Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 311 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: WA Golf Courses

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    Only another 9...but a tweak of the existing 9 to accommodate houses.
    I hope the tweaking is better than what's happened to #8 at Binningup.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by gregorywannabe View Post
    Hopefully g69 will make it more interesting!

The new 8th and 9th open at the end of this month.
    did you get an invite to the cocktail party?
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson View Post
    did you get an invite to the cocktail party?
    We'll probably go. Not sure if g69's over this way then.

Opening of the 8th & 9th
    Friday, 30th January 2009
    Members are invited to a pre-opening cocktail party from 6:00pm for a sneak peek of the new holes prior to their opening on Saturday. At 7:30pm you're also welcome to make your way back to the clubhouse for a sumptuous sit-down meal.
    Tickets to the cocktail party are $15 per person and $50 for both the cocktail party and dinner available NOW through admin. Book early to win yourself a golden ticket for the special NTP competition for the chance to win $100 house credit on the evening!
    Attached Files

Hope we're not playing off the champ tees at 200m then!

well only 2 days to go & I am Perth bound
    Hit'n hard but not necessarily straight !!

Ping G10 9 deg
    Callaway FTiQ 10 deg
    Cleaveland Launcher 2009 9 deg
    Muzuno MP52 Irons, SW & Lofted (T Series)
    Vokey 58 deg P-Grind
    FT 3 Hybrid
    Scotty Cammeron Broomstick Red X2
    AUSBLAZE BERNESE MOUNTAIN DOGS

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Played WAGC (Yokine) for the first time today.

Lovely track. Very enjoyable. Challenging but fair. If you played it every week no doubt you could shoot some low scores.

Some amazing views over Perth and the hills. Bargain for $20 with a member!
    Naturally grippy

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    Played WAGC (Yokine) for the first time today.

Lovely track. Very enjoyable. Challenging but fair. If you played it every week no doubt you could shoot some low scores.

Some amazing views over Perth and the hills. Bargain for $20 with a member!
    told you it would be good, has to be one of the best conditioned courses in Australia.
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Played 18 out at Pt Walter (9 hole track) on Friday midday.....Yes I know, HOT!!!!....i'm a sucker for punishment....I call it commitment to the game I considered it a bit more conditioning than anything, not only did I battle the playing of the game but also the obvious 40+ degree heat and hydration rashioning too....surprisingly I hit my best game ever with a round of 93, putted terribly on the back 9 due to 7 of the greens having the sprinklers going whilst putting which was a touch distracting to say the least.

All in all quite an enjoyable track that's not overly difficult as there aren't too many greenside bunkers, adequate width fairways with bunkers in just the right/wrong places even for a slicer/fader like me & very good greens....the fairways are usually in very nice condition but were looking a bit burnt in areas due to the heat wave over the last couple of weeks, probably rate as med-hard under foot.

Best hole would have to be the 8th/17th, standing on the tee look left and you can see all the way down to the Freo wharf & beyond, follow the Swan River to Bicton then turn right of the tee and take in the City veiws. (Hit 250+m drives on this hole too both times round )
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Blog Entries

Good stuff Golfnut

Point Walter is an interesting track. AMAZING location, would be great is someone put in a few dollars into the course to change it from a budget public course to something a bit nicer (especially the greens).
    Naturally grippy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson View Post
    told you it would be good, has to be one of the best conditioned courses in Australia.
    Conditioning was not at 100% due to some recent changes to bunkering etc. Back 9 was in better nick as there were fewer changes. Hole #11 may be the most beautiful par 4 I have ever seen.

I was discussing the routing with the member, as there were so many safety issues in my opinion as a newcomer. Not that is really worries me, I was just curious if they had problems with it. He said that the club's opinion was to flatten out some of the fairways on the back 9, which to me sounded tragic. I hope they do not go down that road.
    Naturally grippy

Good stuff Golfnut

Point Walter is an interesting track. AMAZING location, would be great is someone put in a few dollars into the course to change it from a budget public course to something a bit nicer (especially the greens).
    Thanks mate.....I found the greens to be pretty good for a public track to tell you the truth (I know they've been puting a fair bit of work into them over the last 12months)........compared to Freo public, PW is gold
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Blog Entries

This just in:

The PGA has just contacted the club with the news that Bunbury Golf Club is in the last 3 to be voted the top course in WA by the professional golfers who have played WA in the last 12 months.The other two courses are Cottesloe and The Cut.
    Good news for Bunbury. I know the pros who play the SW Open down there are very complimentary, especially regarding the greens.
    Naturally grippy

I'm guessing these 3 courses are all private?!?!

Blog Entries

You can play The Cut, they have a $79 special going at the moment.

Bunbury GC will let green fee players on most of the time apart from comp times.
    Naturally grippy

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Hey guys,

not sure if i should start a new thread.
    Anyways, i am moving to Perth (just got offered a job), probably just after Easter and am toying with idea of joining a golf club and playing golf as my main sport, currently i play rugby and this leaves precious little time to play golf (saturdays are gone and sundays i am generally among the walking wounded).

I don't have a handicap and i am not a member anywhere at the moment, I have played quite a bit of golf since being made redundant at the beginning of Feb, through a corporate membership and social golf, and am quite enjoying myself.

Initially I will be staying in Cottesloe and then maybe around Nedlands (not sure but i have friends there) and working in Murdoch.

I will be playing rugby again at some time, maybe halfway through the season or next year, so i don't want to pay nomination fees only to terminate my membership after a year (once i am serious about playing heaps of golf -read hang my boots up- i might consider shelling out)

Anywhere of good value that is recommended.

Cheers

Blog Entries

That is a tough area for golf. All the courses are either full or expensive, and would require nominations.

Actually, apart from Kennedy Bay , most private courses in Perth will get you for nomination and IMO, overcharge for subs.

You might want to consider playing in a WAGL club. They are based at public courses, generally play Saturdays and you pay as you go. Your handicap will be WAGL affiliated, not AGU affiliated (however some courses are changing this). However, if playing golf is the main priority, it is a pretty good deal.

I played with a WAGL club for 2 years at Wembley, which is near Nedlands area, and enjoyed it very much. I feel like a members course is more rewarding to play week in, week out, but if you are fairly newish to golf that won't be a big thing to worry about yet.

Seaview is a 9 holer in Cottesloe that is not too expensive, but will still require a small nomination and you have to wait for 7 day playing rights.
    Naturally grippy

Not that new to golf, though i have never taken it seriously as i have always had other sport on which takes up too much time, so have only played socially til now (about 5-10 rounds a year), I typically shoot between the mid eighties to mid nineties depending on the day and the course.

Do Clubs allow you to pay fees pro Rata.

Adlo, i just looked at your Golflink, and i noticed you play at Kennedy Bay, do you live near there or do you commute.

The golf courses i play around here are Robina Woods and The colonial (both through the corporate membership) as well as Redlands, Gailes and Riverlakes (my parents live on the estate, but i am not a huge fan of the course).

I really like Redlands and Gailes.

Blog Entries

vovo,

I commute to Kennedy Bay. No joining fee and an irressistable re-opening offer. Reasonable subs too. I drive from the city (40 mins each way). However it is one of perths best tracks.

Perth tracks..... Mt Lawley, Yokine, Cottesloe etc will either not take new members or won't be interested in monthly payment of sub.

You'd be looking at "second tier" clubs like Hartfield, Gosnells, Lakelands etc. They would more than likely oblidge.
    Naturally grippy

Coming into Winter, many clubs do drop their nominations or reduce them. Hartfield Melville have reciprocal with about 5 other private clubs in Perth. I believe they are Gosnells, Royal Fremantle, Lakelands etc. I may be incorrect on those that I quote.

Sounds like a good deal when you can play multiple clubs for your one subscription. Melville is enjoyable. and out near Murdoch.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

vovo,

I commute to Kennedy Bay. No joining fee and an irressistable re-opening offer. Reasonable subs too. I drive from the city (40 mins each way). However it is one of perths best tracks.

Perth tracks..... Mt Lawley, Yokine, Cottesloe etc will either not take new members or won't be interested in monthly payment of sub.

You'd be looking at "second tier" clubs like Hartfield, Gosnells, Lakelands etc. They would more than likely oblidge.
    Stay away from Gosnells. Overpriced crap.

Kwinana is a sleeper. Very underrated course and also reasonably priced.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Stay away from Gosnells. Overpriced crap.

Kwinana is a sleeper. Very underrated course and also reasonably priced.
    Gosnells... agreed.

When are we playing Kwinana? I am sick of hearing about it.
    Naturally grippy

well it seems that Kwinana and KB seem to be the best value so far and both require a drive of similar distances and both about the same price. The other decent courses look like i will have to layout about 3-5k initially, though i do like the reciprocity deal these clubs have, can't see myself paying that much.

How do social clubs work, you play a different course each week and pay green fees?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vovo View Post
    well it seems that Kwinana and KB seem to be the best value so far and both require a drive of similar distances and both about the same price. The other decent courses look like i will have to layout about 3-5k initially, though i do like the reciprocity deal these clubs have, can't see myself paying that much.

How do social clubs work, you play a different course each week and pay green fees?
    Depends on the club. I played the same course each week, early Saturday mornings.

rebjon, another Ozgolfer, played with Cockburn WAGL for a year or two. They played Collier park every second week and rotated around other south of the river courses (Secret Harbour, Whaleback etc) the other week.

You just pay green fees. At our club we also payed a small comp fee and played for golf balls and wine prizes.

Kwinana will be 10-15 mins closer to Perth. I haven't played there, and while I have been told it is a nice parklands track, it will not be a Kennedy Bay.
    Naturally grippy

Blog Entries

vovo, if you want any more detailed info feel free to shoot me a PM.
    Naturally grippy

Mosman Park GC sounds like an option....
    ABOOTMAN

GRAMANG

Thread Information