Senior Member Major Winner

Default OMSSwing

so with the fear of getting laughed out of ozgolf here is my swing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfWmRWrj1k

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVyy5pqvvg

and 6i

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5idr9YHv-3E

comments please, WAnkers are not required to enter their thoughts in this thread, especially canadian ones.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Blog Entries

im not going to comment on the swing, but that looks like the hole that is Melville Golf centre.

Only cause i'm too lazy to look for myself, what flex shaft do you have in the driver?
    Last edited by rubin; 24th March 2011 at 12:12 AM.
    long and soft

GL: 6011911179

it is a Reg NV Voodoo in that driver, but as of tomorrow it will be SVS6 voodoo and we'll see how that goes.

why you ask?

and yes MGC is a hole, out of the 100 bucket i bought 5 balls would of had dimples on them.

Blog Entries

Just curious mate. It seemed to flex a hell of a lot at impact.

I was there tonight, and the amount of times i heard the 'whistle' of a busted ball cover was ridiculous.

On the swing side though, you do seem to have a very stiff/solid backswing. very tensed up and you dont look relaxed.
    long and soft

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

To my untrained eye - these observations without much thought:
    On your back swing face on driver swing - slight reverse pivot or not enough or synchronised weight transfer.
    On downswing, at impact, left leg is not firm but bent leading to a power leak.

Side on backswing - you're not on plane. Check out where the butt-end is tracing. It seems to be missing the plane line.
    Backswing looks a little outside with clubhead mass not supported by hands as it stays outside the hands.

On the downswing and after impact - clubhead hasn't crossed plane line - could lead to high, soft fades.
    On finish, left knee looks bent - again could be causal from impact.

Just my 2 cents worth. No doubt, there will be others who would disagree - and I won't dispute those who are more schooled/
    Last edited by idgolfguy; 24th March 2011 at 12:37 AM.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Geez is that all idg

and they were my good swings

I have a perception of a good swing - not what I do. I was just comparing it to my perception. I am also TGM and some of that may creep in. As I said, I am not necessarily right.
    I could add a couple more observations - but I'll wait to see if I am on track.

When have I ever commented on a swing on this forum? You're the first!

It's still a functional swing. You can still play to a low HC, if it was consistent. It really depends on the extent you want to change.

In my case, I don't want to change my swing - just tweak it to reduce inconsistency.
    Last edited by idgolfguy; 24th March 2011 at 12:36 AM.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

I'm in Adelaide at the moment and it is past midnight. I have an early start and can't sleep.
    - Woody Allen

consistency! that's what i am missing more than anything, when my swing works im happy as larry but when it goes wrong it's a long day.

i don't have time or money to rebuild a swing but if i can work on making it a little more consistent that'd be good.

do you think my right leg should be more rigid than it is? it seems to collapse on me pretty early in the down swing?

Quote Originally Posted by idgolfguy View Post
    I'm in Adelaide at the moment and it is past midnight. I have an early start and can't sleep.
    you never do sleep do you?

would you say my stance is a little wide idg?

They've flown me over to do a 40 min presentation and then fly me back home again. Issue is I'd like to sleep so that my brain is clear as I am doing the keynote. I thought about alcohol but it isn't something I do normally.
    - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    You should borrow my Bobby Clampett book - Impact Zone.

Of late, I've given up on being too static in terms of stance and alignment - and it has been working.

I prefer a wider stance to reduce sway. You have a bit going on down there. Your legs and hips seem to be moving together on the back swing reducing any coil and power buildup.

I've been working on keeping my base stable and over the last six to eight weeks or so, I have improved on driver and wood distances. I actually expect to get on both the back 9 par 5s in two with Driver and 5 wood at most. I can get on the 1st par 5 in two on the front nine, but it is a tougher green to hold.

Last four outings, I have birdied both back nine Par 5s at lease twice because of getting on in two. This is due to the stable base and wider stance.

Did I tell you, I played the back 9 in 36 with four birdies and one par last Sat comp - all in reg. Too bad it was a Par round.
    Last edited by idgolfguy; 24th March 2011 at 01:01 AM.
    - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    I'm hesitant to give advice - happy to provide observations. Golf is not just a bunch discrete components that can be tweaked independently. What you need to identify is what is causing you to swing the way you do. That would come from a Virge or Razaar, who do it for a living and have experienced different swings and issues and can identify the various causes.

Otherwise, you would be like Nuffie or Golfnut looking at workarounds that may lead you down the wrong path.
    There is probably an order to resolve each issue too, fixing them out of order may cause more harm than good.

In working on my swing - I have just focused on one turning point, in this case my stance at the moment. I have not let anything else get into consideration and have committed in comps to just let whatever happens - as long as my stance is good. As a result, my alignment has improved a little more.
    - Woody Allen

thanks idg some sage words in there, now go to sleep.

Going to try mate. Have to wake up in 4 hours.
    - Woody Allen

Simmsy, the first thing you need to correct is that hip sway. A good backswing has the hip angle staying constant with the right hip clearing out of the way with the butt sticking out. Yours straightens the angle of the hips and tilts the upper body into a reverse pivot position. Once this happens the posture and body angles set up at address are lost with little chance of finding them again at impact. The cure lies in allowing the top half to turn behind the ball without worrying too much about the head staying still. This will feel to you that your upper body is swaying to the right. This feeling is brought about because your body is too vertical at address and the shoulders are level. The correct address position has the right shoulder lower because the right hand is lower on the grip. The tilt is to keep the spine in alignment with the shoulders. This position encourages an inside swing path and allows the upper body to stay behind the ball position. It would be a good idea to move the ball back in your stance (especially with the driver and longer clubs) to encourage you to turn behind the ball for starters.

This clip of the hip turn and return is what you should be striving for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTM...feature=relmfu
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Thanks razaar. Plenty to think about and work on then. Cheers.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I see some lateral hip slide, not enough turn.

Suggest aggressivley turning your lower body hard left through impact.
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

To get the right tilt, I was told to bend forward at the hips and then bump your hips down the line a little and that gets you the right amount of tilt.
    - Woody Allen

I'm now wondering how I have ever played a decent shot in my life. God that swing is crapola. Need to do some work.

Thanks to all with comments thus far. I'll report back when I get lost in my changes.

Cheers.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Three things. It gets results so don't be to quick to **** with it ala Padrig!

#2. What is with the related videos on you tube!

#3. The first vid when you were setting up the camera, I thought for a second the zoom function had defeated you! nice job OMS.

Yeah the related vids thing is a worry!
    The undies for trees had me intrigued.

I hope I don't become a Padraig.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Three things. It gets results so don't be to quick to **** with it ala Padrig!

#2. What is with the related videos on you tube!

#3. The first vid when you were setting up the camera, I thought for a second the zoom function had defeated you! nice job OMS.
    Yoss has actually said something of intelligence for once! If its working for you, dont go trying to change everything for the sake of 5 yds difference.
    long and soft

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Simmsy is always chasing that extra 20m!

That said I get the desire for change, the bad shots are always horrible at our level and you want to get rid of them.

Thread Information