Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Could be worse, could have you NSW wankers there.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info...op=161&pg=1643

Melbourne seems to have more of a Greek population than your estimate Bruce more than 600,000.
    I don't know where you got that figure, Ray. I find it hard to believe that 5% of Australia's population are Greeks. (Ray says 600k and Ray's link says Melbourne contains 47% of Australian greeks, therefore roughly 1.3 million Greeks if you are wondering were I came up with 5%)

All I know is that you can get a ripper souva on just about any block in Melbourne!

You are right 600,000 is the estimated Greek population nationally.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/greece/gr...try_brief.html
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

That I would believe. Which means Melbourne's Greek population would be in the 250K range.

Quote Originally Posted by just View Post
    That I would believe. Which means Melbourne's Greek population would be in the 250K range.
    Must go through lots of plates.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    Must go through lots of plates.
    Hah!

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

lots of wogs here but not all are Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    lots of wogs here but not all are Greek.
    I think the worst wog in Victoria at the moment is of the swine variety.

http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melb...ils.php?id=581
    Melbourne/Victoria was the first colony in Australia actually founded and settled by Australians.
    quote from above link
    "Today Melbourne is home to about 3.2 million people. For reasons now forgotten, it had a major attraction for Greeks and Italians as far back as the turn of the 20th Century. In people terms, it is the third largest Greek city in the world and the largest Italian city outside Italy. In common with Sydney, it has a large Chinese community dating from the 1850s gold rush. Melbourne has long been a bastion of the Jewish community in Australia. Though the mix is somewhat different to Sydney, authorities say the city's residents come from 110 to 140 different ethnic backgrounds."

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Isn't a Greek just a Turk trying to be Italian?

There's no way 1 in 12 of us is Greek. I guess it's how Greek you need to be to qualify to be part of this number? First generation? Second? Go back far enough and we could all claim a bit. The 2006 census had about 50k actually born in Greece and living in Melbourne. Where to the other 200k come from?

And as I look around at links there are so many rubbery figures to choose from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Australian will do as it uses the 2006 Census numbers.

365,147 persons declared having Greek ancestry for all of Australia.
    The Greek language is spoken at home by 252,222 Australian residents.
    47% of them?
    170k with Greek ancestry? Possibly 3rd if you don't break up Athens and Thessalonika.
    120K speaking Greek at home? Maybe 6th without breaking up the big 2.

But if we don't count Piraeus (suburb of Athens) should we also break out Oakleigh and Coburg?

The numbers don't make sense to have it 3rd.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    There's no way 1 in 12 of us is Greek. I guess it's how Greek you need to be to qualify to be part of this number? First generation? Second? Go back far enough and we could all claim a bit. The 2006 census had about 50k actually born in Greece and living in Melbourne. Where to the other 200k come from?

And as I look around at links there are so many rubbery figures to choose from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Australian will do as it uses the 2006 Census numbers.

365,147 persons declared having Greek ancestry for all of Australia.
    The Greek language is spoken at home by 252,222 Australian residents.
    47% of them?
    170k with Greek ancestry? Possibly 3rd if you don't break up Athens and Thessalonika.
    120K speaking Greek at home? Maybe 6th without breaking up the big 2.

But if we don't count Piraeus (suburb of Athens) should we also break out Oakleigh and Coburg?

The numbers don't make sense to have it 3rd.
    when i was a young fella we used to play spot the aussie on our down to the big smoke, along sydney rd.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Whats an Aussie?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

A drunk teenager drapped in a flag?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Sadly, shamefully, appallingly that is pretty close to the mark nowadays, Pete.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Would all that stuff be hard to work out nowadays here in Australia. With all the multiculturalism (is that a word) that came as a result of firstly the migration after WW2 and went on for years. There would be a hell of a lot of 2nd & 3rd generations of those people now cross breeding that results in lots of people with some form of foreign bloodline in them.

Take Tayla my daughter for example, both Rachelle and I are born here Aussies from parents that one of each was not born here. Rachelle to a Maltese father and Aussie Mother, myself Aussie Father and English Mother. So does that make Tayla a Maltese/English/Aussie?
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Grunt, I think it makes her a Maltengsie.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Aren't the Vics all racist towards Indians, or is that just 1 in 12 too ???

What are your feelings towards Melbourne, Jack? And what is it you love and dislike about the place?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    What are your feelings towards Melbourne, Jack? And what is it you love and dislike about the place?
    I've reported this obvious threadjack. Get back on topic, Scottt.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Jack,

Looks like a cracking day in Victoria today. I'm sure you will be comfortable sitting in front of the tv draped in your snuggie and sipping on some tea. Have a lovely day (indoors).

sms

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/state.shtml
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Yeah it's going to be a barmy 10 degrees here today time to crack out the stubbies, blue singlet and phongs

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

People,

It's a beautiful day down here in Melbourne. I've already been for my morning stroll down the park which was abuzz with people enjoying the crisp morning air. I'm fortunate to have a couple of jobs to do down the mornington peninsula today, after which I'll pop down to the beach for a relaxing stroll and take in the scenery. Winter is a wonderful time in Victoria; cool, mild and refreshing. No heat and humidity to be concerned about.

I might even finish off the day with a few choice clarets in front of the open fire whilst enjoying the delights that Foxtel has to offer.

You guys can keen your crappy hot weather and himidity. It's just not for me. And I wont even start on the quality of our golf, which is a no brainer of course.

Love, Jack.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    People,

It's a beautiful day down here in Melbourne. I've already been for my morning stroll down the park which was abuzz with people enjoying the crisp morning air. I'm fortunate to have a couple of jobs to do down the mornington peninsula today, after which I'll pop down to the beach for a relaxing stroll and take in the scenery. You guys can keen your crappy hot weather and himidity. It's just not for me. Love, Jack.
    Have just been down for a swim at North Steyne to escape the stifling Sydney humidity, water is around 19 degrees, very pleasant.

If going in for a dip down there in the great state of Victoria, the temperature is a little under 12 and there is a bad rip running at Cheviot Beach. Has caught punter or two out before.

Thread Information