Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Thanks for the update. Was wondering what the latest was. A few mates and I have played Camden Valley Easter Monday for the past 5 years or so... due to the closure this year we have moved elsewhere which won't be the same.

I wonder what this is all going to do to Lakeside... is it going to become just another good members course? or will it still maintain that feel of playing somewhere special?

Jim,

Are the existing CV members still going to have Sunday, Tuesday & Friday comps?

What are the comp fees now? ($20 a comp adds over $1000 to someone who plays every Saturday over the period of a year)

Will CV members get a 'fair go' with regards to social play considering they will be playing for free when a social playing visitor would be playing $50 - $70?

What happens to Lakesides existing members? Most, especially coorprates, are paying more than CV members & only for a certain amount of rounds.

When they re-open the books, how many more members are they going to let in & are they going to be able to get a game?

What happens to the staff (pro staff & greens staff) at CV?

What is the contractual agreement with Lakeside & for how long?

Where will the membership dollars be going?

How much say will CV have in the running of the course, especially on comp days? (Tee positions, pins, etc.)

It's early in the morning, so that's all I've got.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Can I add, will it still take 6 hours to play Lakeside ?

I don't think it's a course I could play week in and week out, purely for the lack of enjoyment.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

3OD: When my old man was a member there (up until 2007) I can't remember taking more than 4.5hr as a fourball and the course was often close to empty.

Have 6hr rounds become common there?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Last time we played, in a comp, we drove off after 16. Haven't been back since.

Maybe it was a one off, it was last year at some stage. For the price you pay (or had to) you'd like to think they could have someone out there marshalling.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Jim, Are members visitor welcome this weekend? I am free for a game this Saturday I know it will be at the CV course too before any one says anything.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

To try and answer the questions, without a heaps of quotes from previous threads:

Andrew - I don't have answers to many of your questions. They are the questions I intend to ask if I find someone in a position of authority next time I go there. However, Camden Valley now control Lakeside, so I'd suggest it will be administered for the benefit of the members. It is more likely that the social players will get the short end of the stick on Saturdays. If I was a corporate member of the current Lakeside I'd be trying to negotiate a way out of the agreement. The current comp fee is $11, so the increase is a significant extra cost to the regular comp player.

Scottt - on a half-empty course, it is probably a very pleasant 4.5 hour stroll. But I've heard of 6 hour Saturday rounds following block bookings of corporate groups. I'd reckon a full field of 200 or so players has the potential to create very slow rounds. Most of us members won't be in carts, and there are a few longish walks between greens and tees. Time spent looking for golf balls in knee-deep rough is a primary cause of delays. I'll be in favour of cutting the deep rough back.

Grunt - I'll send you a PM to discuss a Saturday game, but CV weekend comps are members only. It is just about impossible to find a vacant spot in the Saturday comp. I hope the situation improves when we move to Lakeside, but it might not.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

can anyone advise the latest with Lakeside?
    was planning to play on Thursday,after reading this thread a few questions have popped up
    1.are they open for social play all day Thursday?
    2.have they started mucking around with the course yet?
    3.coring/sanding substitution

any info appreciated

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrick View Post
    can anyone advise the latest with Lakeside?
    was planning to play on Thursday,after reading this thread a few questions have popped up
    1.are they open for social play all day Thursday?
    2.have they started mucking around with the course yet?
    3.coring/sanding substitution

any info appreciated

Cheers
    I believe the letter Jim received stated it would come into effect 1 July 2010. So my guess is that Lakeside will be business as usual until then.
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

How's the new hole at Lakeside? Is it playing well?
    And the mayor announced from Thursday on should not be shat into the creek anymore, because on Saturday beer is brewed.

Eldrick,

At the moment there is no change to existing arrangements. However, I suggest you call the course and ask in advance regarding coring/sanding of the greens. I think they were done last week, which would make them Ok but slow. But I may be wrong.

There is a 'new' second green which isn't in play yet, and won't be put into play until July. I overheard one of the greenkeepers talking about it. Apparently construction started under the old management, before all the plans changed, and they decided to continue building it anyway, even though it isn't needed any more.

Thats all I know at this point. The guys I played with last weekend didn't know any more than I did.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

thanks Jim
    ill check before booking.Slow greens aren't a problem as long as the roll well enough

just wanted to make sure i am playing the course as per its reputation

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

New second green? Where is it in relation to the old one?

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    New second green? Where is it in relation to the old one?
    If memory serves me correctly It's down and to the left of the old second green. Closer to the third green I believe. Last time I was there the 3rd tee had moved further around to the right also (if you were looking at the green from the old tee). Not sure if that 3rd tee was temp.

The crunch day of 1 July is upon us, and I can answer some of the questions that were posed much earlier on concerning the future of Camden Lakeside and Camden Valley.

As of next Thursday, which is 1 July, the Camden Valley membership takes over the Lakeside course. I am (or will be) a member of Camden Lakeside Country Club.

The competition situation is exactly as it was at the Valley. Open comps on Tuesday and Friday, members only comps on Saturday and Sunday. The sheets are full for the inaugural comps next weekend, so it seems most of the regular playing members have renewed their subscriptions. So, for visitors, the Tuesday and Friday comps are the go. I can't invite anybody an a weekend for a comp round, so sorry about that.

I don't know what the new visitors fee will be, or what tees we'll play from as the normal members tee.

The Camden Valley course will remain open for at least the next 12 months as a public green fee course while the developer decides what to do with it.

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but some readers may be interested to know that the Camden Valley Golf Resort course (once known a long time ago as Rugby Leagues Country Club) will close on 1 August 2011, and almost certainly will never re-open.

There was a notice on the Lakeside board to that effect, and partly for nostalgia reasons I went to the Valley today.

I had a long chat with the pro-shop guy, who was in a talkative mood. It appears to have been purely a decision of the Leagues Clubs Board of Directors, who control the Golf Club and course, presumably for financial reasons. Even though my pro-shop informant told me he was collecting good revenue on weekends, weekdays are dead (although most of the traffic in the old days was members playing social rounds anyway) and the Board weren't interested in golf at all.

The licenced clubhouse will stay open, but without golfers dropping in, I can't see how it will keep going.

For old times sake I slipped round a quick 18. It wasn't the best course in Sydney, particularly in its 1 to 9 and 19 to 27 configuration, but it wasn't the worst either. I'll miss the Valley.

Yeah damn shame to see it go that's for sure. Was always a nice course in good nick and with the 27 holes fairly excessible for a game. Surely with all the new estates going up around there, even with only 18 holes, the numbers wanting a game would only increase??

Senior Member Major Winner

Sad days. Some of my workmates love that course, they'll be gutted.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Was inevitable that this was to happen. The land in that area is now worth so much as housing it would have to be a goldmine to stop the closure.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

It hasnt closed theyve just shortened it with temp holes on the 1st and 2nd.
    the 1st had one of the worst ‘greens’ I've ever seen, for months. Its bedded in a bit better now but its still not great. Then the 2nd is a temporary tee to the old green making it 100m but they haven’t even bothered making it look like a tee its just the markers halfway down an old fairway, and its a long walk with no signs from the 1st green. But after that its ok and seeing as you can always get on any time of the weekend as long as you book by Tuesday its a decent hit for those of us who aren’t members anywhere.

Senior Member Major Winner

Eh? Have you played there this month?

Sorry Bilbo, but I can confirm absolutely that the course is closed.

I went there two Sundays ago just to have a look, and possibly have a bit of a practice. What I actually did is pull out my shag bag and hit some balls from the edge of the car park down the 26th fairway. Not only was there nobody around to stop me, not one car pulled up in the car park between 11.30 and 12.30pm while I was doing it. I suspect none of the remaining clubhouse staff would care, so I might treat the land as my personal practice area whenver I'm motivated enough to hit some balls.

The clubhouse is still operating purely as a licenced club with pokies and beer, but I can't see how it could possibly be making any money at t he moment.

Most of the greens have been dug up and the turf sold to other courses. I believe New Brighton and Cromer were the takers.

only played there in july. shame it was an ok course

I received this message today from the developers of The Heritage housing estate.

"The Camden Valley Golf Resort Course has been closed and will ultimately form part of The Hermitage. Our master plan envisions an additional 9-hole layout, with practice facilities that will become part of the existing Lakeside Golf Course. It is planned that this will deliver a total of 27-holes.

Warms Regards,

The Hermitage Team"

I like the way they say they are going to 'deliver' 27 holes. It still means the south-west of Sydney is down another 18 holes.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Actually Hermitage's message sounds kinda non-commital, might wind up only being 18 holes then SW Sydney will be down 27 holes.

Thread Information