Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Excellent. Lolly Scrambles was a good laugh.

I've been reading the Wheel Of Time series again. What a drag. 30 plus chapters meh full of characters you can't ****ing remember because there is so ****ing many of them, to get the 10 good chapters where something actually happens. I've just started the first Sanderson co-write, that is, the first of the last three.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Just started 'Nova Wars' by Gary Gibson. It's the second part of the Stealing Light trilogy.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Just finished "How to paint your car on a budget" and beginning to re read "How to Pinstripe"

I like technical books. They help me sleep.

Blog Entries

Australian Principles of Tort Law, 2nd Ed. It is a hoot.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Excellent. Lolly Scrambles was a good laugh.

I've been reading the Wheel Of Time series again. What a drag. 30 plus chapters meh full of characters you can't ****ing remember because there is so ****ing many of them, to get the 10 good chapters where something actually happens. I've just started the first Sanderson co-write, that is, the first of the last three.
    The cowrittenone is good. They pick up again. The series drags badly from 6-10 though.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

+1. Maybe Jordan wasn't as good a writer as he thought.

Andy, did you ever try that assassin series I mentioned in this thread? Brent Weekes I think was the author's name.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Kingslayer, is that the "Night Angel" trilogy? I have it in my bookcase to read sometime shortly...got the box set from Amazon US for about $15 a month or two ago.

Currently, I have just started reading (or re-reading the first 6, after nearly 15+ yrs) the R.A. Salvatore "The Legend of Drizzt" Box Series...13 books in all. I have another trilogy from him as well "The Hunters' Blades" but I'll have a break between the Drizzt series and that. May well read the Night Angel series...

Also ordered Conn Iggulden's new trilogy "'Ghengis" today...(I have, and have actually read, his 4 book 'Emperor' series based on Caesar).

As well as that, I have Robyn Young's "Brethren" trilogy on it's way (about Knights Templar in the Holy Land) and the "Crusades" trilogy by Jan Guillou too...(there is a fairly recent movie based on this series called Arn:The Knight Templar, which I happened to throw in the box with the books...cost $9)

That should keep me busy for a while... 28 BOOKS IN ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    Kingslayer, is that the "Night Angel" trilogy? I have it in my bookcase to read sometime shortly...got the box set from Amazon US for about $15 a month or two ago.

Currently, I have just started reading (or re-reading the first 6, after nearly 15+ yrs) the R.A. Salvatore "The Legend of Drizzt" Box Series...13 books in all. I have another trilogy from him as well "The Hunters' Blades" but I'll have a break between the Drizzt series and that. May well read the Night Angel series...

Also ordered Conn Iggulden's new trilogy "'Ghengis" today...(I have, and have actually read, his 4 book 'Emperor' series based on Caesar).

As well as that, I have Robyn Young's "Brethren" trilogy on it's way (about Knights Templar in the Holy Land) and the "Crusades" trilogy by Jan Guillou too...(there is a fairly recent movie based on this series called Arn:The Knight Templar, which I happened to throw in the box with the books...cost $9)

That should keep me busy for a while... 28 BOOKS IN ALL.
    Do you lend books? I treat them very well. I'm as pedantic with books as you are with clubs.

Sure...I'll lend you some books. What do you want?

Didn't know you could read...!

I wouldn't mind revisiting the Drizzt series. I remember reading The Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Drizzt series and then some of the novels when they came out.

Wow, R.A. Salvatore... I read that Icewind Dale Trilogy. Thats 20+ years ago for me I reckon, read that and the next 3 which were a prequel from memory. Wonder if my brother still has em' (might have some time to read a bit now Uni's out), didn't know he did 13... Now know R.A. has signed on for another 6 Drizzt book startin' nek' year... Reminds me of the Windmaster's Bane trilogy by Tom Dietz from back then, they were a good read too...

On the bedside table: 'Shots' by Don Walker (yep, the Cold Chisel one), and still flicking through Winton's 'The Turning' (liking the short story format), good reads...

Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    That's it TF. Thought they were a good read.

Thanks for the other suggestions too. I'm lloking for something to read now. The icewind Dale and drizzt references above were obviously used in a game I once played called Baldur's Gate 2 (only computer game I ever really got into) Reckon I may start there.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslayer33 View Post
    Andy, did you ever try that assassin series I mentioned in this thread? Brent Weekes I think was the author's name.
    No, but I've just added it to my list. I jump around between Jordan and Pratchett, and read the series that Lazza recommended by Greg Keyes; it was good.

I'm also reading 'Raising Boys' at the moment.

Mob's, Messiah's and Markets, really enjoying it.
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

No, but I've just added it to my list. I jump around between Jordan and Pratchett, and read the series that Lazza recommended by Greg Keyes; it was good.

I'm also reading 'Raising Boys' at the moment.
    What a coincidence. Yoss is 'raising boys' at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I wouldn't mind revisiting the Drizzt series. I remember reading The Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Drizzt series and then some of the novels when they came out.
    Well...I've just started reading The Dark Elf Trilogy again (Homeland/Exile/Sojourn), so I can lend them to you after I finish them. ('90-'91)

Then it's onto The Icewind Dale Trilogy (The Crystal Shard/Streams Of Silver/ The Halflings Gem)...they were written first, but Dark Elf pre-dates them in the storyline. ('88-'90)

Then there is the Legacy Of The Drow books (The Legacy/Starless Night/Seige Of Darkness/Passage To Dawn). ('92-'96)

After that is the newer Paths Of Darkness Trilogy (The Silent Blade/The Spine Of The World/Servant Of The Shard/Sea Of Swords). ('98-'01)

JC...if you're interested I have his Hunter's Blades Trilogy you can read in the meantime. Alternatively, the Conn Iggulden Emperor books are enjoyable if you like Roman Times.

Blog Entries

I think the only thing gheyer than playing a role playing fantasy game is reading the accompanying novels.

Whether written within the framework of a fantasy role playing game, or as a stand alone fantasy novel...good characters and good writing is just that. That's what I like about Salvatore, Drizzt is such a good character.

(and I played the game at Uni for years too! I never suspected that was Ghey, but thanks for pointing it out)

Enjoy your Tort Law book BTW ...is that all about the need to sift the flour when baking a cake???

Blog Entries

No it is about how I am going to sue you for negligence when you fail to glue driver heads on.

Now that Yoss has proclaimed it as clearly ghey I'm off to buy those books now. (Who better to proclaim something as ghey than our resident law student )

Thanks for the recommendations again TF.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    No it is about how I am going to sue you for negligence when you fail to glue driver heads on.
    I only do that for simmsy...

...it wouldn't make any difference to your game anyway if the head was glued on or not.

Blog Entries

You did it for me as well.

A Feast for Crows (2005)
    A Dance with Dragons (forthcoming) - this was meant to be the last book
    The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)
    A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

It's not looking good for a finish before 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    GRRM is not gunna make it to the end. When AFFC was released 5 years ago he claimed he was splitting the story into 2 and that the second part was so close to done it wouldn't be long for DwD. Fully 2/3 of AFFC didn't need to be written especially all that piss-farting around in Dorne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    GRRM will be dead before this gets wrapped up and possibly before the next book comes out. I'd say he's lost interest in the thing which is a shame. This is possibly my favourite fantasy series.
    I might go and check on his blog/updates again to see if he's finished another chapter. Usually he's too busy with conferences, other projects and watching NFL.

I just did another check. He doesn't even bother talking about it. And now HBO are making a TV series based on Game Of Thrones.

I found this interesting for two reasons. That's more time of his devoted away from writing this book and making the series seems to be a strange decision based on the failing of Legend of the Seeker after two seasons.

FWIW he is 62, so he may yet get it finished, but it may become garbage like Eddings stuff did as he got on.
    Last edited by AndyP; 29th October 2010 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    The cowrittenone is good. They pick up again. The series drags badly from 6-10 though.
    The first co-written book was extremely good. Sanderson got down to business and the story was go go go. If the next two are like that it will be a great finish. I seriously doubt that Jordan would have kept it to three books the way he was going.

I'm getting the new one for Xmas.

They will not force Tapatalk. They will stop degrading Tapatalk. They will not control Tapatalk. Tapatalk will be victorious.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Maybe they should ask Sanderson to re-write the whole thing?

Note: I refuse to read any of it until I see the final book, in print, on my desk.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Thread Information