Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    In reality, for some reason, West Australians have a major sporting rivalry against the Victorians (in our own minds).
    Didn't you sandgropers invent the State Of Origin concept as a result of the Mexicans nicking all your good GAYFL players ?
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I love the place, and apart from the weather, would gladly move there. Best city in Australia hands down, and one of the best cities in the world that I have visited.
    We've debated this endlessly on here before, but it is interesting how personal perception varies. I couldn't agree less with both statements, IMO Sydney far surpasses it. But personal tastes vary and its what makes the world go round.

Sydney sucks, Melbourne is nice (although so flat), Perth is just beautiful in my books.

Blog Entries

I should point out that as a born and bred West Australian I really hate Victoria.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan View Post
    Since moving to Sydney at the age of 4, I spent just about every summer in Melbourne (back and forth on a Greyhound), so it's really my spiritual home. I agree - given the chance I would move back. It is Australia's most cleverly organised city, with progressive infrastructure, and some real classic institutions, like the Victoria Markets.

It's a shame their signature river that cuts through the town looks like a shit flavoured milkshake.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    Didn't you sandgropers invent the State Of Origin concept as a result of the Mexicans nicking all your good GAYFL players ?
    Probably. Don't really care about footy, but it sounds like the kind of thing West Aussies would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by just View Post
    We've debated this endlessly on here before, but it is interesting how personal perception varies. I couldn't agree less with both statements, IMO Sydney far surpasses it. But personal tastes vary and its what makes the world go round.
    Exactly. Sydney sucks balls though. Biggest rat race and most soulless city I have ever seen. Perth is not that far behind it though
    Naturally grippy

It is Australia's most cleverly organised city,.
    I think you are overselling this. It's not hard to be cleverly organised when you are essentially on a flat bit of dirt with a creek running through it. Sydney, Brisbane and to a lesser extent Perth have greater landscape issues to deal with making orderly organisation more difficult. And Perth is far more progressive infrastructure(road/rail) wise than any other large city in Australia. With the exception of the tram network, Melbourne is as poor infra-structure wise as any other city in Australia. Kudos for the forethought in keeping the trams when so many other cities got rid of theirs, they are fantastic.

Exactly. Sydney sucks balls though. Biggest rat race and most soulless city I have ever seen.
    Complete rubbish. How much time have you spent in Sydney? I lived the better part of 10 years in the eastern suburbs, lower north shore and inner west. If you can't find the soul of Sydney then you aren't looking hard enough. Sure, if you live in Campbelltown it sucks, but you could say the same of any outer suburb in Australia.

Blog Entries

We will have to agree to disagree Just.

I am right though.
    Naturally grippy

Blog Entries

The Sydney swans are based in Sydney. Nough said

I find this discussion interesting. I don't hold a grudge against any particular state or its members. I have travelled throughout every state and territory of our great country and have always enjoyed the uniqueness each area has to offer.

You can go anywhere in Australia (or the world for that matter) and you will find many great people who you get along with as well as rednecks, elitists and wankers. To stereotype a group of people as numerous and diverse as the occupants of an entire state is plainly ridiculous.

I prefer to focus on the similarities we share rather than pick on any differences (which, more often than not, are a greater reflection of the observor than the observed). It is a basic pyschological trait that we embrace the familiar and are suspicious of the unfamiliar - I'd like to think that as a tolerant and modern nation we're better than that (dismounting my high horse...now).

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    *Victorians are just different. It's difficult to say exactly what it is, but it is just such a different culture in Victoria to that of the other states. Almost like being in another country at times.

Sounds like a great idea to me...why don't we all have a referendum on making it so...

Quote Originally Posted by oldmannoodles View Post
    I find this discussion interesting. I don't hold a grudge against any particular state or its members. I have travelled throughout every state and territory of our great country and have always enjoyed the uniqueness each area has to offer.

You can go anywhere in Australia (or the world for that matter) and you will find many great people who you get along with as well as rednecks, elitists and wankers. To stereotype a group of people as numerous and diverse as the occupants of an entire state is plainly ridiculous.

I prefer to focus on the similarities we share rather than pick on any differences (which, more often than not, are a greater reflection of the observor than the observed). It is a basic pyschological trait that we embrace the familiar and are suspicious of the unfamiliar - I'd like to think that as a tolerant and modern nation we're better than that (dismounting my high horse...now).
    Typical of you chardonnay sipping, latte quaffing, uppity Victorians!

I think you are overselling this. It's not hard to be cleverly organised when you are essentially on a flat bit of dirt with a creek running through it.
    You work with the landscape you are provided with.

Sydney, Brisbane and to a lesser extent Perth have greater landscape issues to deal with making orderly organisation more difficult.
    Agree 100%. Take Sydney for example. George St (and Parramatta rd) veers left, right, all over the shop, because when the city was growing it basically had to keep moving to miss farmland. As the city grew (and continues to), there has been a complete failure to plan. Melbourne's checkerboard design is boring, but seems to work ok.

A few examples;

The Chatswood to Parramatta rail venture is a joke. This should always have departed from St Leonards. As a result it thunders through some ridiculous underground tunnels, and completely misses hotspots like Lane Cove.

The Monorail was built as a show-piece. It's a white elephant. Pointless and expensive.

Light rail is hardly used, and plans for expansion is a case of too little, too late.

I've got no idea about Perth, I've only been there once (and about to visit once again) - but the negative feeling towards the population "back east" is amazing. I had fish one night... I couldn't get any chips, they were all on the shoulders of the inhabitants.

I would live in any of these 3 before Brisbane though
    Last edited by Fishman Dan; 4th June 2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

but the negative feeling towards the population "back east" is amazing. I had fish one night... I couldn't get any chips, they were all on the shoulders of the inhabitants.
    Thats because we remind them of how backward they are. How about trying weekend trading FFS!

Blog Entries

I've got no idea about Perth, I've only been there once (and about to visit once again) - but the negative feeling towards the population "back east" is amazing. I had fish one night... I couldn't get any chips, they were all on the shoulders of the inhabitants.
    Thats because we remind them of how backward they are. How about trying weekend trading FFS!
    Sad but true. Perth can be a difficult place to live at times. Like Henno said about Brisbane, Perth feels like a hick town sometimes.
    Naturally grippy

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Never been to Perth, but a fella I played golf with the other week told me a funny story.

He was visiting his daughter, with the bride in tow, and mother & daughter went for a walk at about 11.00am. He asked if they could return with some fish/chips for lunch.

A while later they came home empty handed. He asked what happened, and they told him that the fish/chip shop was "closed for lunch".
    Forum needs more banter.

Typical of you chardonnay sipping, latte quaffing, uppity Victorians!

Ha ha - I'm more of a red man myself but I was sipping on a latte while typing that! The coffee down here is generally good.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Victoria is the only state where you can get a good chicken parmigiana.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Victoria is the only state where you can get a good chicken parmigiana.
    This thread has now just sunk to the absurd.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

This thread has now just sunk to the absurd.
    Potato Cake >> Potato Scallop

Blog Entries

Seriously though as West Australian's you are brought up to hate Victoria. Sure we look down on all the other states as well, but Victoria we hate. Why is that?
    It can't just be them claiming all our good footy players??

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Isn't it funny how this thread is about 80% about the capital cities.

The speeding thing here is crap, can't argue with that.

AFL dominates the news too much, yep, agree there too, but same with NRL if you go north.

Weather in Melbourne is iffy at best, but up here we get pretty awesome weather most of the time.

Overall I don't see a massive issue between states, to me it has been more of a friendly rivalry, similar to what we as a nation share with the kiwis.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Brisbane is not as bad as it once was. Try living in Toowoomba.

Brisbane's transport issues are legion. I agree that Melbourne seems to have this right. Easy place to get around by car, tram etc. Nothing on a par with Japan though, the have totally awesome public transit systems (most are private too).

Sydney has one of the most beautiful settings for a city with the harbour. On a par with San Francisco etc. I just don't get on well with the Sydney vibe. Might be better now that I am older and more tolerant.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Isn't it funny how this thread is about 80% about the capital cities.
    Was going to post to the same effect.

Nothing at all wrong with Victoria - if you can avoid being in Melbourne. I'm sure there are plenty of NSW folks who feel the same about Sydney.

Was it Paul Kelly who sang "Every ****ing city is the same"?

I don't have a problem with people from any state. I love everybody, man.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Bloody hippy !

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Thread Information