Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Default Best Golf Coach in Brisbane

I know this is a subject that is very subjective but I would be interested in some opinions. I haven't had a lesson for a number of years and am thinking I may have a few and try and play a little more. Previously had lessons from -

Ian Triggs - while a junior at Keperra, tried to change my whole swing to Leadbetter method which didn't work - probably never go back there although I am told he has changed quite a bit

Chris Chaplin - Aspley Pin High - very good but he moved, don't know where and the range is no longer

Jim Barden - Gailes - also good but I no longer work at Ipswich so not travelling that far

Doug Gardner - Royal Qld - very keen and good knowledge of the swing but he too has moved elsewhere

Garry Calder (Qld AIS)

Marty Gould (Used to be at Indro, dont know if he still is)

Wayne Peske's Coach who used to be at Brisbane GC (Murray or Lee I think)

Mark Gibson (If you like the Drill Sargent) - Royal Pines

Ossie Moore

Rob McConnell

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
    I know this is a subject that is very subjective but I would be interested in some opinions. I haven't had a lesson for a number of years and am thinking I may have a few and try and play a little more. Previously had lessons from -

Ian Triggs - while a junior at Keperra, tried to change my whole swing to Leadbetter method which didn't work - probably never go back there although I am told he has changed quite a bit

Chris Chaplin - Aspley Pin High - very good but he moved, don't know where and the range is no longer

Jim Barden - Gailes - also good but I no longer work at Ipswich so not travelling that far

Doug Gardner - Royal Qld - very keen and good knowledge of the swing but he too has moved elsewhere
    Chris has recently moved from Nudgee G.C to Keperra G.C
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Yes, Chris Chaplin is good. Had a few lessons from him when he was still at Nudgee.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by dwayne View Post

Jim Barden now teaches at Victoria Park http://www.victoriaparkgolf.com.au/content/view/24/42/
    I see Chris Gibson from there and would have to say he is the best I have seen.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Eag's View Post
    ... Victoria Park ...
    I see Chris Gibson from there and would have to say he is the best I have seen.
    I've heard good things about Chris Gibson also. I heard a whole lot of clients followed him over from Royal Qld.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

The person who leases Vic Park has close ties to RQ. His old man was a recent captain of RQ.

I've never had a lesson apart from a freebie with Triggsy (who also tried to just give me a completely new swing like he does with every student, one size fits all apparently?) but Murray Lott gets massive kudos around Brisbane GC for being a good coach/teacher. My shortgame has gotten so bad I actually considering going to see him, as I have seen great results for others that have seen him for the same reason.

Apart from that, both he and Triggsy are good blokes. Glen Gammon is also well regarded, no idea where he is these days though.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

If I was to take lessons I would choose Gary Calder at Indro.. besides having an indepth knowledge of the golf swing, he has been a master club fitter since his days at Bribie G.C. before he set up shop at Archerfield.

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    If I was to take lessons I would choose Gary Calder at Indro.. besides having an indepth knowledge of the golf swing, he has been a master club fitter since his days at Bribie G.C. before he set up shop at Archerfield.
    Another vote for Gaz here.
    That's a great practice range at Indro too.
    Deano

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

+1 for Gary Calder. The man is a genius!

Hi there,

I am new to the Brisbane area having moved from NZ a couple of months ago for work reasons. (I am a Nurse) This thread interests me as I am yet to join a club in Brisbane and I am also on the look out for a golf teacher that I can connect with me more so for playing lessons.
    Over the years, I have had a few and some of the Professionals I played with (playing lessons)-(in NZ) were shocking to be polite in terms of how they hit the ball and their scoring. I understand that a good teacher doesn't have to be a good player and a good player can be a bad teacher, so I am just trying to find a teacher which is a good teacher and can hit the ball. Kind of a all in one package you could say. I play off a handicap of 4. Any help or contacts would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by zuppers View Post
    Hi there,

I am new to the Brisbane area having moved from NZ a couple of months ago for work reasons. (I am a Nurse) This thread interests me as I am yet to join a club in Brisbane and I am also on the look out for a golf teacher that I can connect with me more so for playing lessons.
    Over the years, I have had a few and some of the Professionals I played with (playing lessons)-(in NZ) were shocking to be polite in terms of how they hit the ball and their scoring. I understand that a good teacher doesn't have to be a good player and a good player can be a bad teacher, so I am just trying to find a teacher which is a good teacher and can hit the ball. Kind of a all in one package you could say. I play off a handicap of 4. Any help or contacts would be appreciated.

Thankyou
    Bloody Hell! Your man is Chris Keus at Nudgee G.C., a match made in heaven.

I am not sure what you mean here? A match made in heaven? You have totally lost me. I am after some advice from people who may be getting lessons from golf pro's in Brisbane? (Playing lessons)

Thank you

I am not sure what you mean here? A match made in heaven? You have totally lost me. I am after some advice from people who may be getting lessons from golf pro's in Brisbane? (Playing lessons)

Thank you
    What hospital do you work at?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

**** you talk in braille sometimes razaar.
    Forum needs more banter.

I have no idea what he's on about
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    **** you talk in braille sometimes razaar.
    Thanks for the game today enjoyed your company.

Most hospitals have social golf days. The missus is a nurse (now semi-retired) and is always getting invites to play golf from hospital staff. Depending on the hospital we may be able to help zuppers with a contact or two.

Thank you

Seeing you are playing at Nudgee tomorrow, why not have a chat to Keus, you can tell him Razzar from Keperra sends his regards. As a 4 marker you might understand what he teaches, I certainly couldn't.
    Last edited by razaar; 1st February 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Hi there,

Thankyou
    where are you living? if we know that we can recommend some clubs

Member Club Pro

I was a junior at Bribie when Gary Calder was the club pro. I can't speak highly enough of him. Knows his stuff, doesn't over complicate the game and makes it fun.

He also had plenty of time for us when we were kids, doing junior clinics every school holidays and on Saturday mornings. He won numerous awards for being a great teaching pro back in those days. It's no surprise for me to hear he is still doing good things.

I am also on the look out for a golf teacher that I can connect with me more so for playing lessons.
    Do you mean you want someone to teach you how to play, as opposed to swing technique?

Many of the regular or past tour players offer this kind of lesson. One is a friend of mine, he played JPGA for about 10 years, his big claim to fame was slugging it out with Jumbo in the last round of a big event, and eventually winning, so in Japan at least, he was King for a while. He is good pretty good at this kind of teaching, for example one time he gave me a 30 min chipping lesson and not once did he mention technique. Whilst he doesnt do swing coaching, he will do shot making strategies, recovery shots, risk assessment and so on.

Unfortunately playing lessons in this part of the world (Gold Coast) is rather expensive. You have to pay the greenfee at a more expensive private course, as the cheap ones are too busy to be able to take the time needed, and also the standard is the Pro pays the course about 30% of his lesson fee. Your best bet is to be a member of your own club and organise the lesson on a quiet day if possible.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Basil

Yes, Taking the right lessons is important. Playing golf can be one of the most favorite past times for a wide variety of people.

I can't reccommend Chris Gibson from Victoria Park highly enough.

In 2 & 1/2 years he has taken me from 27 handicap down to 16 & I have won a C grade club matchplay championship & also C Grade club Championship along the way.

He is very definite about what needs to be achieved but always makes it fun & enjoyable & finds a way to get the desired result.

his personal website is www.chrisgibsongolf.com

Thread Information