Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    Where is it's mother ??? Did you eat it ?
    Nah, put it back. Was of legal length. Have not actually taken anything home yet. Catch & release everything.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Nah, put it back. Was of legal length. Have not actually taken anything home yet. Catch & release everything.
    I can't say I would be keen to eat anything that comes out of there.

Blog Entries

There is an advisory sign at almost every beach west of the Bridge not to consume fish from that point. It is due to Dioxins from the old Union Carbide plant near the Olympic site. There is also a recommended limit to consumption of any fish east of hte Bridge too.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

That article reminds me of a girlfriend who was using my body in the early 1970's at Rockhampton. Her old man had several cattle properties, located just south of Rocky to Duaringa. The property just south of Rocky was prone to flooding around this time of year. Before the flood waters fully subsided we would walk through the paddocks collecting barra, big mullet and threadfin salmon from the pools and depressions.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Member Trainee Pro

This is just my golf cart on water gets me from hole to hole pretty quick

Love fishing but golf and work keep from it these days though might get out this weekend if it isnt to shabby

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I'll be at your place 4:30 am sat oz

s9-1 Pro 10.5 | 906f2 15* 18.5* | Maxfli a10 Tour 3-p| x-forged 52* 58* | Odyssey Black I9

Forum needs more banter.

Carp are nasty.

I took off for a quick flick of a few plastics around Lota creek at low tide late this afternoon. Pulled in 3 flatties in 10 minutes and missed a few more. Easy pickings, but nothing big. Only one of the 3 would have been legal, the rest were in the 35-ish range. Good fun for a shitty creek 2 minutes from my house.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Yeah you got to love plastics, I have had a fairly good strike rate with them, but like you, henno mainly undersize.
    I have been out with my brother in law a few times recently, he is leathal with them, landing some very nice lizards

I think the fish size is more to do with the location than the plastics in this case.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

I am yet to land what I would call a decent size fish on them, but it is work in progress.

There were people fishing with bait near me and they didn't catch squat, except for one guy pumping live yabbies and popping them straight on the hook. Even then he caught nothing of size.

I'm yet to catch a bream of good size (land-based makes it difficult to get to the good structure), but lizards love the softies.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    I think the fish size is more to do with the location than the plastics in this case.
    I would agree, I caught a 58cm Snapper in my back yard with a 100mm Squidgy. Some days they are lethal, better than bait, others I can't get a hit. I have tried them out on Reef, and they get hit almost straight away, but they don't last long and you can go through several packets in few minutes!
    Last edited by Daves; 8th September 2010 at 07:04 PM.

This brings back memories.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Ray
    Nice catch. Reminds me of a whale I caught once.

Those were the ones we couldn't fit in the freezer hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I would agree, I caught a 58cm Snapper in my back yard with a 100mm Squidgy. Some days they are lethal, better than bait, others I can't get a hit. I have tried them out on Reef, and they get hit almost straight away, but they don't last long and you can go through several packets in few minutes!
    I haven't used them on reefs, but if it's anything like when the pike or tailor are biting they sure wouldn't last long. Although even a full pilly doesn't last more than a cast in those situations. I usually switch to a little spoon in those cases and have some fun that way.

Unless there are toad fish or other pests in the estuaries I can use the same placcy for some time. I used the same rig for the entire session this afternoon.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

My alarm is set for 4.30 and the kayak is already packed on the car. I'm off to a little river to chase bass, not much beats being on the water as the sun rises.

tight lines

I am a normally a very keen fisherman, have been since I was a kid. I do all sorts of fishing, beach, bay, estuary, offshore, with lures, bait and have even tried fly fishing and have a shed full of gear for all occasions. But for the last 12 months or so, for various reasons, I have done virtually no fishing trips. Which is really silly because I have a 20' fishing boat moored at my back door! So I am going to put the effort into getting out on the bay this year. Will be looking to chase some Whiting, Flathead,Snapper, Sweetlip etc, what ever is on and conditions allow, and etc and put the crab pots out as well.

The boat is in getting serviced, cleaned and antifouled at the moment, and should be back in the next day or two ready for another season. So any SEQ Ozgolfers keen to do a fishing trip at some stage, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I am a normally a very keen fisherman, have been since I was a kid. I do all sorts of fishing, beach, bay, estuary, offshore, with lures, bait and have even tried fly fishing and have a shed full of gear for all occasions. But for the last 12 months or so, for various reasons, I have done virtually no fishing trips. Which is really silly because I have a 20' fishing boat moored at my back door! So I am going to put the effort into getting out on the bay this year. Will be looking to chase some Whiting, Flathead,Snapper, Sweetlip etc, what ever is on and conditions allow, and etc and put the crab pots out as well.

The boat is in getting serviced, cleaned and antifouled at the moment, and should be back in the next day or two ready for another season. So any SEQ Ozgolfers keen to do a fishing trip at some stage, let me know.
    Dave
    Count me in. What makes the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by just View Post
    Dave
    Count me in. What makes the boat?
    CruiseCraft Outsider 580.

Is there any fish in SEQ worth catching, Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    Is there any fish in SEQ worth catching, Dave?
    Lots of Whiting Ray, easy to catch, no great skill required and great to eat. Plenty of Sand Crabs and the odd Muddie. The other species require a bit more skill and effort but are there if you are willing to put in the time.

Thread Information