Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine drinkers

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BrentonJ View Post
    Yea the cover drive shouldn't be too bad id a nice drop for the price point. Do you like Tempranillo?

What was the other one you got?
    I may have only tasted it at a cellar door... rings a bell from the Marg River.

Got an Elderton2008 Cab for $13 on special...

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Jake,

Do you work in the industry you seem to know a lot about "old world wines"?
    Titleist 910D3 10.3 Motore F3 60s
    Titleist 910F 15 Fubuki Tour 73s
    Titleist 910H 19 Motore F3 Hybrid
    Mizuno MP62 4 – PW Project X 5.5
    Titleist 200 50*
    Titleist SM 56* 60*
    "Titleist Special" Custom Raw Scotty Cameron Cali Del Mar

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Nah, but when I was a young(er) bloke I loved wine. Still do, but don't have the wallet for it. It's addictive, it's captivating, consuming; like golf in many ways. The first time you taste that "blow your hair back" wine is just like the first time you really pure a drive...a great wine grabs your senses and charges, keeps going and going, and just when you think it's about to drop off, it holds in the air, lingering...magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Nah, but when I was a young(er) bloke I loved wine. Still do, but don't have the wallet for it. It's addictive, it's captivating, consuming; like golf in many ways. The first time you taste that "blow your hair back" wine is just like the first time you really pure a drive...a great wine grabs your senses and charges, keeps going and going, and just when you think it's about to drop off, it holds in the air, lingering...magic.
    Ain't that the truth !

Virge, how was the cover drive?

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

The Jim Barry to get is the 05 McRae Wood as it has the Armagh grapes in it
    Titleist 910D3 10.3 Motore F3 60s
    Titleist 910F 15 Fubuki Tour 73s
    Titleist 910H 19 Motore F3 Hybrid
    Mizuno MP62 4 – PW Project X 5.5
    Titleist 200 50*
    Titleist SM 56* 60*
    "Titleist Special" Custom Raw Scotty Cameron Cali Del Mar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Virge, how was the cover drive?
    Honestly - I opened it and didn't let it breath a bit. Both the Missus and I sort of looked at each other and with a resounding "Meh".

We left the wine out while we finished off the kids and got them into bed... we then had a lamb casserole of some kind and Jesus must have come down and turned the vinegar into wine.

Some strong spice and fruit for happy drinking all round. There is a 1/4 of the bottle left for tonight as we thought we would see what happens after 24 hours. Bargain for $13.95 - just an absolute bargain, funky label too.

I was the same with the Cover Drive Virge, a decent swirl and 10 minutes in the glass does wonders for it, as with all good cabernets, especially when young. Great drink for $14.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I was the same with the Cover Drive Virge, a decent swirl and 10 minutes in the glass does wonders for it, as with all good cabernets, especially when young. Great drink for $14.
    Do they last a day in the opened bottle though? In QLD i find the room temperature must be too high or something, because the following day they're nearly always ordinary.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

This thing is great for when you don't want to commit to decanting a whole bottle:

Quote Originally Posted by kpac View Post
    Do they last a day in the opened bottle though? In QLD i find the room temperature must be too high or something, because the following day they're nearly always ordinary.
    The new screw tops are pretty handy, but I put the half-bottle back in the wine fridge. Otherwise you're right, the heat in the day turns them to piss.

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    This thing is great for when you don't want to commit to decanting a whole bottle:
    except you look like a right knob putting everyones glass under one of those things. I got given one to put on the end of the bottle, and it worked ok, but actually 'airated the wine' quite a bit. I'm no guru, but i would have thought that this much air would have been a little extreme...? I stick to pouring 1/2 bottle into carafe if i'm only going to drink 1/2 the bottle. Seems easy enough, and avoids another gadget in the kitchen!
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

except you look like a right knob putting everyones glass under one of those things. I got given one to put on the end of the bottle, and it worked ok, but actually 'airated the wine' quite a bit. I'm no guru, but i would have thought that this much air would have been a little extreme...? I stick to pouring 1/2 bottle into carafe if i'm only going to drink 1/2 the bottle. Seems easy enough, and avoids another gadget in the kitchen!
    If there is more than one person around then there is no need to use it as you can decant a whole bottle anyway. I'm moreso talking about glass-by-glass when you're on your own, which I am often.

I pass no judgement on either account mate.

I'm also a big fan of stemless wine glasses. Any love?
    Golflink

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

If there is more than one person around then there is no need to use it as you can decant a whole bottle anyway. I'm moreso talking about glass-by-glass when you're on your own, which I am often.

Cyber-hugs henno...?

Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    Cyber-hugs henno...?
    There's a big difference between being alone and being lonely. I am not the latter.

Plenty of love over here. Big fan myself.

There's a big difference between being alone and being lonely. I am not the latter.
    I am getting sick of gettin' jilted all the time!

henno, you should come over here and be a WAnker, you'll fit right in.

I was the same with the Cover Drive Virge, a decent swirl and 10 minutes in the glass does wonders for it, as with all good Cabernet's, especially when young. Great drink for $14.
    Cheers mate, it is good finding a decent drop for under $15

8-12 degrees in Sydney at present.. frigging awful

Shit yeah - MASSIVE fan. The amount of broken stems from piss heads at my place !!! Ikea do them for like $3 each too.

Also HATE the large bulbous red wine glasses. I know that they are meant to be good for tasting and smelling and all that - but a total wank IMHO.

Let the wine breathe and use a smaller glass.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

This cool weather up here is bringing out the reds.

A lovely bottle of 2008 Shottesbrooke McLaren Vale Shiraz. Beautiful and soft.
    And the mayor announced from Thursday on should not be shat into the creek anymore, because on Saturday beer is brewed.

Henno, Dan Murphys have the 2009 Wynns Shiraz on special at the moment for $9.35 a bottle by the half dozen. It is a solid drink at the price, but stocks are low. Jump in.
    I really wish I'd bought more of these. They are straight up to fifteen bucks a throw, now.

I'm yet to drink a pinot I've really enjoyed, and some of them have been expensive bottles (on the company credit card of course).
    You poor bugger - obviously just doesn't agree with your pallet. I find that a good pinot is not easy to find but when you do its just magic. I have found Stonier's Reserve (04) and Pipers Brook Estate & Reserve to be excellent - particularly when my lovely wife makes a delightlful duck dinner and you have great company to go with it.
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    This cool weather up here is bringing out the reds.

A lovely bottle of 2008 Shottesbrooke McLaren Vale Shiraz. Beautiful and soft.
    Must see what I have in these. Pretty sure I have a few 4 Shottesbrooke's. Haven't had one for a while. They were a bargain when I bought them too.

I really wish I'd bought more of these. They are straight up to fifteen bucks a throw, now.

They shoud stablize back to @ $12 I'd reckon. Its their production label and they make buckets loads of it.
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Jack,

My wife loves you... the phrase was "How ****ing much was it" ? "You need to go and buy some more.... NOW !"

Lid back on and left overnight... the spice settles, the fruit comes through and it is a great drop. Bit too much tannin for mine - but the missus likes merlot - so she is use to having no saliva left in her mouth after drinking wine.

Cracking pick - many thanks again.

Elderton 2008 cab tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Jack,

My wife loves you... the phrase was "How ****ing much was it" ? "You need to go and buy some more.... NOW !"

Lid back on and left overnight... the spice settles, the fruit comes through and it is a great drop. Bit too much tannin for mine - but the missus likes merlot - so she is used to having no saliva left in her mouth after...

Cracking pick - many thanks again.

Elderton 2008 cab tonight.

What can anyone say...?

The Elderton is quite good Virge.

I opened an '02 Cape Mentelle Zinfandel last night...WHOA. A meal in a bottle. Simply 'THE BEST' Zin made in Oz, IMO. Will drink the glass and a half I have left tonight (hopefully it will have settled down a bit...but methinks NOT)

Thread Information