Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Clubs

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Default New Clubs

hi guys,

I am 23, i have been playing golf for the last 10 or so years, most of that time was hit and giggle stuff, maybe playing 5 rounds a year, recently however, i have been playing more often and more seriously. I have recently been shooting in the low to mid 90's including a few 4 overs, i do get frustrated on a hole if a shot doesn't come off, then i seem to not care about that hole anymore, though it does not seem to affect the rest of my game. My driving is a little wayward and this can affect me when i stand on every tee box there after.

I have never owned my own clubs and have always been borrowing, initially dads Dunlop maxfli blades from before i was born, then more recently my uncles clubs, a set apparently built by Ross Calder (Alpha Eclipse).

So thats me, I would like to get my own clubs, also i have been made recently redundant so i have a lot more time on my hands, and have recently been playing golf weekly.

I am generally very sensible with my money so i don't spend much on frivolous items, but a set of clubs is something i have been wanting for about 18 months, and with a free $900 coming my way (well not quite free, more like a low interest loan) i have decided to get myself a set.

I am considering custom fit clubs from Garry Calder at GCI (The brother of Ross who built my uncles clubs), but when i look around at peoples signatures or when i read threads about what people have in the bag, they all seem to have OEMs.

What is peoples opinions, OEMs? if so fit by whom or custom built components.
    Budget ~$1500 initially before upgraditis which hopefully wont set in.

Thanks
    vovo

You won't get better than a set of Wishons fitted by Gary.

That's what I would be looking at if I had the coin.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by vovo View Post
    I am considering custom fit clubs from Garry Calder at GCI (The brother of Ross who built my uncles clubs), but when i look around at peoples signatures or when i read threads about what people have in the bag, they all seem to have OEMs.
    Everyone here knows that Gary (and Ross) are amongst the best at what they do, and that $500 is better spent on lessons than a new driver.

Yet marketing still sucks them in.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

So we agree that GCI custom fitted golf clubs are the way to go for function over bling.

I reckon thats my plan of attack at the moment, then get some lessons (with Garry) as soon as i am confident of getting a regular game.

The only thing holding me back from lessons is that most of my mates don't play golf or play very seldom, so my golf has periods where i play heaps, then nothing for 6 months.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

When I got my clubs off Gary the deal was that they were guaranteed for 12 months to 'work' for you. Gary upheld the guarantee by giving you free lessons for the year (obviously if they dont work thats what you really need). He never placed any limitation on the number of lessons you would get but it was within reason.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I'm sure that Gary wouldn't be adverse to you having OEM clubs, as long as you had the right clubhead designs and shafts. He can always alter them to fit your specs later, at a cost.

Member Club Pro

The simple solution would be to take the Alpha's to Gaz at GCI and so long as the current flex is close to what you actually need it's a simple job to get 'em adjusted to your specs.
    Deano

The current clubs belong to my uncle, and whilst he does not play too much, they are still his.

I am quite keen on getting my own anyways (a bit of retail therapy, and doing my bit for the economy), will have a chat to Garry in the near future and see what is recommended.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

If you have an issue with having people to play with, why not halve the $$$ you're planning to spend on clubs, buy some secondhand OEMs that can be bent to your specs and invest the rest in joining a club, so you have people to play with whenever you like?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

and if worse comes to worse play all alone
    Pffft

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    If you have an issue with having people to play with, why not halve the $$$ you're planning to spend on clubs, buy some secondhand OEMs that can be bent to your specs and invest the rest in joining a club, so you have people to play with whenever you like?
    When i have work there is often the possibility that i might have to move around or more likely will be put on a FIFO roster which makes joining a club a poor investment, probably a good idea once i get a little older, have a family and settle down. Also i play other sports, Rugby (very seriously), cricket (warehouse grade so competitive social) and cycling, and i am also partial to a few games of squash and tennis when the offer is extended.

I can't see myself playing alone, golf is a social sport for me.

As for clubs, i want something nice that fits me and will last a long time, i am not a "ho" and as such will not be upgrading to the seasons latest and greatest every 12 months. These clubs are being bought with the intention of lasting a decade or so.

Cheers Guys
    vovo

Buy some pings. They already look like crap, and a decade later they usually look no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongueboy View Post
    and if worse comes to worse play all alone
    yes! i agree! golf is fun even if you're alone playing..
    Last edited by punchtheballout; 9th March 2009 at 01:21 AM.
    Golf is like a love affair. If you don't take it seriously, it's no fun; if you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart. ~Arthur Daley

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Join a social club.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Go for the custom fit set from Garry Calder at GCI and join a social golf club (local RSL or the like - lots of fun!)

Thread Information