Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default My swing journey

Well i just got a set together and i have a quick question for you all Just been belting balls around the paddock (we have 40 acres here).

The irons i got i hit really straight, very high ball flight, they have s300 shafts in them, the driver i got has an Aldila dvs 65s and i am hitting a massive fade/slice, everytime.

My thoughts are that i may need a stiffer shaft in the driver and fairway wood.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by zigwah; 17th February 2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: thought a name change was deserved

Stiffer shafts is not always the cure for a fade/slice.

More often than not (at least in my case) it is an outside-in swing caused from feeling to need to hit the driver harder/different to how you hit your irons.

Unless of course, your driver has a neutral/open face, and your irons are draw-biased and/or offset to buggery.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

this may sound silly, but are you setting up with a square clubface at address?? I know it's something I get wrong pretty much every time I play, so it's worth checking.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

stiffer shafts would increase the chances of hitting it right, so if anything you would need softer shafts
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Stiffer would normally do what moe says, it could be the "smash" factor ? ie, it's a driver, I have to smash the **** er

Banned

I was thinking that the longer shaft in the driver is more flexible than the irons, leaving the club face open at impact and thats the reason i'm not slicing the irons?

That also could be true, when you played last were you using steel in your driver ? You may consider swinging a lot slower for a while just until you get the feel for it again. The light and long shaft could be playing havoc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    That also could be true, when you played last were you using steel in your driver ? You may consider swinging a lot slower for a while just until you get the feel for it again. The light and long shaft could be playing havoc.
    When i last played i had aldila shaft also.

Will try a slower swing tomorrow and see what happens.

Wot 3oneday said. The flex shouldn't make much difference. I can hit anything from my x-stiff Superquad TP (with open face) to Haysey's reg shafted stuff with closed face... they all go straight, but the softer shafts just go higher.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Wot 3oneday said. The flex shouldn't make much difference. I can hit anything from my x-stiff Superquad TP (with open face) to Haysey's reg shafted stuff with closed face... they all go straight, but the softer shafts just go higher.
    I take it you're a good "releaser" of the club. I find with soft, whippy shafts in my driver I keep loading through the shot. I think this is more of a tempo thing than anything else, however.

Banned

Ok, im no expert but this is what i know, or think i know about the golf swing, well my current situation

It shouldn't matter how you swing the club, as long as your clubface is square to the target at impact, that's all there is to hitting a straight golf ball.

If i have a divot that is pointing straight to the target and i'm slicing my club face is open at impact or im blocking it right because my shoulders aren't turning, or my hands haven't released through the ball, although i think this would result in a different divot? slicing divot, not as in fade but cutting the turf, if that makes sense? or my shaft is too whippy and club face is still open at impact.

Now i think my tempo is good but i'm no Freddie couples, i try to have the first part of my downswing to be as slow as my back swing until it reaches waist height, then i drive throught the ball.

Does that all sound like bullshit, or am i thinking too much?

I just know i cant hit driver like that when i get on course or i'll never see my wife lol, that may be a good thing

they all go straight, but the softer shafts just go higher.
    Then why does that pond way right on your first hole make you so nervous?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I'm doing exactly the same as you Zig....irons straight, driver sliced to buggery.

For me it was/is the smash factor....my solution; slow everthing down and concentrate of squaring the face at impact which should mean (I'm guessing) your releasing your hands/rist.

BTW. surely your not making divots with your driver!?!?!
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Then why does that pond way right on your first hole make you so nervous?
    That's funny. You mean the first hole at Cairns ? Courty is the ONLY person I've seen put a ball in that pond and I've seen it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    That's funny. You mean the first hole at Cairns ? Courty is the ONLY person I've seen put a ball in that pond and I've seen it twice.

Has he really?

Hope to see that for myself on monday

"That former Solahart manager is so overbearing and intimidating"."

Wot 3oneday said. The flex shouldn't make much difference. I can hit anything from my x-stiff Superquad TP (with open face) to Haysey's reg shafted stuff with closed face... They all go straight, but the softer shafts just go higher.

"That former Solahart manager is so overbearing and intimidating"."

Banned

Well first foray in over 7 years and what a shocker, 0 fairways 3 greens 18 putts, 45 and i was rooted at the end of nine holes!!!!!

Well, I can now say first hand it aint the driver the Mac I hit this arvo hit the back fence 250 away each drive (on the run of course ). That's as far and as straight as I can hit it !

I'll post a pic tomorrow of the face as well

Banned

Yeah, good on ya

hehehe

Banned

That's the thing hey, i reckon i hit 5 out of 6 drivers out of the guts, one was 2 fairways over, pin high

Hmmm, have you stuck yourself on a video yet ? Super slow mo your transition, if you feel everything else is aligned OK. This is where I find I have troubles with blocking, where the club goes when I start my downswing.

Banned

No, no video yet. Will check it out during the week.

The Mizuno raw's i just picked up saved my bacon, i thought for sure i would be hittting them fat to start after a long break

Banned

The Mac actually motored, just not in the right diection!!!!

Banned

I saw someone mention flipping in conjuction with high ball flight, can someone please explain this to me?

Thread Information