Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 259 of 311 FirstFirst ... 159 209 249 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 269 309 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,475 of 7759

Thread: WA Golf Courses

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesy View Post
    I play most my golf at links Kennedy Bay. Super layout and is a public track most of the time except when members are on Wednesday and Saturday.Their greens are considered crap (I agree) for how good the layout is, but considered what I came up against at a true public course I won't complain.Mate, have a look at members tracks that allow public on.Places like Gosnells and Hartfield allow public on Tuesdays and Friday afternoon.Further south, Kennedy Bay, Secret Harbour, Kwinana, Meadow Springs and Mandurah are all great golf courses that are accessible to publicPlayers (just avoid Saturday mornings).These are the courses you should be trying to get on. Don't worry about hardness of the course. Marangaroo has 2 bunkers, KB 208. Learn to play bunker shots, learnt to keep it on the fairway. Enjoy breaking 100, then 90.Learn to putt on better greens, where to chip, where to approach.Places like Marangaroo or Hamersely is not golf.
    I believe KBay only has 115 bunkers. Easy.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Playing KB for the first time Sunday week. Hopefully I don't find too many of those 115 bunkers.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

He says he lives 5 mins from Mangers and has to work around kids.

Tossing out a bunch of courses 30-60 mins drive away probably doesn't help much Heaf.

I agree you Southies are more spoiled for choice and quality though!
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    He says he lives 5 mins from Mangers and has to work around kids.

Tossing out a bunch of courses 30-60 mins drive away probably doesn't help much Heaf.

I agree you Southies are more spoiled for choice and quality though!
    I understand the work/life pressures that kids bring.

I understand why people play at those courses but I was just suggesting some alternatives to the norm and there are better courses around.

Having been a NOR boy most of my life, I know that there is a lack of good golf courses. Carramar I hear is going well, I played a lot at Joondalup (I got lucky, 3 mates worked at cart room). What's places like Lakelands in terms of public access?

I also don't mind traveling to play golf. It was 45 minutes from home to Marangaroo on Saturday. That's nothing really.
    Why exactly do I need to answer to you?

Nullarbor Cup Record 4-0-0
    UnCivil War Record 2-0-0
    GSM Best Finish: 1st
    Vic Champs Best Finish: Tied 4th
    Number of Times beating DC: 1

Blog Entries

Sun City is very much on the improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Sun City is very much on the improve.
    Can't drive over 20 minutes to golf mate.

UnCivil War Record 2-0-0

I like travelling to golf too. More time out of the house

Lakelands has public access for about $40 not sure what restrictions apply. Maybe Jooles would know. I will probably try and get on there next time the scaly mates and I get out.

Joondalup is the best metro course I have played at but it's stupid money for the mug punter and hard to consider it for any knnd of regular play. To my mind most of the best north courses are just super hard/impossible for people without a member connection to get a hit at (WAGC,Lolly LK).

I'm about 5 mins from Mangers too. It's pretty much a golf wasteland. 15-20 mins to Carramar or 20 or so mins to Wembley are the best options I know of and I'm right on the freeway.
    Last edited by Pieface; 25th April 2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Hamersley.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

When I was beginning I used to really enjoy playing Marangaroo. The same people who built it built Maylands. Both courses were designed to be fast and easy to play to get as many people through in a day as possible and maximise revenue for the client (councils).
    I used to play Hamersley before work when I lived in Joondanna and it was the first course I ever shot even par for nine holes. I thought it was an interesting layout and far from boring.

Then again, I enjoy any course that has an interesting layout and don't much care if it's a $100 a round private course or a free (club med Bali 6 hole pitch and putt course with the worlds slowest greens.

Spot on,V4. The objective for the design is often overlooked by those providing the review.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by idgolfguy View Post
    Spot on,V4. The objective for the design is often overlooked by those providing the review.
    I stand by The Dunsborough Old Course being one of the best designed courses I have played.

I always forget about Wembley.

I

UnCivil War Record 2-0-0

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I stand by The Dunsborough Old Course being one of the best designed courses I have played.
    +1
    - Woody Allen

+1
    Agee, awesome layout.

Unfortunately 429 metre straight away par 5's (at marangaroo) with no bunkers to mottled and soft greens doesn't float anything except my ego.

UnCivil War Record 2-0-0

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Played Meadow Spings today. First time I've been there since last years summer cup. It was in great condition and they had the markers off the tips so it was a good challenge. We were thinking of playing the Vines but love his layout and glad we played here.

The only downer was the mozzies. Have never been attacked by the little buggers as much as we were the front nine.

I hit the ball as good as I have in a long time. I hit 14 greens in reg and two of the greens I missed were on par 5's where I hit it into green side bunkers for 2 and still managed to miss the gir.

I work right near Hamersley and have played most of my golf there since changing jobs, I find it much more challenging with its thicker rough between fairways. Only played 9 at a time after work, I'd be interested to play 18, I reckon I'd be lucky to break 95 based on usual scores there!

I finally broke 90 yesterday, shot 87 on par 73 at Hill View. Had some luck and stayed out of/got out of trouble well. Putted like shite though, could have been 83, gotta sort out those misses from inside 1.5m At least the greens were a good speed and nice and smooth, Marangaroo's were so lumpy and bumpy, my bro in law hit a good putt only to watch it jump 30 degrees to the right to ruin his par.

Haven't played Wembley yet, will have to add it to the list. Carramar is definitely on the list and yes, much closer to my neck of the woods. Joondalup will be a "one day" treat maybe for my birthday or something similar. Golf is an indulgence and I can't drop more than $50 on it without accommodating it in the budget, wife hasn't earnt a penny for 5 years and wont for another 3 at a guess. Lucky we are natural tightarses

I liked the hilly sort of layout of Altone Park with the blind approach shots and having to think about club selection but when I played last year the greens were shocking, apparently it's under new management and looking better?

Played Rose Hill when I was 20 and living out that way hacking for fun with mates, even then I found the layout boring. Haven't bothered going back even for nostalgia.

Played once at the Vines (Ellenbrook) as a gift from a member, found it easier than I expected even though I shot 100 (not a good day off the tee). Wider fairways than I expected and I only found one or two bunkers all round I think. Just played like crap!

Shot an 89 (par 70?) at Gosnells when my boss took some of us there, I enjoyed that one but can't get there in time for the public arvos unfortunately.
    Ping, Callaway, Wilson Staff, Cleveland, Odyssey & Bridgestone - the United Nations of golf gear

They seem to be growing the rough at the Vines. Even with the wider fairways, the rough would change some of the difficulty of the course.
    - Woody Allen

Mububban
    play Joondalup with the twilight special, $29.00 after 2.30pm for nine holes
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Is a great deal.
    - Woody Allen

Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Mububban
    play Joondalup with the twilight special, $29.00 after 2.30pm for nine holes
    anyone keen for a 9 hole hit this afternoon then? 3.30 tee off or so?
    long and soft

GL: 6011911179

Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    I would ring and book, its school holidays and they will be busy
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Quote Originally Posted by rubin View Post
    Got a Newbie mate and we are playing at Carramar at 2pm for 18 if you're interested.
    - Woody Allen

Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Blog Entries

Got a Newbie mate and we are playing at Carramar at 2pm for 18 if you're interested.
    Cheers mate, but I wont get out till about 2.30 from the office.
    long and soft

GL: 6011911179

Joondalup would be more suited to your 250m three woods.

We can wait if you're keen and can make it around 2.30. Tough ask to get out to Caramar though. Joondalup would be too hard for him. He just picked up a set of Cobra S2s and wanted to try them.
    - Woody Allen

Thread Information