Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default kwantfm's swing 2 (one week later)

March 1 swing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeZGpl6WMT8

February 22 swing for comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm18X8eSPjs

Biggest difference I can see is the downswing plane is much shallower in the later swing (see attached jpegs). I still stand up.

T
    Attached Images

Senior Member Major Winner

Wow . . . Stewart Cink. nice move through the ball.

A bit more lag wouldn't hurt.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Looking good, K.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Be even better on the golf course

When hell freezes over

Mate

Looking at the stills, your body is practically facing the ball while your hands are at waist height; your back should be 3/4 still turned to the target. Your hands started out under your shoulders, look where they are in the frame. Your hands are also on a plane, and should approach their address position from inside not outside with the clubhead lagging behind. There is no shortcut back to the ball; the cluhead still has to go the full way around which is down and then out as the wrists unhinge. The club head's apprach should be from the inside (to be on plane) on a shallow path (almost horizontal) which directs the force forwards not downwards. If the shoulders open too early the clubhead and hands are outside the plane and contact is made towards the outside of the ball.

All right handed golfers are fighting a right shoulder that wants to get into the act too soon. Unfortunately the right shoulder is in the strongest position at the top of the swing and has the least distance to travel to get back to the address position. Here are a few thoughts for the transition to through swing which may help.

Swing the arms down and away from the right shoulder (right shoulder stays still).

Move on to the front foot and pull down with the arms (in unison), keeping the back to the target or chest away from target.

Tilt the left shoulder upwards away from face to start the downswing. A tilt delays the shoulders from opening.

Keep the back to the target and swing under the left shoulder.

Which ever method gets your fancy, be sure to hit through the ball from 7.00 to 1.00 o'clock.

The only difference I can see in the videos is you have a straight left wrist in the first and an open left wrist (flexed) position in the second.
    Last edited by razaar; 2nd March 2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Next phase...

razaar, see any differences?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00mBwU9hAn8

Push seems to be the big miss with this version!

Like to see it front on...

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Like to see it front on...
    Difficult to do at SOP driving range due to the dividers between mats. I only really get to go to the range late at night (after kids are asleep) so SOP tends to be the only option.

What would you be looking for from the front on view?

What do you think of the changes thus far from the down the line view?

Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    What would you be looking for from the front on view?

What do you think of the changes thus far from the down the line view?
    Just find a free bay in front of you and get a few swings. i will be looking at hip levels and the direction of your turn on the backswing.

You look pretty good from behind - but you down swing looks a little forced and low. I also want to see you hands at impact.

Next phase...

razaar, see any differences?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00mBwU9hAn8

Push seems to be the big miss with this version!
    Only because you aren't squaring up the clubface through the ball. Think of getting the left hand facing skywards at shoulder height of the follow through. The position that Jim Hardy is in is what you should be aiming at.
    It will take time. Your transition looks better; it would help if your arm back swing was shorter and more under your control. As it is it controls you.

http://www.planetruthforgolfers.com/
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    As it is it controls you.
    If only it were just my backswing...

If only it were just my backswing...
    Isee .

Work backwards from that throughswing position to your address position and feel what your arms have to do in reverse to get there. I am a fan of feeling your hitting position at address before you take the club back. That way you are always looking through the windscreen and not the rear window.

One more sequence I should add:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSnhCNF5_2Y

Here I was trying not to take the club so far to the inside on the backswing.

Looking at the stills, your body is practically facing the ball while your hands are at waist height; your back should be 3/4 still turned to the target. Your hands started out under your shoulders, look where they are in the frame. .
    What if he is releasing with the upper body instead of the hands rotating ?

What if releases his hands under and not over . . . more Darren Clarke instead of David Toms...

I reckon it looks OK. but I am sure there is a nice little slide back on the backswing. and a bit of a reverse pivot becasue of the way his head has to look back at the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    but I am sure there is a nice little slide back on the backswing. and a bit of a reverse pivot becasue of the way his head has to look back at the ball.
    I'll try to get a front view sometime this week.

Looking at the video I get the feeling that your left knee and left shoulder move back together. This doesn't give you a firm base to coil against and leaves you open to compromising your spine and hip angles that have been set up at address. The ideal is for the turn to be in a tightly wound position where there is resistance in the body right the way from the left foot upwards. IMO there has to be a diagonal push down and out in the left foot (ball of the foot pushed into the ground, even if the left heel doesn't lift) at the top of the backswing with the body coiled over or behind the ball. The left leg resists all through the backswing setting up the coil. Your swing to me is inefficient because it is too loose with too many potential power leaks. Does this make any sense to you? Look at Pamps swing or the right sided swing that Virge has posted to see a coiled swing. Don't expect to be comfortable in learning a coiled swing, it can be hard work but rewarding once it becomes habit.

Thanks for all the comments thus far in this thread... I'm really finding all of them very helpful.

Only because you aren't squaring up the clubface through the ball. Think of getting the left hand facing skywards at shoulder height of the follow through. The position that Jim Hardy is in is what you should be aiming at.
    It will take time. Your transition looks better; it would help if your arm back swing was shorter and more under your control. As it is it controls you.

http://www.planetruthforgolfers.com/
    I've been thinking about this position for a while and it involves a lot more forearm rotation than I currently use (I don't rotate much at all). Is forearm rotation different from the dreaded flip? Doesn't forearm rotation require good timing to use?

The flip you refer to are the wrists breaking down just before or at contact. The right wrist straightens and the left flexes. The correct method is for the right wrist to have some flex to keep the clubface square to the target; the right hand grip should have the palm square to the clubface at address. With this grip the clubface points whereever the right palm points, so the right hand controls the club face. Another reason for the name 'right sided swing'. Most pros draw the ball by wiping the clubface from inside to out across the ball. The clubface is held square to the target with firm wrists and it is the inside to out path that puts right to left spin on the ball. The ball should start out slightly right of target and draw back in with about one to two metres of draw. This shot is referred to as a straight draw and is the safe way of drawing the ball. The other way is to rotate the forearms throught the ball thereby closing the face. The timing has to be exact with this method because he face is closing quite rapidly and can easily turn into a real hook. Practice the straight draw method would be my advice.
    Last edited by razaar; 5th March 2009 at 08:43 PM.

Front view as requested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kK9SklkagU

I've got some comparison stills from before (22nd Feb) and after (6th March).
    Attached Images

Second set.
    Attached Images

My impression is that things are taking a turn for the better. Holding the recoil of the shoulders until later gives me the feeling of having lots more room in the downswing. For the first time in memory I was able to swing as hard as I wanted this evening at the range without fearing I would lose the ball way right (what a great feeling!). Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. It's made a big difference.

Virge? Would you mind commenting on the front view vid?

Thanks,
    T

Thread Information