Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 749 of 750 FirstFirst ... 249 649 699 739 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 LastLast
Results 18,701 to 18,725 of 18739

I'm not sure it is. Every year there's someone supposedly bleating about this war on Christmas that never eventuates. Either that or it's some insecure people who think that someone else not celebrating it is somehow a threat to them doing so.

Whatever the case, the whole thing is completely stupid. Just do your thing, who really cares one way or the other anyway

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Politicians breaking election promises.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Nothing new.
    But people won’t remember come next election.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

It doesn't worry me, because it is fully expected, and one of the reasons that I don't vote.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I get it. But at the same time, is it better to keep the promise if it's not in the best interest under the current climate? It's kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Doesn't change it, gets smashed; does change it, gets smashed. Maybe this is the lesser of the two.
    "I'm a politician, which means I'm a liar and a cheat, and if I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops!"
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Details still to come obviously, but the changes risk being more inflationary, and hurting cost of living.

If they had a spine, they'd find a way to address the real problems - spiraling energy costs and rent, and price gouging from supermarkets and petrol companies. Bring costs down to fight inflation, don't throw more money at it.

But I won't go further, this is a golf forum, not a politics forum.
    Last edited by BobsYourUncle; 24th January 2024 at 11:35 AM.

Nah, that's ok. We're not gonna end up in fistycuffs. It was mostly just a question of whether a promise is worth breaking if it's better than not breaking it. We disagree on the possible effect of some of it. But what would I know.
    And they do need to do more. But govts in general seem pretty gutless these days.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I dont mind so much that he breaks an election ln promise, given that most knew he would, but the fact that he continued making that promise almost monthly ever since might just be enough to give him only one term. So we might just be able to avoid the abyss he is driving us towards.

on the other hand, labor votors will just switch to Greens, making it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I dont mind so much that he breaks an election ln promise, given that most knew he would, but the fact that he continued making that promise almost monthly ever since might just be enough to give him only one term. So we might just be able to avoid the abyss he is driving us towards.

Labor is getting pulled left, the Libs are ruled by the RWNJs. There's not much in the centre unfortunately. Easy to see how the Libs leaked votes to the Teals, I can see some Labor voters going that way too - although they're trying to change electoral funding rules to make it much harder for anyone outside of the major parties to run/win anything.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

Rather than such definitive statements about the end of time I’d rather they start saying things like they have no plans to do whatever at this stage.

Then when things change they can say things have changed and we’re doing something different.

That’s how normal people work.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Rather than such definitive statements about the end of time I’d rather they start saying things like they have no plans to do whatever at this stage.

Then when things change they can say things have changed and we’re doing something different.

That’s how normal people work.
    Yeah, it's been handled very poorly. Either Albanese knew they were going to make changes, and chose to lie instead of following this approach, or he didn't know and they've made significant policy decisions overnight. Either way it's not a good look.

Ultimately I don't think it matters. It will win enough votes with people getting more of a tax cut than it will lose from high-earners and the "he lied" thing.

So the change is that people between $150k and $200k miss out? Boohoo! Why stop there? Votes, I guess.

We're not sure yet!

While there may be the thought that parties are going more left and right, the fact is we are still very centralist. Look at the US shit. And all the european countries with far right parties going great guns.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Like every other politician ever?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    So the change is that people between $150k and $200k miss out? Boohoo! Why stop there? Votes, I guess.
    Because we (me included) got bugger all in stage 1 & 2?

I have such low expectations of the union hacks, suburban solicitors, failed business people, greens and Teals and the like that after years in the sewerage laden swamp that is Canberra, they could actually be caught doing any sordid activity and I would not bat an eyelid.

A broken promise......meh.

The lack of any business acumen on both sides was annoying the piss out of me, so I figured, like in the US, just go into massive debt and hope it all works out.

The wealthiest 5% of taxpayers miss out so 95% have an improvement.

Stage 3 was a landmine laid before the 2019 election that Morrison never expected to win, its a shame it took this long to alter them.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post

The lack of any business acumen on both sides was annoying the piss out of me, so I figured, like in the US, just go into massive debt and hope it all works out.
    How is that working out for them?

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    How is that working out for them?
    Nobody is asking for it back, their currency hasn't collapsed.........push on

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Nobody is asking for it back, their currency hasn't collapsed.........push on
    The old too big to fail.

Todays debt -
    $26,985,255,075,314.51

Chopperlink

WITB

Everyone earning over $45k would have benefitted from the planned stage 3 cuts.

I was talking about the change from the initial proposed Stage 3 tax cuts, but I have read now that the details haven't been announced.

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    The wealthiest 5% of taxpayers miss out so 95% have an improvement. Stage 3 was a landmine laid before the 2019 election that Morrison never expected to win, its a shame it took this long to alter them.
    That top 5% pays 35% of the tax and they got nothing out of the first two stages. Not at all surprising that a labour government is going all Robin Hood here though. A politicians first and only job is to get reelected and this plays better to their base.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    That top 5% pays 35% of the tax and they got nothing out of the first two stages. Not at all surprising that a labour government is going all Robin Hood here though. A politicians first and only job is to get reelected and this plays better to their base.
    That's not quite true.Their tax free threshold went up like everyone else's.

Chopperlink

WITB

Thread Information