Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Default Hobbies/Pursuits - Cost in comparison to Golf

In the course of a PM from another forum member, it came out that some one they know has a rather big $$$$ item piano.

Keeping in mind that each to their own, some points come to mind:
    • Golf, can be played indoors so to speak at driving range but usually requires a golf course.
    • Requires equipment of varying kinds for varying levels of skill along with to be able to play costs as well as maintenance costs like Club membership etc.
    • Unless a member of a private course is reliant on fitting in with others.
    • Even in a social sense, is bureaucratic top heavy.
    So in comparison to golf, what other hobbies versus costs are out there that you know of or pursue ?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

PC Gaming can be a costly hobby depending on how far you take it..

~ Keeping upto date with the latest technology can be costly in order to run the games at their best.
    ~ Member of an online gaming community with costs associated in running their own servers / forums etc.
    ~ New games coming out quite often.

I haven't been gaming much of late due to buying a house and not having a hardwired internet connection where my PC is and also lack of time.
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Member Trainee Pro

Fishin mate,

I am a lazy fishrman who goes every 3 months or so. Cheap for me. But mates of mine:

New gear depending on the fish they are chasing.
    Running a boat and maintenance.
    Skippers ticket, trailer rego and parking.
    Bait, lures etc.
    Maintenance in equipment.
    Clothing for the elements and then if you get in the water: Scuba gear, wetsuits etc.

Expensive if you ltake it to that level.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Motor sport...makes golf look very cheap!

Other hobby at the moment is cycling...probably on par cost wise with golf, but as it is a new hobby for me there are a lot more things I want to buy where as golf has sort of been covered off.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

My previous sport Sailing blows golf off the park. I sat down with my dad a few years ago and we did a rouhg calculation of what we both had spent in 10 years of elite competition. It was upwards of 100K and to be honest it was not enough. Sailing is a sport where the motto "Why settle for 2nd place when a few dollars more may buy you 1st"
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

guitars. got 4. A Gibson ,Epiphone and 2 Martins. and the amount I play makes it expensive.
    Pffft

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Drinking. Expensive.

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Drinking. Expensive.
    Hobbie or pursuit?

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Drinking. Expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Hobbie or pursuit?

Senior Member Major Winner

Bream Fishing in comps! bloody expensive.
    Boat for one.
    You like to carry 4-5 outfits (rod&reel) at any one time, each outfit will cost you in the region of $1000 if you get serious.
    Lures that you use are $20 a pop and you'll carry hundreds of them.

Fishing in comps is damn expensive.

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    Bream Fishing in comps! bloody expensive.
    Boat for one.
    You like to carry 4-5 outfits (rod&reel) at any one time, each outfit will cost you in the region of $1000 if you get serious.
    Lures that you use are $20 a pop and you'll carry hundreds of them.

Fishing in comps is damn expensive.
    Any prize money or is it all for the love of the game?

I say a guy win a comp using a chip as bait.

I only eat plankton though.

Drag racing.

Makes golf seem as cheap as playing marbles.

I used to be into triathlon etc after my footy career finished, proved rather costly when you take into account entry fees, equipment, clothing etc. Then when you are me, and are so prone to injury, it also racks up the costs with the physio too!

I quit back in 2005 and sold all my gear, including my bike. But after gaining so much weight and recent dabbbling in it again, I ave just gone and bought a pretty pricey bike, and am now starting to accumulate gear again - makes it even more expensive if you quit and then start again.

I think Tezza is proof that photography can be expensive when you really get into it..!
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Pistol shooting.
    Top quality gear is $3000-$3500 each
    $50 in ammo per competition.

Luckily my daughter who is the real talent gets her airfare and accommodation covered.

Not bad for a 13 year old.

Makes my golf look cheap. Clubs a grand, membership $520, comp fees $15, and $50 in grog afterwards.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post
    I used to be into triathlon etc after my footy career finished, proved rather costly when you take into account entry fees, equipment, clothing etc. Then when you are me, and are so prone to injury, it also racks up the costs with the physio too!

I quit back in 2005 and sold all my gear, including my bike. But after gaining so much weight and recent dabbbling in it again, I ave just gone and bought a pretty pricey bike, and am now starting to accumulate gear again - makes it even more expensive if you quit and then start again.

I think Tezza is proof that photography can be expensive when you really get into it..!
    Did the same Moe, but I kept the bike. I sold the wheels as they were the big ticket item at the time. Bike just has the standard heavy wheels on it now.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Campdrafting. I'm not involved directly, but I know plenty of competitors.

Horses normally start from $5000 & can get up quite high, most have between 3-4 to compete with.
    Gooseneck & Tow vehicle can range from $50,000 to $150,000 depending on size required. Some units I've seen.... $250k easy. Most are purpose built & serve no other purpose.
    Horse Feed, Shoes, Saddles, Fuel & Travel time....

I'll stick to golf thanks.
    Desert Golfer

Waterskiiing!

I used to ski & wakeboard a lot at Tinaroo. My mate had a ski boat ($35k 2nd hand) + fuel (heaps for a 350 Chev inboard) and associated running costs + skis/ wakeboards/ kneeboards/ tubes/ discs etc + ropes + wetsuits + gloves + ropes... you get the idea.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

That could be very expensive, if you're the one supplying the boat!
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Hang Gliding - Cheap aviation, you could get started with a licence and all kit for 5g then about $500 in memberships annually plus petrol to get to flying sites. Much like golf You can't buy the skills that allow you to soar for 3-4hrs and fly hundreds of km's cross country however.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    Hang Gliding - Cheap aviation, you could get started with a licence and all kit for 5g then about $500 in memberships annually plus petrol to get to flying sites. Much like golf You can't buy the skills that allow you to soar for 3-4hrs and fly hundreds of km's cross country however.
    But the real question is..... does hang gliding cause the occassional hilarious dummy spit?
    Naturally grippy

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Not as hilarious as Golf but it is pretty funny when some knob leaves his radio on and you can hear them grunting, cussing and talking them selves up in a thermal "C'Mon, yeh there it is... C'mon baby be good to me, oh yeh there it is, right there, up uuuuppp AW f^%k where has it gone..."

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    Drag racing.

Makes golf seem as cheap as playing marbles.
    How can you run in heels, bitch?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Running. Even shoes are optional for some.

OR you can take it more seriously and run in races (entry fees), get properly fitted shoes or orthotics, get a watch that has a heart rate monitor and GPS mapping functionality, a fuel belt, all the good clothes etc. It could easily get up there with the price of golf, but it won't for me.

Skydiving.

Just to get licensed you're up for a couple of grand. Then a rig will set you back about 3K (second hand) but it's constant safety checks etc which cost. And that's before you even jump.

When I finished jumping, it was about $25 a jump. Multiple that by 10 jumps for the weekend and things add up.

Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a parachute?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by poidda View Post
    Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a parachute?
    Just make some pants out of it!

Thread Information