Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I haven't read any of those authors. I don't get through too many books in a year, as I generally only read just before sleep, or while travelling. I got through 19 books last year, according to Goodreads, but a couple of those were travel guides.
    If I had to recommend just one of those, I would suggest Luke Scull. Not a big name author, and most people haven’t heard of him, but I really enjoyed his “Sword of the North” triology. Unpretentious, not long winded, and just generally fun.

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

I'm giving myself a bit of a challenge to get through at least 50 books this year, whether they be novels, biographies, travel...whatever. Plan is to do what I'm referring to loosely as a technology time out at 10pm each weeknight, read for an hour and then lights out at 11. I have a heap of unread stuff on my bookshelf that will see the light of day.

I've already gone through Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly (typical adventure/action stuff he does, with more than a hint of Jurassic Park), and am about to start off on Ian Poulter's autobiography (found it in a sale bin at my local Dymock's).

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    If I had to recommend just one of those, I would suggest Luke Scull. Not a big name author, and most people haven’t heard of him, but I really enjoyed his “Sword of the North” triology. Unpretentious, not long winded, and just generally fun.
    Thanks. I'll him to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by KristianJ View Post
    I'm giving myself a bit of a challenge to get through at least 50 books this year, whether they be novels, biographies, travel...whatever. Plan is to do what I'm referring to loosely as a technology time out at 10pm each weeknight, read for an hour and then lights out at 11. I have a heap of unread stuff on my bookshelf that will see the light of day.

I've already gone through Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly (typical adventure/action stuff he does, with more than a hint of Jurassic Park), and am about to start off on Ian Poulter's autobiography (found it in a sale bin at my local Dymock's).
    You're already behind the needed 1 book per 7.3 days rate. You might need to flick through some kiddy picture books to keep up.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Dave Stockton - Unconscious Scoring.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Sounds depressing.

I’m 3 chapters in Andy. Here’s a snippet...

You would like the House of Terror Museum in Budapest. It shows the time of Budapest through their Nazi alignment, then followed by occupation of the Russians in Budapest. I toured it with a big hangover to make it even more depressing.

You would like the House of Terror Museum in Budapest. It shows the time of Budapest through their Nazi alignment, then followed by occupation of the Russians in Budapest. I toured it with a big hangover to make it even more depressing.
    Yeah ok, that sounds like it’d be less than ideal. The more I read of it the more intriguing it becomes.

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

You're already behind the needed 1 book per 7.3 days rate. You might need to flick through some kiddy picture books to keep up.
    Poults is done. Lots of short sentences and him talking about his Ferraris and other $$ stuff, but decent enough read.

Not sure what will be next...probably another novel, or a choice between a few cricket books/bios that I've either had for a few weeks or a few years.

I am a big reader of pretty much everything, but I enjoy fantasy much more than sci-fi. I was talking with my brother-in-law (who is a big sci-fi fan) and he argued that the two genres were basically the same, except that one used advanced science in place of magic. Still not convinced by that premise, as there are few sci-fi books that I have enjoyed, but I wonder whether that is some inbuilt prejudice of mine, or whether there is inherently something different in terms of structure / setting.

There are a few authors that write both, as well, but I've rarely strayed into sci-fi.

For whatever reason, sci-fi is one genre that I just can't get into. That and historical romance - I don't accept that academic crap about Jane Austen's books having underlying meanings; if she was born today she would write Mills and Boon.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Also easy to put down and hard to pick up again was The Uplift War, by David Brin. Eventually the effort was semi-worthwhile, but it is a frustrating end to the Uplift Trilogy, because it doesn't address the cliff-hanger ending of the previous volume.

I'm currently struggling through the first book of a second Uplift Trilogy, Brightness Reef. It is even worse, in that Brin is far more interested in creating and describing alien societies than in telling a story. There are another two books following this one. I'm not sure I'm going to finish this, particularly with the Reynolds books promising a much more enjoyable reading experience.
    I eventually finished the final three books of the Uplift Series by David Brin. The cliffhanger ending I mentioned in that earlier post does get addressed, but not until book 3. Which is partly the trouble with this series of books. Brin desperately needed an editor to tell him to stick to telling the story rather than waste enormous numbers of pages describing alien landscapes and societal relationships. I can't recommend these books, and I won't be seeking out any further works from him.

Alastair Reynolds, on the hand, is probably my favourite author. He raised himself further in my eyes after On The Steel Breeze and Poseidon's Children.

They form a trilogy with Blue Remembered Earth, which got some mentions here some time ago. The story goes in some very unexpected directions, which in my view is a good thing. You probably need to start with the first one and read all three to properly enjoy them. But I firmly recommend these books to people who like this sort of science fiction.

I'm not sure what will come next. I'm due for another search of the Southern Gold Coast second hand bookshops, so I'll wait and see.
    Last edited by jimandr; 31st January 2019 at 03:54 PM.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default What is on the bedside table: Favourite books

I know a fair amount of guys on here personally through the wonderful Ozgolf weekends away, but I don’t know much about their personal lives like kids etc...
    But what I know is that if you have young boys in your family do yourself a favour and read this:

I suppose it sort of apply to girls too but it’s primarily aimed at young men.
    Well worth the read.
    Last edited by Captain Nemo; 28th February 2019 at 05:31 AM.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    I know a fair amount of guys on here personally through the wonderful Ozgolf weekends away, but I don’t know much about their personal lives like kids etc...
    But what I know is that if you have young boys in your family do yourself a favour and read this:

I suppose it sort of apply to girls too but it’s primarily aimed at young men.
    Well worth the read.
    Have read the original Manhood book Loz, which really resonated with me. I've also read both the Raising boys and Raising girls books, they were both great. Still have NFI how to raise girls though and I have 2 of them.

Will give this a run.

I've met Steve B before he is ripping bloke

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Just finished a book "Milkman".

A really verbose book, certainly not an easy read, but I persisted with it.

Not sure whether to recommend it, not really sure how to define it

Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

I have two boys (15 and 12), so I'll have a look at it, although it is going to be hard to improve on my father of the year status.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I have two boys (15 and 12), so I'll have a look at it, although it is going to be hard to improve on my father of the year status.
    Not to mention 2019 Vic Champs winner also!
    What a double.

It has been a good year, that's for sure.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Finally back into reading but slightly different. With the new job I have a 40 min commute each way and I have joined Audilble and the world of Audiobooks. In hte first couple of weeks I tried both Google and Auible before signing up. So far the following books have been listened to.
    • The Virgin Way: How to Listen, Learn, Laugh, and Lead - Richard Branson
    • Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action - Simon Sinek
    • The Barefoot Investor: The Only Money Guide You'll Ever Need - Scott Pape
    • Leaders Eat Last - Simon Sinek
    As the month has clicked over I am about to pick the next read in the deal, anyone else listen with Audible?
    Last edited by Grunt; 2nd April 2019 at 05:29 AM.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Finally back into reading but slightly different. With the new job I have a 40 min commute each way and I have joined Audilble and the world of Audiobooks. In hte first couple of weeks I tried both Google and Auible before signing up. So far the following books have been listened to.
    • Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action - Simon Sinek
    As the month has clicked over I am about to pick the next read in the deal, anyone else listen with Audible?
    Yeah Audible is good, I've got that and have used it before. Listening to Unf*ck Yourself at the moment which is good.

I'm also reading a book on the science of sleep.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    My wife has been bugging me to read Barefoot Investor for maybe 2 years.

Got the audiobook and finished it off in 2 nights

Had looked at Audible as a subscription but haven’t decided yet. Given I fly a lot, podcasts have been my staple- might try the trial for my travel over the next week.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Used it flying last week and was good.

Started 'endurance' this morning, all about Shackleton 's journey to Antarctica in 1915

Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I'll bump this thread in order to ask a question of my fellow readers who can only read books in genuine paper form. No e-books for me, I'm afraid. It just doesn't feel right.

Firstly, a few books to comment on.

The only good one has been A Quantum Murder, by Peter Hamilton. Like most Hamilton I have read, there is more good than bad, and I enjoyed it, but the ending was a bit weak and predictable. For Courty's benefit, I also read Salvation, the first volume of a new trilogy from Hamilton. I'll read the rest in due course, but it didn't really grab me, or fill me with anticipation for the rest.

I've also read Seeds of Earth, by Michael Cobley. It's a bit of a mix between Avatar and Star Wars, and is the first volume of a trilogy. It was pretty ordinary, really.

I also read Old Man's War, by John Scalzi. It is very much a Starship Troopers style tale, and I've got a feeling I must be missing something, because I didn't like it much at all. I might give the series another chance, as there must be a reason why the series is very popular, and is stretching past 6 volumes.

To my question. My normal sources of cheap/second hand books have completely dried up, so I ask this? Has anybody tried the on-line suppliers World of Books and/or Booktopia?

I am way too frugal to pay full price for a book, and I'm even a bit reluctant to wait for a sale and still pay $20 odd for a book I may or may not like. Are the on-line secondhand book suppliers reliable and quick to deliver after you order?
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I'm an ebook person now, and haven't bought second hand books since I was at university. You can definitely snap up some books cheaply if you have an ebook reader.

I'm currently reading George RR Martin's Fire & Blood, about the Targaryen history. Interesting, but a bit dry.

After my last post, I decided to start on Brett Week's five book Lightbringer series, which is due to be finished later this year, so I shouldn't have to wait long, if at all, to finish it off. I liked his Night Angel series, and I was waiting for this to be finished before giving it a go.
    I got three books in, before I got a bit sick of it. The characters are likeable enough, and there is a cool concept for magic (using the spectrum of light), but the story hasn't been that great, and I can't understand what the author is trying to explain sometimes.

Thread Information