Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Default How do you ensure your right wrist goes over?

I think I am pretty close to figuring out why I am slicing, and it appears to be my lack of right wrist rolling over at the time of hitting.

What does everyone else do to try and get the right wrist to go over the top to help stop the slicing? I'm getting it right about 60% of the time now, which is far better than 10% of the time when I started this sport.

Problem is, as soon as a miss the driving range for a couple of weeks, it comes back again. It's not ingrained in my head, which is what I need help with. Advice anyone?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I hit a few shots facing back the front then a few with feet together and then a few thinking clear my hips and then shake hands with target after impact.

Baseball air-swings (standing straight up with hands straight out). It is almost impossible to not roll the wrists and will get your head to remember to do so.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by symowallo View Post
    I think I am pretty close to figuring out why I am slicing, and it appears to be my lack of right wrist rolling over at the time of hitting.

What does everyone else do to try and get the right wrist to go over the top to help stop the slicing? I'm getting it right about 60% of the time now, which is far better than 10% of the time when I started this sport.

Problem is, as soon as a miss the driving range for a couple of weeks, it comes back again. It's not ingrained in my head, which is what I need help with. Advice anyone?
    Things in golf are never this simple. If you are having problems with your swing it is best to look at the whole swing not just one component; one bad move leads to another and if you focus your thoughts on one move (which may not be the problem) something else is sure to catch you.
    For instance, if the distance between your elbows increases during the swing the clubface will be facing skywards in an open position at impact. An outside to in swing path through the ball position requires the elbows to separate to keep the clubface pointing at the target. If the elows retain their at address distance the right forearm will roll over the left at impact squaring the clubface to the swing path; if it happens to be outside to in the ball will go left and stay left maybe even have hook spin.

There is no wrist roll in the golf swing, not if you want to play the game to your potential. There is forearm rotation during the backswing which should be matched with a similar amount of unrotation in the downswing to return the clubface to square on normal shots.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Wooh... sounds harder than I thought it was. Time to think about the elbows too. I shouldn't have said wrist roll, what I meant was "I slice a lot and in the last lesson I had, the instructor said that I'm not moving my right arm across properly and therefore not striking the ball square".

Maybe it is the elbows after all like you have said Razaar... The baseball bat sounds like a good idea too Henno. And Ferrins - the stance idea sounds like it can help get the hip action sorted out too. Thanks for the ideas all.

Ah anyway, you know what I mean. Thanks for the advice.

Senior Member Major Winner

I have a great drill for this - are you anywhere near the north shore ?

Can you get to Narabeen on a Thursday night ?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Virge can you put up the details when you get a chance. i'm interested in this and would like to try it.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Better still, make the trip and see the man. Be worthwhile i dare say.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping S159 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by symowallo View Post
    What does everyone else do to try and get the right wrist to go over the top to help stop the slicing?
    Do you feel that you are really fighting to stop the ball from slicing?

My thought is that your right wrist should rotate over naturally should everything else fall into place, this is not something you should consciously have to do. So if you are serious about your golf, get someone to fix the fundamentals of your backswing as your position at the top is wrong - if you get that right, its quite difficult to have this problems.

though in saying that you might like to try some lateral thinking. Have you have played cricket? Try hitting lofted shots over long on, instead of flashing cover drives.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

My thought is that your right wrist should rotate over naturally should everything else fall into place, this is not something you should consciously have to do. So if you are serious about your golf, get someone to fix the fundamentals of your backswing as your position at the top is wrong - if you get that right, its quite difficult to have this problems.

though in saying that you might like to try some lateral thinking. Have you have played cricket? Try hitting lofted shots over long on, instead of flashing cover drives.
    The cricket comparison is a good one, after I have the odd game of cricket it takes a very conscious effort not to block everything out to the right.

Unless of course you are just hacking everything to the legside...

The rule is - if the clubface is open at the top of the backswing (clubface pointing horizontally) it needs to need to be closing during the downswing to square up the blade through the impact area. The same applies to a shut face at the top of the backswing (clubface pointing skywards) where the clubface needs to be opening during the downswing to square up the face at impact. The follow through position when the arms start slowing down indicates by their position what has occurred in the impact area.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    I have a great drill for this - are you anywhere near the north shore ?

Can you get to Narabeen on a Thursday night ?
    Hey Virge, I'm in the inner west but will travel in order to kill my slicing and topping! Away this week and maybe next but PM me the details mate... Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

Thanks for the suggestions mark. The more I slice it, the more I think about it and yes, I probably do think about it too much which just feeds on itself. Some days I'm on, some I'm off.

When I had some lessons, my instructor picked me as a former cricketer because of the way I was hitting and told me to lose the cricket habits!

Senior Member Major Winner

PM Sent

It has taken me nearly 4 years to lose the cover drive.

Think about taking the ball from outside off to cow corner.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Thread Information