Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default QF: AndyP vs dc68 Pt I @ Oxley GC - All sq, Pt II @ Brookwater GC

Instead of having it disappear in another thread, we'll have a thread for our matchplay battle which is 18 holes old.

Virginia didn't happen.
    Oxley was all square.
    Brooky this Sunday is the next venue for our match.

Here's a hole by hole rundown from Friday's match, if you are interested in reading. I've used approximate hole lengths as the tees were forward of the blues, but not by too far.

DC was at the venue before me and accused me of arriving early to get some practice in. How wude!!

1st - 350m par 4: DC wins toss and smashes his drive over the trees on the dog leg, although slightly through the other side. AP pulls drive left through the trees ruling out a shot at the green. DC two putts for the win, although the second was a tester. DC 1up.
    2nd - 440m par 5: DC puts his drive thru the right bend into a bad area, struggles with the 2nd, but hits a good approach to have a putt. AP plays it up the middle, but the wedge approach came back down the tier leaving a long putt. Both hit their first putts too long, miss the 2nd putt and halve the hole with the third. DC 1up.
    3rd - 170m par 3: DC misses the green to the right, AP puts his in the green centre. DC fails to get up and down in 2, while AP gets the weight right with a putt over a ridge to win the hole. All square.

4th - 380m par 4 - shot hole: AP knocks his drive down the middle, while DC has a crack over the inside traps, which rolls through the first, but leaves a nasty lie in between traps. AP flushes his 4I to within a few metres, while DC misses the green to the short side leaving a very tough chip up a slope. 2 putts for AP is enough for the win. AP 1up.
    5th - 159m par 3: AP chunks his tee shot to just short of the green. DC hits a nice one on. AP fails to get up and down, and DC has no probs with 2 putting. All square.
    6th - 290m par 4 - shot hole: DC hits his T-shot right with a little interference from a tree. AP's reply is to hit his 3W further right under the tree. With a front pin, DC flies his approach to the back left and AP punches a running iron to the front fringe. DC can't get down in two, but AP can. AP 1up.

7th - 470m par 5: AP hits it bigtime right flirting with OOB, but finds it in amongst the trees. DC down the guts. AP's punch goes into the trees left, and is on the green in 4. DC first goes a bit right, but gets on the green in 3. Both putts are from the same spot, but neither get it and DC wins the hole with the next one. All square.
    8th - 365m par 4 - shot hole: Both fire away good drives, but AP finds the green with his wood, while DC finds the left trap. Another missed birdie putt for AP, but a 2 putt is enough to win the hole. AP wins all three shot holes on the front nine, without needing them. AP 1up.
    9th - 129m par 3: Both hit nice shots to the green and safely 2 putt to square the hole. AP 1up.

10th - 336m par 4 - shot hole: AP pulls his 3W left. Dave smashes another drive down the middle. AP bunts out from under trees to the right of the green leaving a lot of work. DC wedges in close and dobs the birdie putt for a win to AP's bogey. All square.
    11th - 450m par 5 - DC down the middle, while AP goes left into the trees again. AP flushes his low recovery which also flushes the tree and gains no ground, but has gone out to the fairway. Another two flushes, this time with the 3W then wedge leaves a downhill putt. DC puts his 2nd about 30m out, but behind a tree to the right. He attempts to thread it through the fork in the tree, but gets a branch and it finishes short of the green. He then leaves his chip on the fringe. 2 putts each, although neither were convincing and the hole ends up being squared. All square.
    12th - 550m par 5 - shot hole: No trouble for either player in the first two shots, although AP is further back as usual. AP hits his iron approach close, then DC gives himself a fried egg in the greenside trap on the short side. DC then hits a great shot which hits the pin (I think), but with too much on it, it doesn't sink. 2 putts were enough for AP. AP 1up.

13th - 195m par 3: AP hits his 3W into the right traps, and DC hits a beautifully drawn iron onto the green short of the hole (or was it just short of the green?). AP hits from one trap to another, then blades to the back of the green leaving a nightmare putt, which gets nowhere near it. All square.
    14th - 350m par 4 - shot hole: DC hits another great drive, while AP snaps a drive left again. AP punches out to the fairway, then DC hits a great approach leaving a gettable putt. AP hits his wedge on the green, then pumps the hell out of his first putt and just misses the second. It doesn't matter, because DC knocks in his birdie putt for the win. DC 1up. [I reckon I'm in big trouble now with two long holes left in the last four and only one shot left up my sleeve and said as much to Rawlo]
    15th - 390m par 4: DC doesn't get onto his drive too well, but it's safe in the middle. AP smashes his, but is still 20 or so metres behind. AP knocks his approach onto the front of the green, then DC runs his across the green and into the trap. He doesn't get out the first time or sink his first putt, so AP's 3 putt, while not good for confidence, is good enough for the win. All square.

16th - 400m par 4 - shot hole: AP hits a good drive to the right side of the fairway, then DC ventures a little further right. AP hits a good 3W but is still 30m short of the green. DC hits a fantastic iron from under the trees to finish above the hole, but on the right tier. AP chips short, then putts past the hole by several feet. DC's first putt leaves a tester which he misses, then walks away in disgust, expecting AP to sink his, which of course he doesn't, and the hole is squared. All square.

17th - 356m par 4: DC puts his drive a bit right and AP snaps his drive left again which initially appears to be OOB. The ball is found inside the fence line and luckily (for him) outside a water hazard ditch, but it requires a punch out to the fairway. DC's approach hits a tree and his following wedge shot finishes short of the green. AP's wedge shot goes to the right of the green. DC hits his putt or chip past the hole by a few feet leaving a tricky downhiller. AP's first putt finishes within 2 inches of DC's but outside of it. [A fair bit riding on these putts, you would think] AP curls his in first, but DC is unable to replicate. AP 1up.

I'm laughing on the next tee because it just seems so bad.

18th - 350m par 4: AP superfades one into the right trees. DC drags his into the left trees. In the spirit of the joke that the match has become, they wave at each other from their respective woods. AP attempts to keep it low to get out but hits a branch and goes forward and to the left side of the fairway. DC also hits a tree and puts his on the adjacent fairway. DC then follows up with one of his shots of the day putting his approach (3rd) to a few feet. AP's reply is to leave his pressured wedge shot (3rd) short of the green. AP's greenside chip (for the win) was all over the pin and kept rolling at it and rolling at it giving a DC some heart problems, but it finished an inch to the left, leaving DC with an all important match saving putt. He was up for it, and we conceded that we were doing it all again at Brooky. All square.

Although we both walked away feeling like we played crap and that we had given away too many holes to the other, we had our fair share of good holes too. It was always a close match and perhaps that contributed to some of the bad golf.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Well Andy, this time around you don't have to carry your bag and Dave doesn't have to walk. What happens in the event of another square?
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    What happens in the event of another square?
    Paper, scissors, rock.

I'd prefer to carry my bag and walk.

If it's a tie, we'll play somewhere else.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I'd prefer to carry my bag and walk.

If it's a tie, we'll play somewhere else.
    walking is fine at Brookwater.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Major Winner

Thats how I recall it happening Mr P..... How you remember that stuff is beyond me. Bring on Brooky. Dion does the 50 clams include a cart?
    I'm back.

yes. also includes comp fee.

golflink WITB

Saaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!
    I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    walking is fine at Brookwater.
    I'll still cart it, especially since I am almost always first to hit the second shot. It's just my general preference when playing golf.

BV, do you know what the matchplay indexes are at Brooky? They probably haven't changed from a card I should have here, but I thought I would check.

matchplay indices are always the same at all courses i thought. i think it's on the back of the card.

EDIT - the standard matchplay index is:-
    Hole - MP Index
    1 - 18
    2 – 8
    3 – 12
    4 – 3
    5 – 14
    6 – 6
    7 – 10
    8 – 1
    9 – 16
    10 – 5
    11 – 11
    12 – 2
    13 – 15
    14 – 7
    15 – 13
    16 – 4
    17 – 17
    18 – 9
    Last edited by BrisVegas; 23rd September 2009 at 07:56 PM.

golflink WITB

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    matchplay indices are always the same at all courses i thought. i think it's on the back of the card.
    Almost always the same. They do sometimes differ. I'll have a look......

My old card doesn't have it. I'll just assume it follows normal and check on the day then.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

some courses think that they know what they are doing and modify the match play index because they think its unfair for a golfer to get a shot on an easy hole.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

AndyP wins 5 & 4 after 32 holes.

Thanks for the two games, Dave. I was very happy with how I played throughout today's match, unfortunately things didn't go too well for you at the same time.

I'll do the hole-by-hole thing later.

Please don't.... its painful enough.
    I'm back.

SPOILER
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Nice work henno and Mr P
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by dc68 View Post
    Please don't.... its painful enough.
    You could put this thread on ignore?

Banned

Congrats on the win

congrats andyp. effective golf was the winner today.

You'd have smashed me today. Lets play somewhere easier. How about Wolston Park?

golflink WITB

Last time was handicap 4 vs 11. This time it was 5 vs 12 (much to Dave's disgust).

Round 2 hole by hole rundown:

1st - par 4: DC wins toss again and literally pops one down the middle well short of where he would want it. AP knocks it down the middle. DC hits a great 200m approach to the correct tier of the green. AP hits his iron to the front tier but closer. 2 putts each for a square. Dave did well to do this considering he didn't have a practice putt. All square.

2nd - par 4: For approaches, AP decides not to go for the green through the gap against his natural shot shape, slope and breeze and lays up. DC ends up short, then puts his 3rd just off the left of the green. AP pitches past the hole. DC easily ferrets his into the hole, and AP has no reply. DC 1up.

3rd - par 4: DC right, AP middle. DC gets out of the trees, then hits a good shot right of the pin. AP hits the front of the green, but finishes just off the left. AP can't get up and down, and DC misses his putt. Halved with bogeys. DC 1up.

4th - par 5 - shot hole: DC gets to the green in reg, but leaves a tricky downhill putt. AP zigzags and messes with the trees to end up just off the front for 3. AP doesn't get up and down, but DC 3 jags. Putting has been tricky so far and opportunities have been missed. AP wins with the shot. All square.

5th - par 3: AP pushes shot right but not in the trees. DC pulls his left between traps (?). AP's ball is found under leaves, which he can't move and chips short of green. He then sees that the ball isn't actually his and he throws it away in disgust. AP's tee shot isn't found, but DC makes a nice up and down anyway. DC 1up.

6th - par 4 - shot hole: DC down the middle, AP goes through the right a bit. AP misses approach long and left and fails to get the chip on the green. DC gets on the green in 3. AP gets up and down second time around, while DC's 2 putts aren't enough. All square.

7th - par 3: AP's 7W tee shot just clears the traps towards the pin, but ends up off the back. DC hits his tee shot fat, then chunks his first and second chips to get on the green. AP puts his chip to a few inches and takes the win. AP 1up.

8th - par 5 -shot hole: AP goes right, but it kicks off the hill to the fairway. DC goes left and gets a solid whack off a tree to finish centre, then follows up with a driver off the deck. Both get on in regulation, but a par each gives AP the hole. AP 2up. This is the first time one of them has been 2 up during the 2 round match.

9th - par 4: AP down the guts, DC pulls a bit left. DC hits a beauty all over the pin and AP responds by hitting his way right into the garden. AP doesn't even get close to recovering, and although DC misses his first putt, the par is enough. AP 1up.

10th - par 4 - shot hole: DC too far left, AP too far right. AP bunts out through the other side of the fairway and leaves a risky pitch through trees to the pin. He luckily gets through behind the pin, leaving a slightly scary downhill putt. DC gets his second short of the green, but leaves his pitch on the front tier leaving an even scarier massive uphill putt. DC's first putt is great, but it's not enough. AP's bogey wins. AP 2up.

11th - par 4: AP down the middle, DC follows but maybe a little too far. AP fats his approach short, DC chunks his into the drink from which he doesn't recover. AP gets up and down for a par and win. AP 3up.

12th - par 4 - shot hole: AP up the middle, DC left of middle leaving the approach over the traps. AP finishes just off the front right of the green, while DC's approach is all over the pin. AP puts his putt from just of the fringe outside of DC's putt but on the same line. He then curls the downhiller par putt in. DC leaves his putt short of the guts by less than an inch. DC doesn't realise that it was a shot hole until halfway down the next. AP win. AP 4up.

13th - par 5: AP flushes it down the middle. DC attacks the hole but the ball doesn't appear to make it over the left trees. DC almost concedes the hole by not hitting a provisional. The ball isn't found and AP wins the hole (he had a sand save par in the end). AP dormie 5.

14th - par 3: AP's tee shot doesn't come back from the right and finishes just off. DC hits a nice one, but past the hole. AP's putt from off the edge of the green is all over it, but burns the edge leaving a safe tap in. DC has his two putts for what they thought was a half. I've just realised doing this write up that this was a shot hole for me, which makes it 6 and 4, and not 5 and 4 as we had declared earlier.

As I said before, Dave was in strugglesville today, but I played pretty good and was even with my handicap through 14 and was three under it for the 5 holes of the back nine. That explains the margin.

Summary Blakey style:
    Front 9: - D - A D A A A D
    Back 9: A A A A A
    Last edited by AndyP; 27th September 2009 at 10:54 PM.

Great win for the "Plod"

AP's ball is found under leaves, which he can't move and chips short of green. . He then sees that the ball isn't actually his and he throws it away in disgust.
    did you know you could have picked the ball up to identify it?
    --
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    did you know you could have picked the ball up to identify it?
    It said Precept, so I had no reason to doubt that it was mine, otherwise I would have.

Thread Information