Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 311 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: WA Golf Courses

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

love that seventh hole at KB, nothing better than a short par 4 that you can make 2 or 7 on
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    harder = better?

I've not played the course, but it looks over-bunkered in the driving zones from what I have seen.

115 is a sh!tload of traps.

Of the links I have played over here so far, I'm trying to think of a single hole bunkered both sides of the driving zone, and yet they are not easy courses.
    I played with Adlo their about two months ago and didn't go in one fairway trap (a mix of luck and planning), if you know where to go at KB a lot of the fairway bunkers can be avoided

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    harder = better?

I've not played the course, but it looks over-bunkered in the driving zones from what I have seen.

115 is a sh!tload of traps.

Of the links I have played over here so far, I'm trying to think of a single hole bunkered both sides of the driving zone, and yet they are not easy courses.
    I never said harder was better. What I am saying is that it is a great hole and doesn't need changing at all. Why make it easier?

If you play the course, you'll find that the bunkers are very fair, with the exception of two little bunkers on 4 where the balls can feed into. If there are bunkers on both sides they are staggered so that you can't reach both (with the exception of 5).

The majority of the bunkers are on the edges of the fairways and placed in spots that actually stop you from going into the scrub and losing balls.

The fairways are wide and the greens are big. You deserve to be punished in some way if you miss them.

The hole that you can see that is guarded on both sides is the 5th, called "Thread the Needle". The bunkers make it risk/reward and it is by far one of the best holes on the course.

While there are that many bunkers, it really doesn't play as such. In reality, the total area covered by them would probably be much less than most resort courses as the bunkers are quite small.

You should get out here for a game Scott and then pass judgment, instead of judging it from an airiel photo or two. The 9th doesn't even show half the hole, but you would already like to fill in some bunkers!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Because they are in the wrong areas?

If so, could they be filled in without reducing the challenge of the course?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson View Post
    love that seventh hole at KB, nothing better than a short par 4 that you can make 2 or 7 on
    Exactly. It's sooooooo tempting on a calm day!

I played with Adlo their about two months ago and didn't go in one fairway trap (a mix of luck and planning), if you know where to go at KB a lot of the fairway bunkers can be avoided
    Correct. Know where to hit and you'll have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post

You should get out here for a game Scott and then pass judgment, instead of judging it from an airiel photo or two. The 9th doesn't even show half the hole, but you would already like to fill in some bunkers!
    That's why I volunteered up front that I hadn't played it, but Dicky's pics aren't my first sight of the holes/course.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

G69, cheers for the great pics.

Wow, what was I thinking? Off working when a Kennedy Bay discussion was going on.

Scottt, Kennedy Bay has a lot of bunkers, no doubt. If you play there once you may feel it is over bunkered. But as a members course it is not over bunkered. As JC has pointed out, the fairways (for the most part) are very wide and the greens very large.

Kennedy Bay is set up to predominately play into a headwind or tailwind, so you do not often have crosswinds pushing balls into bunkers.

Fairways that are bunkered both sides are bunkered at different distances from the tee and force you to think about line of play and club selection.

The best $5 you can ever spend at KB is a course guide.... and know your yardages well. If you know your yardages well you won't have a problem.

The fairway bunkers on #4 seem to be the only poor bunkers on the course, and that could be fixed by leveling the fairway.

I often play a round at KB and will land in a maximum of 1-2 bunkers. However, when I play a resort course like Joondalup or the Vines I land in more than that. Don't forget, we could fit 20 pot bunkers in a large Joondalup greenside bunker. So 3-4 pot bunkers around a green isn't that bad. You can miss the green and you won't necessarily be in a trap.

Golfnut, terrible comparison. I will correct you... you should have said Secret Harbour looks a lot like Kennedy Bay. Not vice versa.

Bruce Dickinson, #9 is a funny hole. I tend to agree the bunkering extends too far into the fairway. Less bunkering wouldn't really open up a more aggressive line though. It does dogleg pretty hard left. It would probably just mean you drive on the line of the current bunkers instead of playing out right as a safe option.

Jarro, most KB bunkers are as good as a full shot penalty. PW would be a best case scenario, LW would be the norm
    Naturally grippy

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    G69, cheers for the great pics.
    I often play a round at KB and will land in a maximum of 1-2 bunkers. However, when I play a resort course like Joondalup or the Vines I land in more than that. Don't forget, we could fit 20 pot bunkers in a large Joondalup greenside bunker. So 3-4 pot bunkers around a green isn't that bad. You can miss the green and you won't necessarily be in a trap.
    One important variable is the increased likelihood of awkward lies and stances or bunker walls interefering with your swing in a small pot bunker that is part of a cluster as opposed to a large 'parkland' bunker.

I'm not saying that is bad or unfair, simply different.

My only observation is that there is a lot of sand there, more than you might se on some of the famed courses that I imagine may have inspired KB's designer. I merely wonder, as someone who has perved a lot but not played, how many of the 115 add to the design.

Re: fairway traps at staggered lengths, I find a weak cut travels shorter off the tee than when I hook one. That being so, a RHS pot at 210-220m and a LHS pot at 235-250m would both be in play for me, given the shot that will lead to me finding them.

Blog Entries

Suprisingly you get decent lies at KB a lot of the time. The hard sand seems to filter the ball down pretty fairly. Bunker walls are a different story.

I agree the amount of bunkers is a modern take of "classic" courses. However, KB has much less undulation in the fairways than a lot of classic links courses. So, while you could eliminate some of the bunkers, it wouldn't be that many. Maybe between 10-20 total. If you ever make it out west, come and play it more than twice and you will see. It is a great course design. It is hard to judge that from pics.

After walking the course with MattM, I picked his brains a bit as we walked. We discussed how on a lot of holes at KB, the bunkers can be used as driving lines or markers (which apparently Norman does a lot of too). We have wide fairways, so make the most of it. I hit a straight to gentle cut off the tee, which will travel around 230m with roll on a still day, so I hit a lot of gentle cuts off LH fairway bunkers and it works a treat. It is not rocket science. JC hits a 210m 4 iron than runs hard, so he uses a different club, but a similar approach.
    Naturally grippy

Yep and Yep
    ABOOTMAN

GRAMANG

After walking the course with MattM, I picked his brains a bit as we walked. We discussed how on a lot of holes at KB, the bunkers can be used as driving lines or markers (which apparently Norman does a lot of too). We have wide fairways, so make the most of it. I hit a straight to gentle cut off the tee, which will travel around 230m with roll on a still day, so I hit a lot of gentle cuts off LH fairway bunkers and it works a treat. It is not rocket science. JC hits a 210m 4 iron than runs hard, so he uses a different club, but a similar approach.
    This is something that I have noticed on all the seaside courses I've played, and I like it. At Deal, there are seven holes where my driving line is directly at a bunker I know I could clear with a hybrid or else not reach in a pink fit. I quite like it.

I do plan to make a WA trip a priority when I get home. Many courses there I'd like to see.

Blog Entries

I think you will like KB.

Play The Cut to see all the fuss. Joondalup is worth a look too if you want to see the most intense Resort course that could be built.
    Naturally grippy

Lake Kurrinyup?

Either of the Royal tracks (Perth and Freeo) worth a look? I'll have reciprocals, so would be a shame to miss something worth seeing...

Blog Entries

Karrinyup is meant to be lovely, post renovations especially. MM is trying to hook me a game up atm.

Royal Perth is overrated poo. I believe Freo is nice, but way better courses need to be prioritized. Neither of the Royals will change your life.
    Naturally grippy

Karrinyup's online course tour appears to have been done during renos. Not a good look!

Blog Entries

They are far too old school for an up to date website!

Actually most websites for courses over here are embarrassing.
    Naturally grippy

Blog Entries

royal perth is average at best just like well mantained public track really

Looks narrow and very up&back.

If you're interested - I can get you on the Vines fairly cheaply but not on a Saturday on the member's course (The Lakes). You'd have to play the Ellenbrook. Any other day is fine but will need notice if it is a week day so that I can take a day off work. Both 18s are a different style to what has been discussed here.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Karrinyup is meant to be lovely, post renovations especially. MM is trying to hook me a game up atm.

Royal Perth is overrated poo. I believe Freo is nice, but way better courses need to be prioritized. Neither of the Royals will change your life.
    have you played Royal Perth?

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

To me RP is WAY overrated...Kikuyu too (which I don't like!). Very small property, very flat, holes up and back and very close together...

RF is much better. Also Kikuyu (which I don't like!). Better layout, more undulating, tougher, better greens than RP

Karrinyup is great. The changes made are substantial on some holes (completely 'new' hole on 12), not so on others (like . Most of the reno's were to re-do the greens which are now VERY hard, make the bunkers more 'rugged' looking and put them back into the original positions (from old aerial photos). Tree removal was massive (about 1500 or so I think) because they had started to badly encroach on playing lines etc (such as 2, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 1. They also opened up HUGE areas so that you could see neighbouring holes...

Agree with comments made on The Cut...

Hot & cold about Joondalup. Brother in law is now a member so makes it easier for me to play more regularly...once over the wow factor, to me it is NOT a great layout. Too many mickey mouse holes for my liking (then again my preference has ALWAYS been for the genuine links style golf I grew up with in Scotland)

Mt Lawley is now a great track. Recent reno's over the last three years have improved many holes and condition is always good. Less difference between best and worst holes than many other courses, good mix of short 4's and long 4's, reachable Par 5's and 3 shotters, short 3's and longer ones. A very well balanced course.

Sun City and Kwinana are underarted, and with some conditioning and tweaking could be great tracks. They are good now, especially the layout at Sun City...

Have played RP twice in the last three years - did not come wanting to play there in the immediate future. The condition is good but felt a little closed in and not a great deal of variety.

Looking forward to playing Mt Lawley during the Holden Scramble as I have not played there as yet.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Blog Entries

Nice one 69er, although I would like to see your opinion of the Cut if you were having a bad day off the tee.

Even if it is not Wilchers fault, it is so silly to have such narrow corridors on a windy coastal track.

I would love to see Bunbury with some money spent there, don't think it will ever happen though.....

Next time you head to Binningup we should make a day of it.
    Naturally grippy

Blog Entries

There's always a silver lining
    Naturally grippy

How wide are they from crap left to crap right?

Thread Information