Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Semi: AndyP vs BrisVegas

Despite the other half of the draw not being at the semi stage, let's try and work out when and potentially where we could play ours.

What's your availability like, Dion? Your work is more restrictive than mine, so I assume only weekends are available, which will most likely make it a Sunday game?
    I read that you have club champs on at the moment too, so what does this rule out?

I have Sundays available...sort of...depending on what potential running race it might clash with. I sacrificed a club race yesterday, so I'm pretty flexible with it.

I can always get a game at Indro on a Sunday if you want some neutral ground on a course you don't play every week.

I thought I'd read that your setup there was expiring? I initially had in my head somewhere like Keperra or Ipswich, but Indro is a good option. Only one group though, right?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

The greens at Keperra are being cored as we speak.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I've got club champs strokeplay for the next 2 weekends and depening if I make top 8, the matchplay on the 1,2 or 3 weekends after that. So, October is looking tough. How about we play our match at Pac Harbour on the day before the champs? You can choose the tees.

Failing that, I'm a chance for a Sunday game at one of our local tracks (Gailes, Wolly Park, McLeod, Oxley etc etc) early November-ish...

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I thought I'd read that your setup there was expiring? I initially had in my head somewhere like Keperra or Ipswich, but Indro is a good option. Only one group though, right?
    End of the year it expires. (Well, we have chosen to not renew it but we've paid the quarter.)

And yes, one group only. Although I have got more than one group on before but that was a weekday. They are just a little more picky with a busy Sunday I think.

As usual, East or West course $40pp including cart.

With my habit of matchplay ties, I don't like the idea of leaving it until the day before the final. I'm still looking for an excuse to play Beerwah instead of Pac Harbour anyway.

We can pencil in for Sunday, November 1 or 8 and see how you go in the champs/matchplay. Good luck in them.

sounds good. Will let you know.

golflink WITB

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

With my habit of matchplay ties, I don't like the idea of leaving it until the day before the final.
    Why not, just think of the atmosphere of playing extra holes with an OZgolf gallery!
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Last time we played: Rd 1 2008
    BV wins 2 and 1 @ Gailes.

With my habit of matchplay ties, I don't like the idea of leaving it until the day before the final.
    given the locations and the tee times i wouldnt have thought it would be that difficult to trundle out for a few more holes. Its only the AM tee times that make it hard but surely by 4pm the relative courses wont have a problem with that.

Its not as if you are gunna play many extra holes.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    I've got club champs strokeplay for the next 2 weekends and depening if I make top 8, the matchplay on the 1,2 or 3 weekends after that. So, October is looking tough. How about we play our match at Pac Harbour on the day before the champs? You can choose the tees.

Failing that, I'm a chance for a Sunday game at one of our local tracks (Gailes, Wolly Park, McLeod, Oxley etc etc) early November-ish...
    It sounds like you struggled in the Champs, so does that mean you missed the matchplay too? Any chance of playing our match in October?

Nov 1 has now been ruled out for me, as I'm away for two weeks in Newcastle including a working weekend.

how about this coming sunday? Wanna try for an arvo game at McLeod/Gailes/Wolston etc?? or try our luck with henno at Indro? I'd prefer really early or after lunch so I can get some pool fencing done.

golflink WITB

How do you feel about green condition considering the season? Wolston did their greens two weeks ago, so they may not be too bad. They had a 6:42a spot, as well, or after 10a (but behind social groups most likely). Saturday is an option there too.

Henno, have Indro done their greens?

i don't care about green conditions. it's matchplay. wolly park suits me, but indro would be a better test/more fun/fairer etc.... i can't play saturday.
    Last edited by BrisVegas; 12th October 2009 at 03:22 PM.

golflink WITB

Group booked for 6:42a, Sunday at Wolston Park.
    http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15885

In what was a close and good quality match (with the exception of a few holes), AndyP wins 2 and 1.

I'll do the rundown later.

Before the round, we agreed that we would follow the normal matchplay index instead of the far from standard Wolly Park index. This meant my 3 shots came on holes 4, 8 and 12 (BV 9 vs AP 12).

Here's the match rundown.

1st - par 4: BV wins the toss and nails his first drive and following approach to a few metres behind the hole. AP just gets to the right edge of the green, after being blocked by trees on his approach. BV bobbles his first putt in on the recently cored greens and starts with a birdie and a win. BV 1up.

2nd - par 4: Both push tee shots right and have to navigate the trees in the middle of the fairway. BV succeeds, AP fails. BV wins with a par. BV 2up.

3rd - par 3: AP goes way right, while BV finds the green. AP's great chip and putt beat BV's 3-putt. BV 1up.

4th - par 5 - shot hole: BV's regulation par is enough to halve the hole to AP's scrambling bogey. BV 1up.

5th - par 3: Both miss the green right and do well to get up and down. BV 1up.

6th - par 4: Both miss the green with crappy approaches, fail to get up and down, and halve the hole with bogeys. BV 1up.

7th - par 5: AP misses right, punches out and hits a nice approach to get to the green, while BV hits a big drive and nice iron in to leave a putt in from the left fringe. BV leaves plenty of work after the first putt, especially when AP drains a snake for his bird. BV is up to it and also gets a birdie. Both feel like they have saved the hole. BV 1up.

8th - par 3 -shot hole: Both hit good tee-shots, but BV's is all over it. AP hits the first putt too hard and 3 putts. BV can't quite get the tricky downhiller, so his par halves the hole. BV 1up.

BV is even with the card at this stage, so I'm happy to be only 1 down.

9th - par 4: AP hits his first fairway of the day, but needs a 5 iron to do it. BV goes for the green with his drive but finds a tree right and ends up on another hole. BV struggles to pitch and chip off the lies he is given and eventually concedes the hole (with AP's approach on the back fringe). All sq at the halfway mark.

10th - par 3: AP goes too long and BV falls short with their approaches. BV's good chip and putt wins the hole. BV 1up.

11th - par 4: BV gets his drive pin high but to the right. AP is 100 short and in the right trees, but manages to scrounge one out to run onto the green. Both players get their pars to halve. BV 1up.

12th - par 4 - shot hole: Both players hit their drives right, but the trees/hill help their balls back to the fairway. AP's approach misses right, BV short left. Both short games are messy and neither get up and down. AP wins the hole with the shot. All sq.

13th - par 3: AP hits a great shot to a few metres short, while BV's is pin high but putting across the tier. No birdies this time around and it's halved. All sq.

14th - par 3: Both miss to the right in similar positions. BV pulls out the Texas wedge again and AP copies. BV leaves his a couple of metres to the right, and AP leaves his a little less to the left. BV putts first and gets a nice par. AP misses lips his very firm putt out and gets stroppy at the miss. BV 1up.

15th - par 4: BV hugs the right and gets a crap lie after taking a drop away from the 150m marker. AP misses left, but it has opened the hole up, although he has to deal with kangaroos surrounding him. AP tugs the approach left leaving a difficult uphill chip, while BV hits some wood but finds the green with his third. AP successfully negotiates the tough up and down, BV can't bobble the putt in and it's all square again. All sq.

16th - par 3: A tough par 3 with the line at the flag hugging trees. AP goes over them and finishes just to the left of the green pin high. BV draws his tee shot to short and left and leaves his chip short. AP's good chip leaves himself a tap in for par and BV doesn't sink his par putt. AP hits the lead for the first time. AP 1up.

17th - par 4: AP hits his second fairway for the day, and first with his driver at the right time. BV hits his drive a little too far left, and must have hit a tree to leave himself behind trees with a bad lie. AP hits his 3W approach just right of the green. BV hits the trees not once, but twice and eventually leaves a very long putt for a bogey to all but end the match. AP plays it accordingly with a safe chip, and a couple of safe putts to win the hole and match after BV's putt goes close but slides past. AP 2 and 1.

Summary :
    Front 9: B B A - - - - - A
    Back 9: B - A - B A A A
    Final Result AndyP wins 2 and 1.

Thanks for the match, Dion. It was a close contest, although we both play very differently. I did feel it was a little anti-climactic at the end, and I was disappointed that it finished that way.
    Last edited by AndyP; 18th October 2009 at 06:59 PM.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Nice win AP, bad luck Dion.
    I have no idea how you can recall some much detail after rounds AP

I'm usually half a hole behind, so I get to see it all.

Nice win P

Bad luck Dion (what's with the handicap of 9)
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Congrats AP, I think you have done very well to beat Ozgolfs biggest burglar and most decorated Golfer ever.

2nd - par 4: Both push tee shots right and have to navigate the trees in the middle of the further.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Does this mean AP is in the final?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Does this mean AP is in the final?
    Unless there's some preliminary final I didn't know about? I'm rather pleased to have got this far, considering my reduced golf this year.

It also puts me in the first group of the Champs therefore adding half an hour to the time taken for the round.

It is nice to replace the memory of my last OZgolf semi though (losing to a 2 marker shooting 90 plus).

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Congrats AP, I think you have done very well to beat Ozgolfs biggest burglar and most decorated Golfer ever.
    Nothing special, just "plodding" along with solid play. Considering how he has been traveling at Brooky, he did well today. The other finalist should be pleased that they've got someone that isn't as capable of shooting low.

I've fixed the error now (further = fairway). I wrote the post up in a text editor while playing online poker before posting it, so I'm not surprised there is errors.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Commiserations BV, congratulations Andy!

Thread Information