Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Guess so. Camden Lakeside to stay as is - although I've not been out there for maybe a year. Did they already lose some holes to the housing that's going in there? I remember hearing that there were plans to put houses around the 2nd and 3rd holes, or something.
    No idea that's why I'm asking....

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

They moved the 2nd green / 3rd tee a while back (both becoming slightly better holes IMO) so that they could put houses along the driveway into the club. Nothing happened on that yet though.

Banned

Ozgolf day for some reconnaissance?

I've been told by my mate that they are rebuilding 2 greens every few months until they are all done. Current the 10th and 18th are temp greens.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    I've been told by my mate that they are rebuilding 2 greens every few months until they are all done. Current the 10th and 18th are temp greens.
    Yeah 10th and 18th were temps when I played there in May. Be surprised if they are not back in play by now and they are on to the next ones??

Banned

That's a big project. Probably worth it for the members in the long run though.

ok 10th and 18th are back in play,1st and 4th will be back in play early 2017,next 2 holes after that will be 11th and 17th

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Anyone played Camden Lakeside of late? Playing there tomorrow morning for the first time in ages...since before they started redoing the greens. Looking forward to it...quite enjoy the course. Was out there for a quick look the other week - the new 18th green looks awesome, and tricky. My memory may be fuzzy, but looks like they've raised that green from how it was.
    I'll drop some feedback on the course condition and green renovation progress in this thread after my round when I get a chance.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Played Camden Lakeside in mid-August and thought I'd leave a few of my thoughts below on the changes that are in progress at the course for anyone who may be interested in the current state of the renovations etc. Hope OzGolfers find this of use. Excuse the formatting...looks like my paragraph spacing may have vanished.

1. The greens (newly renovated ones and older ones) were all much firmer and faster than I ever remember them being.

2. The newly renovated greens are generally VERY dramatic in terms of their slopes and shapes. There's buried elephants in a few of them...often Mike Clayton-esque (just based on what I've seen of Clayton's work at The Lakes and read about his work at Bonnie Doon). Key examples are the new greens on holes 1, 4, 10 and 18. Some are overdone in my opinion and may limit available pin positions. Nonetheless, I think it'd be fun trying to figure them out if you were a member there.

3. Holes 11 and 17 were temp greens when I played there.

4. Changes to some holes look like they'll be awesome, others not so awesome. For example, on hole 17 (already a long par 4 rated hardest hole on the course) the new green is about 35m further back from where the old grew was. This is good as it brings the lake behind the green into play. The members I played with told me this hole may become a par 5, which would make sense.The new 11th green is about 40m behind and about 45* to the right of where the existing green was, which also puts it down a slope in a bit of a valley. Looks like this will make the approach (both second shot or third shot if laying up) a lot more interesting and dramatic. From memory I think there may also end up being a small water hazard just to the right of the 11th green.One change that has made a hole worse is the moving of the 12th tee. It is now about 30m or more to left of where it used to sit, making this short par 4 dead straight, less challenging, and less interesting in my opinion. The old tee position bought the water on the right into play and made the hole a slight dogleg right - you could play it safe, or bite off a chunk of the corner, leaving a shorter approach but bringing the water into play of the tee.

5. There's four new holes that I'm told by members are completed and awaiting to be put into play. These four new holes run up and back across the side of a sloping hill directly to the right of the 5th tee. From what I could see, these holes look quite interesting and they remind me of Stonecutters Ridge.

6. Big changes to the routing of the course are on the cards. According to the members I played with, the current holes 2 and 3 (and possibly even hole 1) will being going, making way for more residential developments. They were a bit fuzzy on the details, but they seemed convinced that the new layout will be a bit messy in terms of the flow of the holes. They also mentioned (but couldn't confirm this) something about holes 5, 6 and 7 being replaced by those four new holes to the right of the current 5th hole that I mentioned above, which would be a shame as I like the 5th hole.

7. While it is undergoing all this work, I will say that the course otherwise was in very good nick. Lovely couch fairways.

8. I hit a great drive on the short par 5 13th, had 185m in to the raised green), hit a solid 4-iron, which turned over too much and went into the thick scrub to the left of the green. I played a provisional, smoked the best 4-iron of my life to 4-feet from the pin....and then found my damn first ball in the scrub. Son of a beach.
    Last edited by FuzzyJuzzy; 10th September 2017 at 09:06 AM.

Anyone played here recently....how is the course conditions?

course is in great condition mrbluu, no temp greens at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    course is in great condition mrbluu, no temp greens at the moment
    Thanks mate, might have to get out there soon.

anyone been here lately since the big wet?

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    anyone been here lately since the big wet?
    Course is pretty soft under foot at the moment, however carts have been back out for a couple of days now. Greens have started to firm up a lot with minimal rain over the last week or so.

Temp tees currently in play on the 1st with work relating to the new housing development going on down the left hand side.

Temp green in play on the 2nd as they rework the surrounds of the green. The wet weather appears to have delayed this work, not sure when it will be complete.

g_n_r I heard they are using the driving range for housing?? Any plans for a new range?

Senior Member Major Winner

played it yesterday - the front nine is just trashed.. and a bit of a battle.
    Greens are good and pretty brutal as always.

Back nine will be spectacular -- Like properly enjoyable golf.

I dont understand the tufts of grass being used to separate the fairways though.. You miss the fairway by 2 feet and the ball is lost .. and i mean proper lost. tis a stupid idea, make a waste area, especially for very tight fairways.

Apart from that - really enjoyed it.

That's correct. No plans for a new range that I'm aware of.

Thread Information