Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Who needs a...NAME...brand

In my quest to fill the gap between my 3 wood and 3 iron and also have an alternative to the 2 iron,I have been sourcing a hybrid 2 or 3 after the old Cally 5wood I had resafted didn’t go that much higher than my 2 iron.

With the help of a Nudgee and 3oneday I had a few leads on Rescue Mid’s and A Cally Heavenwood on 3onedays advice.

I really didn’t want to wait for one to come across from the US,so while doing a quote on the north side I dropped into HOG.Of course no RM in LH and at a touch under $300 I turned away from them to see the Nickent Hybrids on a stand and a bag full of lefties.

Now normally I would have p$ssed on one if any of you had said give em ago, but then I remembered one of the guys I play with at Windaroo (and he plays off 4) has a #2 and has hit it great every time I have seen him use it.

He doesn’t carry a 3 wood and I have seen him hit it as far as my 3wood a couple of times.

So I thought what the heck, asked the guy how much, and got him down to $180 from $199.
    OK that’ll do I thought and decided on a #2 @17 degrees, stiff graphite shaft.

Hit a bucket of balls at the range last night and it seemed to fit in between the 3wood and 3iron like I wanted.

Played Caboolture with Jarro and Damo today and got to hit it twice. First time was off the tee on a short par 4 and didn’t hit it real good but it went straight and still went about 180m, so I thought not too bad considering.

The next was on a par 5 for my second, around 230ish out we figured and down wind a bit. I was going to hit 3wood and thought no I’ll give the hybrid ago.

Well holy crap, I pulled it a bit and ended up past the green and only about 20m away from a water hazard. Very glad I didn’t hit the 3wood the way I was hitting it today.

I was very happy with the ball flight and how high it went. I think after 2 hits on course and a half a bucket of balls this club seems to be doing what I want from it. Now to see if it will do what I am hoping it will do around Windaroo.

So who needs to spend a heap of money on one of the big names, this K-Mart special looks like it is going to fill the gap I was hoping it would.

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

goughy

Well done tez. Another vote for the use what works crowd. Hope she keeps kicking butt for ya.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Terry. I hit my 14 degree hybrid further than any 3w i have ever hit.
    (well matter of fact i can hit a 6 iron further than a 3w)

off the tee i consistently hit this club over 200+ and becuase its always a low draw i get a lot of run. Its not unusual to hit 250 or so with this baby - and i cant hardly hit a driver further than that regardless of conditions.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Tezza, those Nickents are a rock solid club. You got a good deal on it as they are going in the States for about $USD 75 with a steel shaft. Factor in shipping and the exchange rate and you've done pretty well.

The stock graphite shaft is pretty good, I think it's made by UST. I was trying to get one from the States, but no-one in the Swap Shops were giving theirs up.

Congrats on finding a club that fits you. It's always a confidence booster.
    Srixon ZX5 9.5* Hazrdus Smoke Black 60s/ Baldo 8c Craft 9* Rogue 110msi Silver 60s
    Tour Edge Exotics 15* - Motore 70s
    Mizuno JPX HM 4 iron, bent to 19*
    Srixon ZX5 4 - 6, ZX785 7 - PW KBS Tour stiff
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #7

Senior Member Major Winner

I've heard good things about Nickent hybrids, but generally crap about Nickent clubs. Go figure.

I still fancy a MaxFli EzyDrive would be my entry into the hybrid state of affairs, > $100 and heard some success stories.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Terry - I've been using the Nickent hybrid nos 3 & 5 for a while now (as my long irons are not that great ) and am very happy with them - they are a very versatile club. I was originally going to get TM but at half the price they weren't twice as good.

Caz has a full set of Nickent irons which haven't hurt her game - also has 3, 5 and 7 wood which are awesome but the driver sucks so she is going through the process with her teacher for a new one - Fusion looks like the winner at the moment.

The guy that set up Nickent was the head designer at Callaway so he should have a few clues.

There is also the Synchron Synergy 3 and 4 that Ben sells. I had the 3 in my bag for quite a while, it took a few changes to force it out, but it's still in the closet ready.

These are only around $50 or $60 with a steel shaft.

Pete

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan
    I still fancy a MaxFli EzyDrive would be my entry into the hybrid state of affairs, > $100 and heard some success stories.
    You mean < $100, right?

I'm not having any problems with my 22°. I've been using it a bit off the tee recently, as I am having some troubles with the 3 wood. It gets it up nice and high, and I seem to be hitting a nice draw with it most of the time.

Certainly not a name brand, but it is getting the job done.

A-Lo is selling his 19° Ezydrive at the moment. Wanna buy it?

.. ask Damoocow what he thinks of the EzyDrive
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    .. ask Damoocow what he thinks of the EzyDrive
    But can he play any other hybrid?
    Nope, he's a 7 wood man.

not sure how popl nickent is in aus...but it's doing pretty well in asia...esp with those who can't afford tm, ping, titleist etcetc....
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Ezi-drive posted off yesterday to ebay buyer - made a loss but happy to be rid of it - hiitting the 7 wood like a treat and vowed off hybrids - until I saw Tezza's Nickent - he only hit it twice but it was worth the price of admission - only $180 - no stop it damo - stop right now.

damoocow

the thing i noticed most about the Nickent hybrids was how heavy they were ... heaps heavier than the TaylorMade rescue mids.
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    A-Lo is selling his 19° Ezydrive at the moment. Wanna buy it?
    Has he played it off the deck??
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

nickent is the #1 utility used on the nationwide tour. these guys don't get the sponsorship $$$ so they have to play what works.

Thread Information