Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default callaway vs taylormade

hey guys

hi guys my name corey i am left hander who has been playing for around 2 years i shoot mid to low 90's i curently have a set of steel shaft wilson prostaff there great but i need a little bit more if i want to contend with the big boys i am looking to update but i am stuck on weither callaway or taylormade is better i want clubs that have forgiveness but also gives me length if there is anyone that can help me with my delima or have any tips on choosing any info would be grateful

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

For mine, it's a Nil-all draw. I haven't particularly liked any of the gear from either brand over the last few years (besides a TM R7 TP Driver I tried out once - that was gold). At your level of handicap I think there are probably a number of brands you should try rather than narrowing it to one or two brands. Go to a few stores and hit some balls - but when you buy get fitted!
    WITB (27/12/2022):Titleist TSR3 10 (Tour AD-DI 7S), Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Tour AD-95R), Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi (Project X U R), Titleist T300 4-P (DG AMT R), TItleist SM8 50.12, 54.8, 58.8 (DG), Scotty Cameron Monoblok 6.5 (35”, LA Golf Soho)

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Callaway certainly have the most iron sets aimed at HIGH handicaps, but I agree with AlexMc here. Try before you buy. You can certainly get better value for money clubs than buying a new set of TM or Cally clubs.
    Naturally grippy

He does have the sounds of a potential club ho though! We understand completely Corey - just don't narrow the search too quickly straight off the bat...before you know it you'll have multiple sets!
    WITB (27/12/2022):Titleist TSR3 10 (Tour AD-DI 7S), Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Tour AD-95R), Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi (Project X U R), Titleist T300 4-P (DG AMT R), TItleist SM8 50.12, 54.8, 58.8 (DG), Scotty Cameron Monoblok 6.5 (35”, LA Golf Soho)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Go for the one you like best. I think the new TM 09 Burners would be perfect for you!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Much of the same. I have Callaway and have had Taylormade in the past. Depending on the models, they forgiveness factor is quite high. Even as a 22HC, I've always been partial to blade type clubs and see them as the 'most game improvement" type to get. Depends on what you want to do with your golf.

In terms of drivers, they are like putters but are changed more frequently. Go with what you think you hit the best as confidence in the club is quite important for its usability.
    Last edited by idgolfguy; 15th April 2009 at 07:31 PM.
    "I dont want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Well I may be biased butsmilie_tm.gif!!!!
    I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by dc68 View Post
    Well I may be biased but !!!!
    Um, ya think?

WITB.

TM r7 TP Shallow (TMTBTPWB X-Flex in transit)
    TM r7 15*
    TM Rescue Mid
    TM CB Miura 3-PW
    TM RAC TP Black 52,56 and 60
    Gauge Design G-Field.

I'm back.

Banned

Currently have Taylor Mades in the bag but used to use Callaways. Both as good as each other but as said dont limit yourself to just these two brands. Go to a few demo nights you may find something else that suits you even better.

WITB.

TM r7 TP Shallow (TMTBTPWB X-Flex in transit)
    TM r7 15*
    TM Rescue Mid
    TM CB Miura 3-PW
    TM RAC TP Black 52,56 and 60
    Gauge Design G-Field.
    I'd get rid of that G-Field if I was you mate... out of interest what colour and model is it?
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Quote Originally Posted by cozza View Post
    hey guys

hi guys my name corey i am left hander who has been playing for around 2 years i shoot mid to low 90's i curently have a set of steel shaft wilson prostaff there great but i need a little bit more if i want to contend with the big boys i am looking to update but i am stuck on weither callaway or taylormade is better i want clubs that have forgiveness but also gives me length if there is anyone that can help me with my delima or have any tips on choosing any info would be grateful
    go to a demo day and try for yourself

cheers guys for the feed back i have gone and tried the clubs out and those are the two i liked sorry should of mentioned that unfortunatly where ever i go to doesn't have a wide range of lefty clubs my fault for changing from a right hander but any way hopefuly i can choose a club that suits me

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

When I met DC he had Hogans and wouldn't touch that TM Crap. It is great to be an enabler

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

cossa...why just these two...if you were buying a car would you only limit your choice to Ford and Toyota; tv - panasonic and sony?
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post
    I'd get rid of that G-Field if I was you mate... out of interest what colour and model is it?

Nah I like it.

Green,Premium Zone #0 I think.

People named Peter are evil and make you buy too many clubs.
    I'm back.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Before you buy locally look at some the online stores in the USA. I have bought my clubs ( as do a lot of the guys here) at a much cheaper rate - even with the exchange rate and shipping.
    Also being a leftie there will be more available to you. I use a senior flex and I find it hard to get bargains here but no problems in the States.
    Edwin Watts is worth a visit.
    I have just bought a set of Taylormade Burners - 4 - SW for $200 less than the "specials" here in Oz. Hopefully they will be here early next week.

Have fun.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

What's a young chick like you doing using Senior Flex?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by dc68 View Post
    Nah I like it.

Green,Premium Zone #0 I think.
    I'm sure you do, I have the Blue Premium Zone #0 (I think) coutersey of BrisVegas.. awesome putter, just want one in red as well to match my shoes
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

It is my understanding that TaylorMade & Callaway clubs sold through retail outlets in Australia are assembled in Australia by the local Distributor or through contract. In the late 90's I had a really bad experience with TM over a new set...the specs were all wrong and three heads came loose. I later found out that the TM clubs were being assembled by a back yard contractor for low $'s per club. Nuff said. It wasn't long after that TM made major changes to its operations in Oz.
    After that experience I have serious reservations about buying major brand clubs assembled in Australia. If I can't get factory assembled clubs, I will opt for superseded models and get a good clubfitter to tweak them.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by cozza View Post
    but i am stuck on weither callaway or taylormade is better i want clubs that have forgiveness but also gives me length
    Callaway clubs are far superior to Taylormade if you are looking for clubs that are easier (thus more enjoyable) to hit.

You may notice that Callaways have shorter hosels and longer face lengths - thats the concept that works. Ping also do the same thing, and they are the greatest selling club of all time, if you ever wondered why, now you know.

Dont worry about the distance, any irons that do go further are cheating on the loft and length of shaft, nothing superior at all.

If you need an iron to go further, you can hit an extra club.

p.s. I wouldnt touch either with a 40ft pole, but if you must, buy 2nd hand and then get a good clubmaker to fix them, What Razaar said, the big names have terrible quality control.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 16th April 2009 at 09:38 AM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information