Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 311 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: WA Golf Courses

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Default WA Golf Courses

admin edit: Discussion about WA Courses moved from 1st Tee thread: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11581

-----------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by adlo
    OK no worries. Burswood and Collier Park are pretty rubbish.

The Cut is a little overrated, but worth a look. Amazing setting and the holes than run down the coast are pretty memorable.

Let us know your plans when you have made them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck
    Agree 100 percent... they are pretty rubbish. I also think that The Cut is the world's most overrated course.

I think what Adlo is trying to say is that if Pete and Shazz come all the way here, there are better options that Collier and Burswood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    Geez your a tough man to please
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Don't disagree that if your coming from interstate they wouldnt be top 3 on the list.

However as affordable public golfing venues that are well presented they do exactly what they should.
    Don't disagree with you (much)

Burswood is an embarrasment for the land and the $$ invloved in setting up Burswood.

Collier is a very nice public track, but nothing to show off WA golf.
    Last edited by AndyP; 2nd December 2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Discussion moved
    Naturally grippy

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Pete, I didn't even see your post about the two, I just thought Adlo has brought them up.

Bruce, you are right about the purpose they serve. I actually quite enjoy Burswood and Collier park is great for my ego!

I have heard good things about Araleun lately. Adlo played there recently, he would know best.

I love Joondalup, but only because a mate was working there and I could play 27 holes for $16 with a cart. I would NEVER pay $100+ to play there.

Meadow's has jacked their prices and is a nice track, but nothing special that you haven't seen before. Not as good as Kennedy or Secret, but almost twice the price.

Take the drive to Binningup Adlo! Make a day of it. See if you can get 9 at Binningup and 18 at Capel, or even Halls Head if you wanted to head back towards the city. I find it is a very underrated course.

The Cut is good for the experience. The 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th are great holes and the view from the 18th (the hole sucks) is worth the experience. If you do play, take special note of 11 and 17, which are the two worst golf holes I have ever played, next to a par 3 back in Canada that forced you to play a cut due to a giant tree that took up the entire fairway.

Speirsy rated The Cut very highly when he was still in Aus.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Blog Entries

Courty, some people rate it VERY highly, as in WA's best golf course. I just cannot agree, when there is so many overly penal blind tee shots and some rubbish housing-track holes in the mix.

If it wasn't so highly regarded I would probably sound more positive. I just hate overrated stuff.

Without a doubt the best real estate that a WA golf course has been built on, so it should be decent!

Have you guys looked into Mandurah Country Club?
    It's cheap at about $25-$30 still I think, for mine one of the best courses available for public access around our way.
    Pinjarra is not a bad track either, great greens!

jmo

Just re-read JC's post and Mandurah C.C & Halls Head are same course.
    Last edited by simmsy; 1st December 2008 at 09:12 PM.

Maybe SunCity if you wanted to head north of the city.
    VVeeeerrrryyyy Looooooggg course though, especially if the wind gets up!

Blog Entries

I am playing Sun City next week. Have never played it before. Long? Looks like the fairway wood/hybrids will be getting a workout.

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    I am playing Sun City next week. Have never played it before. Long? Looks like the fairway wood/hybrids will be getting a workout.

Blog Entries

That was for you JC, glad you didn't miss it

Yeah from memory pretty long, haven't played there for about 5 years though.
    And just something for you to sleep on Adlo plenty of right-left tee shots required on this course mate!

Blog Entries

Easy Simmsy. I have just the low running hook for it. Just not that pretty.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Your overly harsh Adlo. Kennedy Bay is superior, no doubt, but if someone who had never played the Cut before had read your posts, they would get a view as out of proportion as those who rate it the other way. The holes through the housing aren't rubbish, they aren't great either, I think they're fine, however their main fault is that they are out of context with the rest of the course. I don't think most of the blind holes are overly penal, with nine being the exception. I enjoyed the course immensely, with the exception of the lack of water available to drink on a course that gets upwards of 40* days in a Perth summer (that seems to be a common failing with many new courses these days). It is also visually spectacular in parts. Having said all that, if I had to pick one to play regularly I would choose Kennedy Bay in a flash.

Blog Entries

Was does a high handicapper know??

Just joking, I am one too.

Just, I see your points, and like I said, I am rating it harshly against HIGH EXPECTATIONS AND EXTREMELY HIGH RATINGS that The Cut has.

It has some great holes, no doubt. Its average holes are no worse than the bad holes on a course like Meadow Springs or Secret Harbour. But they charge a premium rate 7 days a week, and I believe more enjoyable golf can be found.

I stand by my comments about the overly penal nature of The Cut.

Strewth.....getting a bit nervous about putting up Glen Iris as my course for our WA matchplay......that would look like a paddock compared to Burswood
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Blog Entries

Golfnut, I am rating The Cut against courses of a similar stature.

I played 9 holes at Glen Iris last week and enjoyed it. It is, as I said to Mr Dickinson re Collier, fine for what it is. It is not in the same league as The Cut of Kennedy Bay. But for a well priced public track, it is excellent.

I really enjoy playing Wembley, Collier, Maylands and a few other public courses. But again, I would never compare them to Araluen or Joondalup, as it would be unfair to do so.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

One of my favourite courses is a 9 holer about 90 mins south. Probably too much effort, but worth a mention.

Otherwise The Cut is a good option. Of our "top" courses Meadow Springs is in poor condition lately, The Vines is nothing you haven't seen before, Joondalup is the worst value for $ golf in Perth. Secret Harbour is nice, but is Kennedy Bay's poorer cousin so will probably be a disappointment after KB Saturday. Araluen is nice too.

Depends what you are looking for.
    How's Joondalup the worst value for golf in Perth?

Gulp!!! Feel better now
    I actually really enjoy playing Burswood...we usually play it once or twice a year and I really look forward to it.

Having said all of the above my brother & I played Araluen back in late August and the place looked terrible....I mean com'on it was the midst of winter and the place was dry and a more yellow shade of green on some of the fairways....it did improve as the game went on but I was glad the game was on the house. (As was lunch & drinks.....they were doing the big suckup job trying to win back a big spending old client)
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Blog Entries

Araluen had a very bad year. It is in excellent condition now, all credit to the green staff. It is looking as good as any other course in Perth.

Be nice to head back there again to check it out properly.....was just pretty bad advertising I thought especially while trying to win back a big client.....in the end I think where my brother works, ended up taking up the corperate package.....it was just too good to pass up, they were practially giving it away cause they really wanted the bar $$$....those concreters have thirsty apetites before, during and especially after a game
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

I reckon any course charging >$75 in Perth is poor value. It is simply not justified when there are so many good private/with public access courses available in perth/mandurah for under $40.

I usually steer clear of the top end full access courses as you get the corporate days and miners days on them and no one looks after the bunkers or repairs the greens like they do on private/with public access courses, and so often on these courses they only mow the greens every 2nd day. If I pay premium I expect premium. I know people out there will say this and that about different courses, Im just saying as a general rule and from my own experience.

Another thing about the premium courses i find is happening alot is they are doing work on the course (coring greens/fairways) or have received large amounts of vandilism and still charge full whack and don't tell you when you book!! ARE YOU LISTENING MEADOW & SECRET!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson View Post
    How's Joondalup the worst value for golf in Perth?
    OK, looks like the firing line is forming, so lets just get this over with

I do not like Joondalup and I think The Cut is average.

I think their green fees represent poor value for money, especially Joondalup. What is it on weekends, $130? I would rather play Kennedy Bay 3 times for that money.

If I look at top shelf courses in our lovely state, I think The Vines, Joondalup, The Cut and Araluen are all shown up by Kennedy Bay, at around half the cost.

I am happy to spend money of golf. Lord knows, most of us in these forums are. But for ENJOYMENT, I would rather play Binningup at $15 than Joondalup/Araluen/The Cut all for $100+. I just think that means they fall short IN MY OPINION! If a honour box run, $15 green fee 9 hole golf course is more enjoyable than our creme de la creme of golf courses, something is wrong.
    Naturally grippy

Yeah found the same when I played Secret Harbour last month....the whole fairway on the 1st looked like a cow paddock.....not a nice way to start your round.
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

here'here for Binningup!
    great little track to pop in for a quick game.

$130 at Joondalup??? Is that right Adlo?
    Give me a break for sure.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

OK, looks like the firing line is forming, so lets just get this over with

I do not like Joondalup and I think The Cut is average.

I think their green fees represent poor value for money, especially Joondalup. What is it on weekends, $130? I would rather play Kennedy Bay 3 times for that money.

If I look at top shelf courses in our lovely state, I think The Vines, Joondalup, The Cut and Araluen are all shown up by Kennedy Bay, at around half the cost.

I am happy to spend money of golf. Lord knows, most of us in these forums are. But for ENJOYMENT, I would rather play Binningup at $15 than Joondalup/Araluen/The Cut all for $100+. I just think that means they fall short IN MY OPINION! If a honour box run, $15 green fee 9 hole golf course is more enjoyable than our creme de la creme of golf courses, something is wrong.
    no firing line, just curious about the comment. I know you didn't enjoy Joondalup but I'd rather play their than the Cut, the Vines or Araluen so each to their own

Blog Entries

I am pretty sure simmsy. Weekend rate with a cart for Joondalup is around $130, Araluen is $120 and Vines is at least $90. The Cut is $135.

Thread Information