Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Lucky Man v. Art Blakey at the Epic of Gilgamesh Greens

Replay:
    at Gainsborough Greens Friday 23rd.

versus

This is shaping up as the game of the season, both players having practically the same handicap, Though I wonder about playing a guy called Lucky, especially that he beat golfer69, the luckiest golfer i know.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 15th October 2009 at 11:29 AM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Club Pro

Have you been sunbaking? Cathchya tomorrow.

Senior Member Major Winner

I will coach you through a Blake beating on the drive out mate..
    I'm back.

says he who couldnt beat The Plod
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Righto.... I can be the Debbil!!!!!!!!!
    I'm back.

but he is a loser!
    --
    Handy-Cap

1st Hole: Lucky bumps the tree and finishes way back in the fairway and lays up into the valley. Blakey smokes the 3w into position A and finesses an 8 iron gayley into the bunker.

Lucky hits a marvellous pitch to 3 foot and blakey is spooked, gone from looking at 1 up to 1 down in just a few mins. Explodes out to 6 foot and holes the putt.

Luck was not so lucky with his 3 footer. B. 1 up

2nd Hole, regulation drives, and lucky puts a beautiful fade on a fairway wood to the back of the green, blakey on the RHS of the fairway is freaking out over having to hit an impossible fade and tanks, leaving the ball in the dry hazard short, follows up with 2 chips and a short putt and Lucky the gentlemen putts off the greeen and gets up and down for the half.

3rd Hole, Good drives, then Lucky into the Bunker and Blakey to 10ft, lucky then hits 50m over the green into the rocks and crap and after some mucking around decided the next tee was a closer walk.
    B. 2up

4th Hole, crikey it looks like a 1000m par 5 from the tee. Uneventful fairway play but Lucky is in the bunker, and Blakey is 20ft away, and 3 putts to hand over the half.

5th Hole: Blakey hits an angel raper over the top of the pin, lands just at the top of the tier and rolls to the back of the green, leaving a horror putt back down the tier. Lucky hits a beauty to pin high 15ft, and wins the hole with an easy two putts, after Blakeys expected 3 jack.
    B. now only 1 up.

6th Hole: I should be so Lucky hits his tee shot a bit right, and looked like it kicked back to the fairway like Golfer69 would, but it didnt. Blakey hits the trademark draw and finishes in prime position with just a pitch to the green. Lucky recovers well but nicks a tree and that sent him into the boondocks, and eventually struggled for bogey but that was never going to beat an easy par.

B. Back to 2 up

7th Hole, both hit the green and have long putts, both hole good 2nd putts to halve the hole

8th Hole, Blakey has a shot here, but nobody remembered. Unenventful play up the fairway, but the wind is really blowing now and Lucky underclubs on the approach. Blakey being the much bigger and stronger bloke was much closer and unnafected by the wind, makes an easy par and didnt need the stroke.

B. 3 up after 8, and looking solid as a rock with very long and straight drives and 3woods.

9th Hole. Then the wind changed......

(luckys turn to tell lies now)
    --
    Handy-Cap

Member Club Pro

I will leave it to you MTB - I am flat out remembering the holes, little own my shots and your shots. All I remember is I was 2 up with 4 to play, and 3 stabbed the 15th after playing a safety first shot to the the green, the 16th - NFI - we must have halved it, you made a great birdie on 17 to square it up, and we both had 10 foot birdie chances on the last for the win, but 2 pars = all square for the match.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    All I remember is I was 2 up with 4 to play
    3 to play, nevertheless, How the heck did you get to be 2 up after being 3 down, and on a hiding to nothing?

oh yeah, my turn to play crap for a while

9th Hole, Blakey skulls a 3w up the fairway not very far and hits a 1 iron onto the edge of the bunker, and flubs a chip on after standing in the bunker, Lucky hits a nice drive and leaks his approach to the right, stuffs the chip up then putts/chips in from just off the green for par, and thats good enough to win the hole

B. 2up.

10th Hole. Back to normality, Lucky makes a good two putt from up the back right and holes a good comebacker for par. Blakey narrowly misses makeable birdie putt.

B. 2up.

11th hole, Lucky carves one right into the boondocks and chips out, Blakey hacks his tee shot and buries it in the lip of the bunker, and takes two get out, regulation play from there sees Lucky win the hole with an easy bogey,

12th hole, Lucky carves one right (again!) but finishes just on fairway and knocks his approach to about 6 foot, his best shot of the day so far. Blakey under the pump, duck hooks one into the boondocks and hacks the rest of the hole, but a bogey was never going to scare the pants off Lucky here, who comfortably two putts for the win

All Square.

13th - Lucky hits his 3 wood and long bombs it down there, and aims his second shot down the centre of the fairway and to his dismay watches it feed down into the fairway pot. Blakey hits a long drive over the big tree and finishes a long way down but on a horried hanging lie, and despite getting distracted by some clown spitting blood and bits off teeth right nearby (hey, we are trying to play a match here!) plods an 8 iron down there somewhere. Both players then chopped and flubbed their way to uneventful bogies, and the match remains square.

14th Lucky hits a good looking approach to about 20ft , Blakey pulls his a little but and never saw where it went, and no wonder, it was friggin miles away and long down that dry hazard. two attempts to get out and holed out from off the green, but that didnt even scare Lucky, who calmy two putts to take the lead for the first time

L. 1 Up.

15th. Stupid hole, Lucky hits his regular effective tee shot rather AndyP like (just a lot longer) and blakey cant get over the mental block that he cant hit the necessary fade and dribbles one into the trees right. Lucky knocks his approach onto the green, and Blakey continues to hack away through the trees and has a ugly 5, Luckys string of pars and wins continue.

L. 2 up and looking red hot

16th, the Par 3 with the Mcg sized green, and wind blowing right to left, Lucky hits a solid pecentage shot to the front left, avoiding the bunker, but leaves himself a looong putt. Blakey is thinking that bloody big tree covering the RHS of the green is in the way of the natural shot and the wind, so instead, with nothing to lose just goes right over the top, finishing about 20ft away.
    Lucky didnt nail his first putt, leaving it far to short and 3 putted, blakey navigated a tricky breaking 2putt for par, the match just got interesting...

L. 1 up.

17th
    , the big fairway bunker looked intimidating into the wind, but after gazgolf hit one of his 'specials' that cleared it, Blakey couldnt chicken out now and belted one over the bunker as well. Lucky, knowing that he only had to make Pars, to be good enough, took out the 3 wood and took the conservative route and hit another good one down the left hand side that left him with a pitch to the green, that put the pressure on. Now blakey is sitting 190m from the pin, 3 wood in hand and just enough headwind to help the ball hold on that tiny target, and set up an eagle - was the perfect setting for a cinderalla story..... so chickened out and laid up. (by the way so did that girl gazgolf)

Lucky hits his wedge way too long up near the back of the green, leaving a ridiculously difficult putt, but the lucky bastard rolled it calmly down there leaving a gimme for par.

Blakey hits his little pitch to about 8 ft, and rolls it in for the birdie (probably 10 ft past if it missed) and the match is all square. T

18th Hole - this was looking like the epic Saints v Geelong grand fiinal, nothing in it. Both players barely able to run, jump and tackle now.

Blakey once again hits a good drive down the middle, Lucky once again opting for the 3 wood, and hitting first to that blind green, grabs the club, has one waggle and, hits it at the pin like a dart, and looked like to all of us that he stumped it. In matchplay thats as good as a knockout punch.

Blakey changes clubs three times, checks the GPS 4 times and climbs a mound for a better look, has 15 practice swings, changes club one more time and while everyone else fell asleep hits a low drawing punch shot that looked if anything as good as Luckys.

Upon approach to the green, both balls are about 20ft above the hole, Luckys plug mark is about 2ft from the hole , and its a putt off.

Blakey first and then Lucky, both putts looked good for a while but both narrowly missed, and after a couple of knee knocker putts for pars, the epic Battle of Brookwater ends in a draw.

the summary of the match was
    Front 9: B - B - L B - B L
    Back 9: - L L - L L B B -
    --
    Handy-Cap

Replay at Gainsborough Greens, on Friday 23rd.

Cheerleaders in short skirts welcome (must shave legs)
    --
    Handy-Cap

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

good luck guys

I am still shattered so I cant bring myself to give the customary hole be hole excpet for this quickie,
    H = Half, B = Blakey, L - Lucky

H H H B L H L H L
    B L B L L B L

Lucky is an interesting opponent, I rarely play a golfer at that level (and size) that hits it as far as him - lets gracefully call it a bunt! Yet he also is very confident at leaving the driver in the bag a lot, and backing himself with his longer game which is something I cant do.

My strength in matchplay (like Pennant) is because I am fairly handy with the driver, but usually not as long as my opponents, and hitting first into the greens sets me up with an advantage if I am playing steady golf.

As I don't have this with Lucky, and his long game was better than mine, I couldn't afford to let him dictate the play too much so my only option was to try and outdrive him by as much as I could, and try to put the pressure on approach shots in reverse (if you know what i mean). That part of my plan worked pretty well, I hit the ball fairly solid off the tee and a few times had a massive advantage, but from there I played like crap. Neither capitilising on his mistakes, nor matching his good ones.

Probably the best example was the 2nd, a clone of the 2nd at Ocean Shores. Lucky hits his Hybrid safe, and leaving himself I guess 180-190, and I hit driver over the corner and lake to have 110 in, but then i hit into the back bunker if lucky hadnt of missed his short par putt i would have lost the hole.

the big moment in the match was on the 13th (old 9th) when Lucky was 1 up, with Lucky 30+ foot away very tricky downhiller, and me 10ft straight putt looking to make birdie or even Par to square the match, and feeling very confident after the last few holes. Well you can guess what happened, if the Lucky bastard didnt hole it i reckon it would have gone in the water !

Congrats Lucky, you are a shoe in from here, all the good opponents are behind you now.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 25th October 2009 at 04:41 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Congrats Lucky, you are a shoe in from here, all the good opponents are behind you now.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Nice work Lucky.

You've made plenty of OzGolfers very happy
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Blakey, you seem to think about matchplay differently to everyone else here. Do you have a different gameplan for each opponent?

And who are the other good opponents that you speak of? jarro?

Member Club Pro

Thanks Blakey - I think.

I think most of the boys said that I should play short to take you out of your comfort zone. It is amazing how many tips I got to beat you For the record I enjoyed your play and company both at Brookwater and GG and would be happy to play golf with you anytime anywhere.

Too many years on the tennis court with an old man's stiff back is probably why I am so short. I wish I could swing longer, put I prefer to be in play than hitting from the trees. So if anyone cares - golf is definitely about short game and not long game (but I still wish I had the long game).

Thanks again for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Do you have a different gameplan for each opponent?
    Never, Lucky was special.

Most of the time i play matchplay is in Pennant and I wouldn't know who it is until I walk up on the tee anyway. My record there is far superior to say club championship and handicap matchplay. Probably being friendly with opponents makes me less competitive.

And who are the other good opponents that you speak of? jarro?
    The draw is all class on the left hand side.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I think most of the boys said that I should play short to take you out of your comfort zone.
    They wouldn't know and none of that matters if one plays well. Normally if my opponent is playing first i don't watch their shot, as I did on several holes anyway.

I must admit, the 2nd and the 5th really knocked the wind out of me, I would have backed myself for any money to have stepped up there and press home the advantage.

Not that i ever think that I have a hole 'in the bag' before its over, I am quite the opposite actually. I don't mind losing a hole to good shots regardless but losing the unloseable due to crap golf is another thing, Its like watching my opponent hit into the water than hit out of bounds myself
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information