Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Occupation

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Your Occupation

As the tile suggests, where do you work and what are your daily tasks.

As a year 11 student i dont have to make the decision yet but i have no idea what i want to do when i grow up so an insight into other Ozgolfer jobs would be great.

Another thing that you could share is how much time you get spare to play golf.

Thanks Zac

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Time to play golf: not enough.

Perhaps I should change to I.T.

TV Antenna and home theatre installations.

Part time beer guzzler.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Get paid by: Qld Government

Time to play golf: PLENTY!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Time off to play golf (pre wife and child): Nearly enough

Time off now to play golf: extremely limited

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

As a Commodity Marketing Advisor I sit in front of a screen making calls all day so I get constant access to forums, email, ebay etc. Sometimes it gets a bit hectic so these pursuits take a back seat but currently got plenty of time to eye off new purchases. Our office overlooks the 4th hole at Moree, the boss looks out his window at it all day but is not a keen golfer. I get plenty of practice before and after work but am not able to drop everything to take the afternoon off.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I'm a journalist.
    I sit in a bathtub full of goon all day snorting coke and making sh!t up.
    I have all the traits of a dog except loyalty.
    I exist purely to make politicians and paedophiles look better in the public eye.
    At least that's what I'm told...

Golf? Too much or not enough, depends who you ask...

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I'm a printer

Only got to play on weekends, and now with a 5 week old bubs I will be lukcy to get a game in over the next 6 months
    Handicaped

G10 9* / G10 17* / Idea Pro / MP-60/MP-32 / 588's / Rossie 2

www.jcgolf.com.au

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer for QANTAS, normally work shift work and get plenty of time for golf. Currently on secondment recruiting engineers working Tuesday - Friday. Will be finished in a little over a month probably.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Hours: 7:30 - 4:00 Mon to Friday (Unless something goes bang and then I can be there anyday for any amount of time)

Usually get to hit some balls in the afternoon and will get 9 or 18 in after work when daylight saving comes back. Plus a comp game on weekends.
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Do an arts degree, and get a casual job somewhere. I play a lot of golf, of course I'm never going to turn pro and my future career path is limited somewhat.
    So try to make sure your future partner does something high paying, its why I am going out with a medical student

Im a project manager for a construction company - definately not the right career path if you want to play golf.
    Im in the office by 7:30am and lucky to leave before 6pm. Out of the 5 days I spend a little bit of time out my current sites so thats the only good part (get away from the desk).
    Once or twice in a year when my projects are finished and im waiting for another one to kick off, I get descent free time where i leave early on weekdays or even get weekday games in as long as I can attend my phone.

Lawyer - principal of a small CBD firm

Hours are usually 7.45am - 6.20pm, 5 days.

Back into golf so that means driving range once per week night, at least a round every weekend. Good thing being self employed is ability to take time out during week if possible. Bad thing - all the crappy things are waiting for you!

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Well I have only just started my new job.

I work part-time in my local golf pro shop.
    I love it, I get paid to do the comp's etc, chat about golf all day, and try out all the new demo clubs.
    Life is Sweet.

Just don't ask me about any clubs or what they do!!!

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Assassin. Works pretty quiet at the moment but I expect things to pick up with some of the things the Qld government has been up to.

Plenty of time to play golf too.

I'm the Operations Manager for a large Australian Property Developer.

My daily routine varies greatly which is the best part of the job, but I also work 7am to 7pm most days just to get all the work done.

I answer to a variety of bosses, which keeps things interesting and work across a diverse range of market segments.

One day I might be pumping out a feasibility study on the purchase of a CBD building site, the next day I might be in country South Australia developing a marketing strategy to sell blocks of land to first home buyers on the outskirts of Adelaide, then I might try be doing deals to get capital investment in a large project or trying to secure tenants for a commercial or retail development.

The downside is that I'm involved in so many areas of the business I don't get the satsifaction of driving things from start to finish, I just seem to oversea alot of things. My staff used to call me the 'seagull manager' because I fly in, shit all over everything, and then fly out.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post
    My staff used to call me the 'seagull manager' because I fly in, shit all over everything, and then fly out.
    didn't they all get the sack? Who do you get to shit on now?

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Thanks for all the replies, I have been thinking about becoming a PE Teacher, this would give me plenty of time to play golf in the afternoons and i would be around sport which is something i enjoy.

However the sound of being paid by the government and having all the time in the world to play golf sounds rather good to me

I want to go to uni, hopefully at UQ and i am moving to toowong to live with my cousin after i finish school. The part im looking forward to most is the variety of golf courses, i cant wait to play some decent ones for a change.
    Last edited by zacdullard; 4th June 2009 at 08:06 PM.

Blog Entries

PE Teacher was my backup plan if the Job with QANTAS did not happen. I received the telegram saying I had the job the day before the HSC exams started. Was a relaxed couple of weeks for the exams for me.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I'm a "software engineer" working in e-Business integration. It's a solid industry, but like many, it's constantly under pressure to do more for less.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

What drew you towards becoming a PE teacher?

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    didn't they all get the sack? Who do you get to shit on now?
    Personally I didn't think I was shitting on anything

But only my direct reports were sacked (not all of them) most of the projects I'm involved in have staff working on them 100% of the time, whereas I devote only a little bit of time to each one - and hence those that don't like it when I devoted time to something and made decisions contrary to their opinion - believed I was taking a dump on their work. But in the end, despite them executing the work, I am the one responsible for the results and strategy so too bad, so sad! There has been occasion where I have agreed with them, we've both been wrong and I've copped a pasting from higher up the food chain, didn't see them so readily volunterring their opinion then
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zacdullard View Post
    What drew you towards becoming a PE teacher?
    I liked the idea of the training that would give me a degree that would later mean i could do more than just teaching. At school I was playing Rugby League and was Sailing so sport was right up there. I was also doing triathlons so it looked as if to be a PE teacher would be fun.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Bicycle courier and hospital wardsman, and studying/training to be a pilot. Time for golf, not real much...

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Lawnmowing/Landscape Contractor (Self employed).

Have a good mix of domestic and commercial clients that keep me very busy. Don't normally work more than 6-7 hrs per day so leaves plenty of time for golf if I want to but the obvious joys of running your own business also comes with the after hours stuff like quotes, emails, invoices etc...

Usually get out for at least 2 x 9 hole rounds per week, the odd hit at the range and the odd weekend game.

Thread Information