Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 311 FirstFirst ... 2 42 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 62 102 152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 7759

Thread: WA Golf Courses

Ahhhhhh. Hence the spray painted locations on the fairways!!!

Senior Member Major Winner

Yeah that's right there was markers all over the course hey!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Ha. Stupid me. I saw them on monday arvo and had no idea what they were. How bloody obvious.

Now, I'm not doubting my partner Simmsy at all, but I just jumped on to nearmap.com to check out the condition of Araluen over the last few years. The latest update to the images on 28th Jan 2010. The course looks like absolute shit! Brown and choppy and the greens have no sort of edge definition! It better rain a lot between now and May for me to want to play!

And some knob has left a burnout on the 17th green. Wankers.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

We saw a flame out on a 17th green today.

Hartfields greens are being cored on the 15th of March.

Noooooooo!!!! Right at the beginning of my holidays! I was going to play so much golf! Might to have knock off some bucket listers. Secret, Mandurah, Gosnells (just to play it) AND....THE BIG ONE!!!

Blog Entries

Freo Public?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    Now, I'm not doubting my partner Simmsy at all, but I just jumped on to nearmap.com to check out the condition of Araluen over the last few years. The latest update to the images on 28th Jan 2010. The course looks like absolute shit! Brown and choppy and the greens have no sort of edge definition! It better rain a lot between now and May for me to want to play!
    oh geez, I hope not as I am playing there in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Freo Public?
    Not that big!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmopolite View Post
    oh geez, I hope not as I am playing there in 2 weeks.
    Some pics of 10 and 11. Perhaps I'm being harsh, and Simmsy will tell me to pull my head in, but it looks disgraceful!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Not great MW.....some seriously dead patches on 10 by the look of it.
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

That looks like the Geelong course that closed, except worse.

truly not that bad guys.

the greens while a bit soft ran true all day when we were there and while some of the fw were on the dry side bad lies were very much few and far between.

As i told you on thursday MW @ $59 i would definately play it again. when all things considered it's better value than vines at $35 (sorry idg).

It's not perfect and i think it will still be a struggle for them but when you take in the course layout and scenery, and the course is in reasonable nick it is still a great place to play golf.

They are not great pictures, especially in the market Araluen are competing in
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

More pics of the tenth:

May

October...Obviously rain helps!

If they don't get cores done in the next month or two, the greens are gonna be crudworthy through winter!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Just a social 9 this week and played the front 9 on the Tuart course at Wembley for the first time.

General impression was that it was a bit mickey mouse with lots of blind shots and quite contoured greens to try and defend the very short length.

On the plus side it was a great alternative to the old course with all the elevation changes, sloping fairways and the interest of water hazards on several holes. The greens were in great shape and rolled quick and true.

I had 53 off the stick (including a 10 and an 8 ) but I think playing there a second time and knowing the layout could see a much lower score as I laid up plenty not knowing the course. My 10 and 8 were also the result of playing the wrong shot and finding out the hard way. A course map on the scorecard would be a good addition!

A long hitter could tear the course up I think once they knew the lines to take off the tee. I think I'll play this one again but I'll take a cart if it's 39C.
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Quote Originally Posted by Veefore View Post
    Hartfield was rated last Monday. The Vice Captain was there and hopefully will give a report on Tuesday at the Match Committee meeting.
    Hey v4, Melville is being rated today. Only found out after playing with the Course Director in Sat's comp.

Anyone know what sorts of things are done/measured? The CD said that they basically use formula to calculate the final rating. One of the parameters, for instance, is to measure from the tee out to 230m and measure the fairway width, and whether hazards are in play. I'm guessing that on par 4's for e.g. that they would also then measure how far remaining to the green, and again how "wide" the area is, again whether hazards are in play.

Apparently we are getting 3 ratings, Championship, normal Men'c club comp, and ladies.

gw

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    Just a social 9 this week and played the front 9 on the Tuart course at Wembley for the first time.

General impression was that it was a bit mickey mouse with lots of blind shots and quite contoured greens to try and defend the very short length.

On the plus side it was a great alternative to the old course with all the elevation changes, sloping fairways and the interest of water hazards on several holes. The greens were in great shape and rolled quick and true.

A long hitter could tear the course up I think once they knew the lines to take off the tee. I think I'll play this one again but I'll take a cart if it's 39C.
    A long AND accurate hitter.

It is far from mickey mouse. Yes, there are blind tee shots on 5 and 6 and some local knowledge comes in handy on 1,2 and 8. It is a very fun 9 holes of golf.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorywannabe View Post
    Hey v4, Melville is being rated today. Only found out after playing with the Course Director in Sat's comp.

Anyone know what sorts of things are done/measured? The CD said that they basically use formula to calculate the final rating. One of the parameters, for instance, is to measure from the tee out to 230m and measure the fairway width, and whether hazards are in play. I'm guessing that on par 4's for e.g. that they would also then measure how far remaining to the green, and again how "wide" the area is, again whether hazards are in play.

Apparently we are getting 3 ratings, Championship, normal Men'c club comp, and ladies.

gw
    Razaar has made some very informative posts about this in the "new handicap system" threads. Basically they rate the course for a bogey golfer and a pro. They say a pro hits the ball 250 yards off the tee and a bogey golfer hots it 200 yards and a heap of other stuff like that.
    Naturally grippy

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Hartfield will also be measured for the new 'simmsy' rating...

1) Measure fairway width at simmsy's driver distance (180m) and see how many hazards come in to play for the SECOND shot.

2) Only measure to hazards on the right side (left is nearly irrelevant).

3) Ignore most contouring on greens - he'll chip in or alternatively bounce it off the flag to a couple of inches.

4) Count the beers in the clubhouse fridge...the more beers the better the rating.

5) See how many tees are within audible range to be able to hear simmsy hitting his driver on the driving range !! (Lucky he got rid of The Toaster, it may have altered the rating)

6) How much free sunscreen is available in the men's locker room (in litres)

7) The locker room cardigan count...

Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    Hartfield will also be measured for the new 'simmsy' rating...

1) Measure fairway width at simmsy's driver distance (180m) and see how many hazards come in to play for the SECOND shot.

2) Only measure to hazards on the right side (left is nearly irrelevant).

3) Ignore most contouring on greens - he'll chip in or alternatively bounce it off the flag to a couple of inches.

4) Count the beers in the clubhouse fridge...the more beers the better the rating.

5) See how many tees are within audible range to be able to hear simmsy hitting his driver on the driving range !! (Lucky he got rid of The Toaster, it may have altered the rating)

6) How much free sunscreen is available in the men's locker room (in litres)

7) The locker room cardigan count...

atleast i'm hitting the fw 'fit. did you miss the fw's you were playing yesterday by 50 mtrs or 100 mtrs. you my wide little friend should hang your head in shame for a choking like that. At least when Yoss choked he did it to a bloke playing off 4, not 24.

hows the nerves today mate?

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    atleast i'm hitting the fw 'fit. did you miss the fw's you were playing yesterday by 50 mtrs or 100 mtrs. you my wide little friend should hang your head in shame for a choking like that. At least when Yoss choked he did it to a bloke playing off 4, not 24.

hows the nerves today mate?
    Apart from 8 (downwind & lost ball due to bounce!), 17 & 18 I drove it fairly well simmsy...

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    A long AND accurate hitter.

It is far from mickey mouse. Yes, there are blind tee shots on 5 and 6 and some local knowledge comes in handy on 1,2 and 8. It is a very fun 9 holes of golf.
    Yes it was, hence my plan to return. 5 of 9 holes tricky without seeing them before?...still think it's a bit mickey mouse Glad I had the range finder. It stopped me from taking too much club on quite a few holes.

Long and accurate is a given. Hit my tee shot 30m short of the green on 7 so ~230-240 uphill but in the shite right by about 4m...walked away with 8
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Blog Entries

The front nine of tuart is great. Not mickey mouse at all IMO, for mind mickey mouse is defined by holes like 17 at the cut... I love cutting off the corner on the opening par 5.

Thread Information