Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default AndyP's hunt for new irons

I thought that I had convinced myself that I needed new irons, but now I'm not so sure.

I currently use Palmer Prizms, that have a cavity back and are offset. (That's pretty technical talk for me. Perhaps someone else could provide more details on my clubs. ) I bought these clubs about 4.5 years ago, when I first started getting into golf seriously, and the only thing I have done to them is change grips within the last few months.

What benefits will I get out of new irons, that I am not getting from my current irons? Are my current clubs hindering my scoring potential?
    OR
    Would I be better off just putting a shaft that suits me in the Prizms, and getting the lofts checked/corrected?

Some of you have seen my swing, and seen my clubs, so you may be able to provide some feedback, that others cannot.

Cheers
    Andy

Senior Member Major Winner

Tough one AP - you're playing pretty good golf - why change? Then again, coming from me .....

In all seriousness - get all over those Ping Blades Reg is selling in the Pro Shop, they are sweet clubs. Ok, i'm coming from quite possibly the most unforgiving set on the site (in the Norman Grind's), but the Ping I3 Blades are great to hit.

The thing i found with dabbling around with the HO's, you don't get a fit-up so you want to wait until the right deal comes your way I got lucky with my retail trade-in bargain, doesn't hurt to ask retail stores if they have had any recent trades.

As for changing shafts - it was going to cost me $400-500 for a set of shafts for the Grind's, so that's when i set myself a target spend
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Quick disclaimer: Finances probably aren't in a position to buy irons right now. Although I have had a good look at several sets thrown up on this website over the past few months. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have strong willpower.

Whatever I do get, I could not possibly buy without trying first (at least that make anyway, if I was to buy from ebay or something).

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    Quick disclaimer: Finances probably aren't in a position to buy irons right now. Although I have had a good look at several sets thrown up on this website over the past few months. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have strong willpower.

Whatever I do get, I could not possibly buy without trying first (at least that make anyway, if I was to buy from ebay or something).
    When can anyone afford anything? Never - just bloody do it

Hooley dooley, i'm turning into Jarro....

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I had salespeople rolling their eyes every time I went in at lunchtime to kick tires and compare items. I spent time with every kind of putter they had on the floor spending whole lunchtimes on their test greens. And then I bought the Monza on eBay. Patience is a virtue.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Honestly, the best thing you can do is have your clubs and your swing assessed by a professional clubfitter.

They will check out your iron swing speed, where you are soling the club (making contact with the ground) and talk to you about your game and your goals.

Then they will tell you if your current irons are suitable as is, if they need reshafting or tweaked for lie and loft or if a completely new set is warranted.

Just remember when you change irons there's usually an adjustment period until you can trust them. For ho's it's usually 9 holes, for non-ho's it can be much longer.

If you know your specs well enough, on-line shopping through eBay can save you a bit of money, but you don't have the luxury of trialling the club first.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    Srixon ZX5 9.5* Hazrdus Smoke Black 60s/ Baldo 8c Craft 9* Rogue 110msi Silver 60s
    Tour Edge Exotics 15* - Motore 70s
    Mizuno JPX HM 4 iron, bent to 19*
    Srixon ZX5 4 - 6, ZX785 7 - PW KBS Tour stiff
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #7

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by davidp
    Honestly, the best thing you can do is have your clubs and your swing assessed by a professional clubfitter.

They will check out your iron swing speed, where you are soling the club (making contact with the ground) and talk to you about your game and your goals.

Then they will tell you if your current irons are suitable as is, if they need reshafting or tweaked for lie and loft or if a completely new set is warranted.

If you know your specs well enough, on-line shopping through eBay can save you a bit of money, but you don't have the luxury of trialling the club first.
    David speaks the truth.
    Spend the $30-40 or whatever it costs to have a fitting session at a clubmaker. A decent one will not "push" you into buying a set of their brand of clubs (after all, you paid a fee for the fitting session). If you don't need to change for any technical reason... dont! I need to go back and get my lies & lofts checked, so I can take you to GCI if you want...

If you need longer/shorter/stiffer/softer shafts then ditch the prizms. Shafts are gonna set you back around $30 each. Get a new set of clubs made for you or find a set with the specs required. If the clubfitter tells you that you need something other than "standard" lie angle clubs, then you gotta look at Pings or forged etc. to accommodate this. Cast clubs can't be bent more than 1-2 degrees safely.

Fishy got lucky with his Pings. If you're patient and know what specs you need, you might find a cheap used set come up too. Or you can do what I did and buy a cheap set of forged irons and then adjust the length/lie to suit. Either way, $500 should find you in some great, well-fitted irons.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

AP,

I believe that you grow into clubs and after a certain time you can actually grow out of them..... 4.5 years is a long time to have a set. If you are looking seriously at improving your game, you do need to try other things.

Golf clubs are not like women, you can try out many differing ones and not get in strife, so why not ? I have 2 sets myself and am going to buy a set of the new smt irons when they come out, that'll make 3. I have Titleist DCI-b (1iron to PW) , Taylor Made RAC LT"S (2iron to PW) and soon the SMT 303mb's (3iron to PW).

Spread yourself around, try them all..... you will find the one's you feel really comfortable with.... try them again and then fall in love with them..

Confidence in your clubs can mean 5 shots on your score card....and that's my $0.02 worth too...

Cheers

Keza

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Andippy,

Forget all that calculated stuff, get yourself a set of blades and stop mucking around. Jarros probably got a spare set in the shed

Otherwise, if you need the input of this lot to convince you, then you don't really want to do it, so lock the thread now, should I click the report button for you ???

Never make the decision based on the assumption that a new set of sticks will get you to the next "level", ask yourself "what CAN'T I do with my current set that I want to do with the next set", the next question would then be, "why do I think I can do that with the next set ??".

Can I shape it the way I want to, hit it high, hit it low ???? why do you want to change ??? do folks give you a hard time about the "prisms" ?? why, why, why ???

Pete

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday
    Andippy,

Never make the decision based on the assumption that a new set of sticks will get you to the next "level", ask yourself "what CAN'T I do with my current set that I want to do with the next set", the next question would then be, "why do I think I can do that with the next set ??".

Can I shape it the way I want to, hit it high, hit it low ???? why do you want to change ??? do folks give you a hard time about the "prisms" ?? why, why, why ???

Pete
    And, of course, a true ho' doesn't stop to think about all that stuff. They just think, "Oooohhhh, pretty clubs. Gotta get me a piece of that."
    Srixon ZX5 9.5* Hazrdus Smoke Black 60s/ Baldo 8c Craft 9* Rogue 110msi Silver 60s
    Tour Edge Exotics 15* - Motore 70s
    Mizuno JPX HM 4 iron, bent to 19*
    Srixon ZX5 4 - 6, ZX785 7 - PW KBS Tour stiff
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #7

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas
    Fishy got lucky with his Pings. If you're patient and know what specs you need, you might find a cheap used set come up too. Or you can do what I did and buy a cheap set of forged irons and then adjust the length/lie to suit. Either way, $500 should find you in some great, well-fitted irons.
    You got that right. I did plenty of looking, pushing and prodding around to see what's out there. In that time I some advice and had a fair idea of what i needed, and I was lucky enough to find something retail that was traded-in by a 27 handicapper (allegedly ) who was desperate to get something else.

The beauty-part was that I had the chance to hit them in the nets in-store and quickly determined they were the correct lie angle, as i struck a bunch of balls consistently in the right spot.

you need to add to the Poll;

: your kidding - the best Ozgolfer doesnt need new sticks, he needs new opponents.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Spend the $30-40 or whatever it costs to have a fitting session at a clubmaker. .
    Why pay? I thought most do it for free. If they dont, got to GCI, they are free, and not pushy at all.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    Spend the $30-40 or whatever it costs to have a fitting session at a clubmaker. .
    Why pay? I thought most do it for free. If they dont, got to GCI, they are free, and not pushy at all.
    Last time I was there (a year ago) they told me I was one of the last fitting sessions they would do for free. They were implementing a charge for the service. I belive that charge was reimbursed if you bought gear from them, however.

I agree, they are not pushy though.

golflink WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

that 30 - 40 bucks would be money well spent IMO...
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Quick disclaimer: Finances probably aren't in a position to buy irons right now.
    .. well why waste time even thinking about getting any then

seriously though, new irons will improve your game ... i think the Prisms are a little "dated" and aren't quite the most forgiving around :P
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Andy, ask yourself this question:

What is the ONE THING that you expect your next set of iron will do for you?

i.e....

Gaz change from MP30 -> Cally X16 pro and expected greater forgiveness

Kee change from Adams GT-U -> Mizuno expected a softer feeling off the face

Me change from Factor -> Adams GT-U because I want no offset and more aggresive loft.

If you can answer that, you know if you need a new iron or not

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    Took me for $70 for a little over an hours work here in Sydney. Of course, that $70 is also the first part of any work he does to your sticks.

Why should AndyP buy new irons?
    so that he can join the rest of us in the year 2005...
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

AndyP get rid of those door stops you are using and try something a little more up to date. It will make a difference to your game trust me I now have a set that suits my swing and they feel great of the clubface. Plus I love how they look

You don't have to go out and spend a fortune, just have a good look around and you will pick yourself up a bargain.

Don't worry if they are a "bargain". Get a set that are fitted for you and that you will have confidence in. Golf is such a game of confidence and if you have doubts in your equipment -your performance is bound to suffer.
    Go to a club fitter - see if you trust their judgement - then go from there.

Thats my $0.04c worth ( It's a Saturday - double time!!)
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

David speaks the truth.
    Spend the $30-40 or whatever it costs to have a fitting session at a clubmaker.
    I need to go back and get my lies & lofts checked, so I can take you to GCI if you want...
    Sounds like a plan. I was thinking that I would need to do this.

$500 should find you in some great, well-fitted irons.
    Now you are talking my sort of language. $$$$$$ That's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday

Hey, I'm asking the questions here.
    Pete, I'm not really sure what I would want to do with the next set. Good point.
    I just figured I might hit it better than the current irons.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    Quick disclaimer: Finances probably aren't in a position to buy irons right now.
    .. well why waste time even thinking about getting any then
    So I can start thinking about it, and start saving now if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergirl
    Don't worry if they are a "bargain". Get a set that are fitted for you and that you will have confidence in.
    FG, you recently got some fitted clubs. Do you mind telling me how much these set you back?

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    new irons will improve your game ... i think the Prisms are a little "dated" and aren't quite the most forgiving around :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Eag's
    AndyP get rid of those door stops you are using and try something a little more up to date. It will make a difference to your game trust me.
    How will it make a difference? Better feel? More control?
    Considering my clubs were a beginner set, you would have to expect a fair bit of forgiveness, wouldn't you?

-----

I'm surprised that noone has suggested I get fitting for a 0° putter yet?

Thanks for you help. Keep it coming.

Why bother??? You chip quite well with your current putter.

golflink WITB

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Why bother??? You chip quite well with your current putter.
    :smt043 you asked for that one AndyP

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

andy, go the free fit session with the GCI guys.

you can get the form off their website so you can fill it out in advance, cuts down time on the floor. runs you through what you like/.dislike about your current setup, leading to talking and a go upstairs on the swing machine.

might be a simple matter of what shot tendancies you have with your current ones could be tweaked by a lie adjustment and they become even more pure gold.

i haven't played a round in your group for yonks, from memory you play the prizms excellently, nice pick off the grass, great high flight..

anything troubling you about them particularly?

you swing is so good you are at a hcap level of ability where fitting will benefit you way more than the rest of us back in the pack so the GCI guys will certainly be able to assist.

if not them, try Peter Shaw over at Oxley, his computer/vid cam setup is excellent and will give you better visual feedback immediately of your iron play, ss etc.

Thread Information