Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Set of clubs for returning golfer

Hi OZgolfers

I am just getting back into playing after about 12 year hiatus from the game and am looking for an updated set of clubs.

I used to play with a set of cobra baffler blades and really liked them.
    I was shooting mid 80's when I stopped playing and have played two 9-hole rounds lately and managed about half dozen par's and even a birdie.
    Both rounds were about 10-12 over par.

I will be playing about once a week and am looking for a set of clubs.

I have been looking around the forums, ebay and online shops and am a bit stumped about what would be suitable for my level of play, as there is so much out there, and also something that i can improve with for the next couple of years.

I guess I am looking for something that will assist in improving my consistency, apart from lots of practice.

A friend, who is a single figure handicapper, suggested I go for something with stiff shafts as i have quite a quick swing.

Any and all suggestions, comments, advice (and clubs for sale) will be welcome and considered.

My budget for full set up (irons + driver + wedge/s) is about $600
    or just Irons about $400
    Willing to consider any offer

I am in West suburbs of Melbourne

Thanks in advance
    Julian
    Last edited by seahorse; 1st February 2009 at 12:24 AM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Welcome seahorse.

There's so many different options out there these days.

Keep an eye on the Pro Shop and you'll soon find something you like.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Half a dozen pars in 9 holes? I wouldn't let the current clubs out of my sight.
    (Bit worried about what you had on the other 3 holes to end up 10-12 over for the 9.)

At that pricepoint, it would only be second-hand, or new Brosnan or Tour-Special. (Although parring 2 holes out of 3 is not your typical Brosnan player.)

Have a look around the local pro-shop, driving range or main-street store. (Think about which clubs you use most (eg. driver, irons, wedges, putter, etc.) and upgrade these first, if needed.)

ps. Welcome Seahorse
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Half a dozen pars in 9 holes? I wouldn't let the current clubs out of my sight.
    (Bit worried about what you had on the other 3 holes to end up 10-12 over for the 9.)

At that pricepoint, it would only be second-hand, or new Brosnan or Tour-Special. (Although parring 2 holes out of 3 is not your typical Brosnan player.)

Have a look around the local pro-shop, driving range or main-street store. (Think about which clubs you use most (eg. driver, irons, wedges, putter, etc.) and upgrade these first, if needed.)

ps. Welcome Seahorse
    "Half a dozen pars in 9 holes? I wouldn't let the current clubs out of my sight."
    Sorry, I meant 6 pars over two 9-hole rounds (18 holes total)

"(Bit worried about what you had on the other 3 holes to end up 10-12 over for the 9.)"
    This is the whole point, my game is a bit like night and day, just need a little more day and a lot less night!

"(Think about which clubs you use most (eg. driver, irons, wedges, putter, etc.) and upgrade these first, if needed.)"
    I have already upgraded my putter as I use it on almost every hole

Have seen some clubs i like the look of, Mizuno Mp's, Cobra Cavity backs, Taylor made RACs.
    Would Forged clubs be uncontrollable?
    Am i better to go with cavity backs for more control?

Any advice greatly appreciated

...and thanks for the welcome

Blog Entries

Sorry for the misinterpretation. Co-incidentally, 6 pars over 18 holes and a final score of 10-16 over is my usual round.

For actual club brands, have a perve at everyone's WITB threads on this forum, which often has a bit of feedback, including why clubs got chosen/replaced. And Ozgolf.net has a good search option on the toolbar, to find anything specific that we would have already covered.

Have a perve around the local golf shops for second-hand gear. Your budget may be a little optimistic, as I've just done a upgrade/downgrade to 'yester-technology' (4 year old) driver, woods and putter, which was essentially $100 per club. (Hence my question about directing money on the area that will get the most benefit.)

The occasional half-hour lesson can be a cost-effective way to improve your ball-striking, consistency and scoring.

The forged vs. cast and blade vs. cavity-back debate can get quite heated. Basically, find something that you like the look of and gets the best results for you. (A high proportion of A-grade club golfers and even tour-pros have cast cavity-backs, so there is no set forumula.)

Enjoy.

Edit. I just realised this is in the 'Pro Shop' forum. (I was expecting the 'Equip Me' forum.) Sorry for treading on anyone's toes, who has something suitable for Seahorse.
    Last edited by Dotty; 1st February 2009 at 09:36 AM.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Blog Entries

Dotty has a lot of good things in there Seahorse.

You should be able to pick up some decent second hand cavity backs for under $400 which might give you a bit more for drivers and woods, but essentially you would average $100 per decent second hand wood in these parts.

For irons, I would recommend something with as much forgiveness as you can get in an iron you like the look of. No point hitting shovels if you hate the look of them, and on the flipside there is no point hitting forged blades if you love the look but cant get consistent with them.
    Naturally grippy

@ Dotty, Courty & Adlo
    Thanks for all the feed back and great suggestions

I have been loitering in Drummonds and HOG and couple of other stores in Melbourne and have hit a few clubs.
    The two clubs I liked the most were the Mizuno mx200 and Bridgestone j36

The guy at HOG said that Mizuno mx200 replaced the Mizuno mx25

I am shifting my focus, and funds, towards irons at this as I can get a new driver and possibly hybrids later.

If anyone has a good used set of mx25s or J36s with stiff shafts in the $600 ball park please let me know.

Thanks also to people have offered me clubs so far.

Regards
    Julian

Member Club Champion

Seahorse, I'm pretty sure you can get the J33 combo irons brand new which are an earlier model of the J36s at http://www.golfclearanceoutlet.com.au/ (they have stores in Fitzroy and Huntingdale) for $400.... just a thought

Thread Information