies around in the canals.
    I have read plenty of reports of people fishing in kayaks landing some very nice Mangrove Jack & Large bream by targeting the canals around the Goldie.
    My best was a 58cm Jack out of my back yard. Have also caught a Snapper of similar length on a soft plastic, also in my backyard. I have seen GTs cruise past that would be just about be unstoppable!. And the Pike Eels are ginormous!

This is one of my favourites I found on you tube last summer......... The old red beast have some power.

This is another..... the strike is !!!

Of course it ended in tears, like so often it does!!

Thread Information