Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 90 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Run OZgolf Run

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Run OZgolf Run

I said I was going to start a new thread for the running stuff and here it is.

It sounds like senecio and shavey are into it. And Iain and myself are just getting started, although I don't plan on progressing too far, just staying fit and healthy.

I had my first 10k fun run on Saturday, http://www.team-ascent.com.au/page3.html (after a few others at different distances). I was expecting to do it in about 52-53 minutes, but hoping to do it in under 50 minutes (breaking the 5 minutes per km barrier). I ended up running it in just over 47 minutes, so I was very happy with that.
    It was a good track with some flat and hilly sections around the headland at Pt Cartwright and beside Kawana Beach.

I thought this thread might be good to track what organised runs we are doing in the future, which might encourage others to join.

senecio said the next one he was doing was this one in a couple of weeks: http://www.glasshousetrails.com/

I haven't decided which weekends I am going back to the Sunshine Coast yet, but I'll definitely try to do the Queensland Half Marathon Day. I'm undecided on whether to do the 10k or 1/2 Marathon, but I'm leaning towards 10k.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    10k fun run
    which word doesn't belong here ?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Well done Andy. Thats a great time, how hilly was it??

I'm doing the Mothers Day Classic at Southbank on Sunday. It's an 8km "fun run", I hope to do it in under 40min's.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

.. now where did i put that ignore button ???
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Did somebody say something ??
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Take it outside clowns!!

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Senior Member Major Winner

Ewwwwww
    I'm back.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

I thought this thread was going to be about a greyhound called "OzGolf"

Isnt it easier to tap the missus on the shoulder?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Isnt it easier to tap the missus on the shoulder?
    I think that we're talking distance events here, not a short sprint mtb...

There's a track here near my apartment called Bukit Kiara (Kiara Hill). It's great for masochists who like to experience the pain of running hills in high humidity.

For those of us who might experience back pain after we've been running for a few days, try doing some yoga stretches as part of your warm up. It really helped me.
    Srixon ZX5 9.5* Hazrdus Smoke Black 60s/ Baldo 8c Craft 9* Rogue 110msi Silver 60s
    Tour Edge Exotics 15* - Motore 70s
    Mizuno JPX HM 4 iron, bent to 19*
    Srixon ZX5 4 - 6, ZX785 7 - PW KBS Tour stiff
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #7

Thats why I suggested it would be easier.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Well done Andy. Thats a great time, how hilly was it??
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/australi...t/179645956996
    I'm not sure if that does it just or not, but it wasn't overly hilly. There were some decent short sharp hills, but there was plenty of flat too.

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    I'm doing the Mothers Day Classic at Southbank on Sunday. It's an 8km "fun run", I hope to do it in under 40min's.
    You might surprise yourself. Each time I've done a competitive run, I've exceeded expectations.

I'd do the Mother's Day Run, but it's on Mother's Day......
    So are you getting smashed at Poker the night before? Hmmm, I'll have to get up early too.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    .. now where did i put that ignore button ???
    You should come along. Lots of nice fit girlies to chase in some of them.
    Last edited by AndyP; 9th May 2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Fixed stuffed quote

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    You should come along. Lots of nice fit girlies to chase in some of them.
    He'd get fit twice as quick as you over the same distance - those little legs would make 2 steps to anyone elses 1.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

You are pumping out some pretty impressive times there P, keep up the great work...

I was hoping to break 55:00 (little pie in the sky for this big unit) for this years Gold Coast 10KM but with a recent bout of pneumonia, doubt I'll even be fit enough to race

Here was my nightly route around Broadbeach... only small, but good to build up fitness levels...

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/australi...each/467044236
    Titleist 913 D3 w/UST V2 79g
    Nickent Rescue 14 degree w/IROD S
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Sante Fe II
    52, 56, 60 TaylorMade Rac Wedges

Golflink

Is it as up and down in hills as much as the elevation chart of it indicates? If so, that's a tough little run.

The following is what my run around the home area is at the moment. I've only done it a couple of times so far, and haven't pushed myself on it, but it's got a good mix of terrain.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/australi...park/156395260

So the pneumonia has really knocked you about? I hope you can get back into, and do the 10k of the GC Marathon even if you just plod along.

Yeah, the pneumonia coupled with some acute asthma hasn't helped.

After a week on the death bed, I've managed to come out out on the other side; albeit about 4kg lighter and a lot weaker after not eating for days. Looking at going back to work next week but will need to take it nice and easy, just like the exercise.

I would love to do the run as we have about 40 people from work participating, just had my heart set on doing a good time.
    Titleist 913 D3 w/UST V2 79g
    Nickent Rescue 14 degree w/IROD S
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Sante Fe II
    52, 56, 60 TaylorMade Rac Wedges

Golflink

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by shavey View Post
    You are pumping out some pretty impressive times there P, keep up the great work...
    I have to agree, that's a great time in the 10km P. I bet you felt pretty pumped after completing it?

I'm back into it this week after giving myself a bit of a rest after the Brisbane Half Marathon. I got my official time against the clock earlier this week 1:44:51. I was so happy to have broken the 1:45 mark, I thought I had missed it (1:45:35 against the gun).

I'm going to give the Glass House Trail run a miss next weekend. I'm not confident in finishing the 30km run and I can't be bothered driving up there for the the 11km. Next event will be the Queensland Half at Doomben.

Here is my current training plan

Tuesday
    Sprint/Interval/Fartlek/Hill work
    Usually start with an easy 3 km warm up before getting into the hard stuff. Incorporating this training into my plan has helped to increase my pace in the longer runs.

Wednesday
    The long slow run (recovery). Anywhere between 10 and 15Km depending on how I feel or how much time I have. I find it very hard to run at this pace, but I know that I have to do it. This is my fat burning run (heart rate approx. 65-75% of max).

Friday
    Medium distance time trial. This is an 8 to 10km run as fast as I dare. Not uncommon to have average heart rate up around 90% of max with excursions up to 96%.

Sunday
    The long run at pace. Similar distance to the Wednesday run but I try to maintain the heart rate in the zone of 80% to 90% for the entire run.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/australi...a/229655836205

Here is my typical long run of about 15km that I use for the Wednesday and Sunday runs. Its a pretty good run with a killer of hill just after the 5km mark when I turn onto Plantain Rd.

My goals for the next events are to run a another sub 1:45 at Doomben. I don't think I can run much faster given its only 3 weeks away. I'd then like to try for a sub 1:40 at the Gold Coast in July. It might be a bit of stretch and I'd be happy with anything around 1:42, but you have to set yourself goals.

Quote Originally Posted by senecio View Post
    I have to agree, that's a great time in the 10km P. I bet you felt pretty pumped after completing it?
    I was extremely pleased to finish in that time. In fact, the official time came out as 46m59s, so that's even better. I didn't expect to smash my expectations by that much, but now I've got a benchmark to measure against, it will be hard to smash them again.

I'm back into it this week after giving myself a bit of a rest after the Brisbane Half Marathon. I got my official time against the clock earlier this week 1:44:51. I was so happy to have broken the 1:45 mark, I thought I had missed it (1:45:35 against the gun).
    Excellent. I'm not sure what the Brisbane Half was like, but the Doomben Half will be very flat, so maybe you can improve on your time there?

I'm going to give the Glass House Trail run a miss next weekend. I'm not confident in finishing the 30km run and I can't be bothered driving up there for the the 11km.
    If you can finish a half, what makes you think that you can't do 30k? Or is it that you don't think you could finish without plodding and therefore a time you would be happy with?

If that is the case, I sort of feel the same way about doing a half. I think I'd prefer to measure myself against the 10k for a bit longer, before thinking about half marathon. At the same time, I'd love to feel the satisfaction of completing a half.

Here is my current training plan
    That was interesting reading. I'm not really training to run comps, but the comps are just an avenue for more running, so I can lose more weight (or maintain it later on)

Good luck with your goals.

Member Club Pro

That's a good training plan for running half marathons senecio.

The 'recovery' runs at 75% or less are a pain in the arse I agree, but like you said they are important. It's amazing, when you start pushing yourself the so called 'easy' runs become the hardest, because you get bored and your legs feel worse than they do on a hard run.

AndyP,

If you are keen to start pushing yourself and chasing some times/PB's, you definitely need to do some hill sprints (or at least 400/800 sprints). Hill repeats are a great way to improve your leg strength and technique (without really knowing it) - it is amazing how quickly you will increase your 'cruising speed' if you get some hills into you.
    TM Tour R1 Black - Fuji Blur TS 65S
    TM Jetspeed Tour 15* - Motore Speeder TP X
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 18* - ProjX 6.0
    4-9 Titleist 714 AP2 - Proj X 5.5
    Vokey SM5 51*, 55*
    Cleveland 588REG. 60*
    TM Spider Limited

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by shavey View Post
    Yeah, the pneumonia coupled with some acute asthma hasn't helped.
    You will need to watch yourself for a while now, maybe a few years as far as sickness goes. Until I had mine a few years ago, I didn't get sick much at all. My band always used to comment on it. But since then I catch everything and anything (the last month case in point!!). Especially bronchitis, which my doc keeps an eye on so it doesn't turn in pneumonia.

It really wrecks your system, so take it easy or you will pay the cost. Let yourself recover!

I've also been told I should be getting the flu shots, which I never do.

Well done AndyP - 47 minutes - that's 4:42/km pace!

I've got to start running properly again
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

goughy

I haven't had any purpose for running since I tried out for the cops. 2.4km in 10minutes, had to break 11 minutes. Girls had to break 14.

That was a lifetime ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    How did you go? 37m45s? I think the adrenalin of the race will get you home easy. Hopefully lack of sleep from late night poker didn't drain your energy.

goughy

Had a quick look at that cool runnings site AP. So what they have is some mp3's etc set to like 30minutes that basically instruct you and have music for the run?? Sounds like a great idea. Pitty I don't have an mp3 player or headphone connection for my phone!

Might have to sort that out.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Had a quick look at that cool runnings site AP. So what they have is some mp3's etc set to like 30minutes that basically instruct you and have music for the run?? Sounds like a great idea. Pitty I don't have an mp3 player or headphone connection for my phone!

Might have to sort that out.
    I don't know what you're talking about. I just know that the program exists. I came across the site after I'd reached the 5k stage.

Thread Information