Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Default The State of Victoria and its people.

It seems that on this forum (and others) that Australians from the northern states, especially NSW and QLD, seem to have some issues with the people of/and or the State of Victoria.

I have never really understood why this is the case so please give me your HONEST thoughts in this thread about why NSW and QLD people have such a huge chip on their shoulder about Victoria(ns).

Please keep your posts to specific examples.

Jack.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The only gripe i have about you mexicans is that too many of you have realised that QLD is a much better state to live in
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

They are just following their federal tax dollars up there Jarro. Anything else before I close this thread?

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

What? Victorians are lovely people.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Nah, that's about it
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Blog Entries

Notice no one from NSW has posted. I find it offensive that you have attempted to group us Queenslanders with them.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

We are just jealous of your golf courses but not your weather.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

The fact that they think of Melbourne as the Paris of the Southern Hemisphere and Brisbane a glorified hick town, but for some reason are leaving in droves for the Promised Land - Queensland.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Interesting question Jack (and probably not a loaded one for a change).

*From personal experience, I could never work out why in Albury, one was forced to watch the Victorian news, just because the TV stations didn't wan't to upset the folk from Wangaratta. It had no relevence to Albury at all.

*If you do not like / follow AFL, then you are seriously out of place in Victoria. There is no escape from it. Good luck finding anything other than AFL on the back page of the Herald-Sun, even in Summer.

*The general passion about Melbourne by Melbournians really grates on me. It has it's good points (sandbelt, Quality stadiums, quality restaurants etc), but geez it is a dour, grey old joint. Suggest this in public, and it is like dissing Jesus in the Vatican.

*Victorians are just different. It's difficult to say exactly what it is, but it is just such a different culture in Victoria to that of the other states. Almost like being in another country at times.

*Inability to accept anything from outside Victoria. Especially in sport (insert whinging about Brad Hodge, Dean Jones & Darren Berry here).

*Highway patrol will book you for doing 112km/h in a 110km/h zone.
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Anything else before I close this thread?
    the fact that only a Victorian would think he had the power to close the thread ?

I don't hate Victoria, I'm sure most of you are very nice people. I just don't see the point in playing league there. The only reason they do so I believe is a tit for tat thing relating to AFL coming to Sydney and parts of QLD. David Gallops siege mentality, he's a wanker, maybe he should move to Victoria.

Not that all Victorians are wankers, are they jack

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    *Highway patrol will book you for doing 112km/h in a 110km/h zone.
    That's the worst thing about Victoria...

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Hume Fwy - 300kms of dual carriageway. Should be a 130km/h speed limit.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Notice no one from NSW has posted. I find it offensive that you have attempted to group us Queenslanders with them.
    In 10 minutes? We've got tons better things to do that trawl forums for trolls! Sightseeing, 21 codes of football, weather you want to leave the house before 10am.....

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    ......and Brisbane a glorified hick town....
    I may have been born in Victoria, but let me assure you that point of view isn't limited to our Mexican friends..
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    the fact that only a Victorian would think he had the power to close the thread ?
    I can close it.

Victorians are great, except my parents.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I guess I disagree with the sentiment of the OP. I like Victoria. If I was to uproot and move anywhere else in Australia, it would be to Melbourne. To me, Melbourne felt "relaxed" on the occasions I've been there. I lived in Sydney for a while and never got comfortable there. People just seemed really intense, angry and in a hurry. The shit public transport system didn't help things either.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Blog Entries

Victoria?
    Oh, that quaint little place on the other side of Canberra.

Simply the tall poppy syndrome, Jack.
    When governments and individuals start promoting and drawing attention to themselves, then there will be a backlash. (And it happens both ways.)
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Jack
    Melbourne and Victoria are nice places. I've spent considerable amounts of time in Melbourne and surrounds and travelled through a decent amount of the rest of Victoria. I can see the appeal, but you wouldn't get me living there.

For a starter the weather is horrible (for me, I'm sure others love it). Then there is the air of superiority (personal perception of myself, may have no validity of course) from the residents of Melbourne, which is only surpassed by the people of Adelaide in the Australian context, which I find irritating. And finally, Victoria has a huge amount of wierdo hillbillys, sure South Australia and North Queensland match it for this, but I'm not living in those places either..

Banned

May very well get to experience the Victorians first hand shortly. Never been down there so cant comment on what goes on down there but after we were all told yesterday our jobs are going down there and if we want to keep them we can move to Melbourne. Not sure what path we will take but the company is willing to pay expenses for moving and such so it might be a nice sea change. Am not looking forward to the weather though

Nothing against most Vics its just the ones who try and convert you into a GAYFL
    fan..... **** off **** not interested. Seriously its a stupid game and you can keep it
    to yourselves..
    I'm back.

On my way down tomorrow, bringing some rain with me.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Member Club Champion

I think it's just a matter of anyone being out of their comfort zone. I grew up in Melbourne and stayed there until I was 23 or so and then spent 4 years in QLD on the Sunny Coast and returned to Melbourne at the start of last year.

I absolutely loved the Sunny Coast and returned to Melb for work reasons, otherwise I would have stayed. I love my AFL and was horrified by the lack of coverage when I first arrived in QLD. But it opened my eyes to NRL and I've grown to quite like it. At the end of the day, everyone is going to have their own preferences and comforts and no matter where you go, trust me, you'll find plenty of weirdos!

Blog Entries

Even in Golf Forums!

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Blog Entries

They are just jealous aussie rules football developed in Victoria

Blog Entries

From a young age I was taught to hate Victorians. Plain and simple.

In reality, for some reason, West Australians have a major sporting rivalry against the Victorians (in our own minds). I grew up playing national level basketball and volleyball and without a doubt the state team we wanted to crush was Victoria. This was almost encouraged by our parents/coaches.

I have no idea why, but probably because of Aussie Rules.

I was quite devasted when I got to spend some time as an adult in Melbourne. I love the place, and apart from the weather, would gladly move there. Best city in Australia hands down, and one of the best cities in the world that I have visited.
    Naturally grippy

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    I was quite devasted when I got to spend some time as an adult in Melbourne. I love the place, and apart from the weather, would gladly move there. Best city in Australia hands down, and one of the best cities in the world that I have visited.
    Since moving to Sydney at the age of 4, I spent just about every summer in Melbourne (back and forth on a Greyhound), so it's really my spiritual home. I agree - given the chance I would move back. It is Australia's most cleverly organised city, with progressive infrastructure, and some real classic institutions, like the Victoria Markets.

It's a shame their signature river that cuts through the town looks like a shit flavoured milkshake.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Thread Information