Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 311 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: WA Golf Courses

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Ha.....the weekend rate for the Vines was $150 with a cart the last time I was there in August.....rip off if you ask me....

EDIT. Sorry, that was with light lunch voucher and range balls....still too pricey if you ask me
    Last edited by Golfnut; 1st December 2008 at 10:57 PM.
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson View Post
    no firing line, just curious about the comment. I know you didn't enjoy Joondalup but I'd rather play their than the Cut, the Vines or Araluen so each to their own
    No worries Bruce.

I can see how Joondalup would be a good challenge to play on a regular basis. I was a bit amazed at the size of the greens (nothing else like it in WA as far as I know). I just don't enjoy resort golf. I must admit, I think I am harsh on Joondalup. Anyone who loves resort golf would love it. It is the best resort golf course I have played.

The Cut is closer to the kind of golf I like, I just think i underachieves. The potential is there.

The Vines? Boring. A real shame that it hosts our only international tournaments.

Araluen is pretty good, but I haven't played there much. It had some really nice holes, but I found it a bit monotonous. Too many resort courses like Araluen and Vines (both 18's) feature an endless array of 340-380m par 4's with repetitive bunkering.
    Naturally grippy

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    par 4's with repetitive bunkering.
    All of which caught a sucker like me plenty of times

The back 9 of Araluen really does require you to hit the fairways as the bush & natives are extremely dense and line the fairways.....found quite a few nice balls whilst looking for mine.
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

good discussion, I've been fortunate to be in a position to play every golf course in Perth and I know that we get a pretty good deal in regards to price paid and condition of courses presented.
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Blog Entries

Bruce, I think you are right.

I would not bitch and moan if I was forced to only play Joondalup or Araluen for the rest of my life! It is only because we have some really nice courses in top condition that we can discuss preference for one over the other.

I had a conversation with another forum member about golf in Perth and we were polar opposites. He hated links style courses and loved resort golf. At the end of the day, we are fortunate to be able to have such a discussion, we live in an amazing part of the world for affordable golf.

Blog Entries

Richard, you need to have a cheap spare set of clubs over here so you can have a hit when you are in town. Get FLC to store them for you. Heck, you can throw them in my shed for all I care. It is crazy that all you do is walk these courses. I know it is your living, but you should try and have a few games over here.

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    Richard, you need to have a cheap spare set of clubs over here so you can have a hit when you are in town. Get FLC to store them for you. Heck, you can throw them in my shed for all I care. It is crazy that all you do is walk these courses. I know it is your living, but you should try and have a few games over here.
    He's too busy chasing cheap women and punting on dodgy horses

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    Trust me whenever I can squeeze in a game I do.
    I walked Binningup a few months ago and was frothing at the mouth. Hope we can be part of the new 9 there.

I've played Secret once or twice and always seem to enjoy myself there.
    I heard a rumour at my club on Sat that there is talk about another 18 being built at Binningup!

I hope that they don't tweak it too much.

I walked Binningup a few months ago and was frothing at the mouth. Hope we can be part of the new 9 there.
    I heard they were going to string you along right 'till the end, then hire James Wilcher.

Blog Entries

You ****..that cuts deep mate.

No wait..Jim has already done a project in WA so surely he can't get the gig.
    Ouch
    Naturally grippy

Blog Entries

Only another 9...but a tweak of the existing 9 to accommodate houses.
    How much tweaking are we talking? What holes other than 7 or 8 will be affected by housing?
    Naturally grippy

Blog Entries

Fair enough. If it is done well it could be better than the Cut. My main problem is that I learned how to play golf on that course (my old man lives in Australind). So I have fond memories of an untouched 9 hole course with no housing in site, and $5 green fees.

I hope justice will be served on such an amazing site.
    Naturally grippy

Blog Entries

Is that the planned area for the range and club house between #3 & #4? It is a bastard of a hill to walk, but it never ceases to put a smile on the face when you get up the top.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

diabolical...
    Last edited by TourFit; 3rd December 2008 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    diabolical...
    Adlo or 69er?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    diabolical...
    John, I thought you said you wanted to join some local forums to contribute.

Still waiting for the contribution here....
    Naturally grippy

Adlo

I have been away for a couple of days, so haven't had a chance to comment. I still think your judgement of the Cut is harsh, I think it is interesting and very different, however at $135, it wasn't anywhere near that two years ago when I played it, even I would baulk at playing, especially when judged against KB. Looking forward to expanding my list of Perth courses in January, or at least playing KB again. By the way I also think Albany is enjoyable.

Blog Entries

just, I appreciate your comments. Johnny Canuck has played the Cut more than me, and judges it far more harshly, so see him for further discussion

I have never played Albany, though I would like to. Have a hit at KB when you are in town, and see if there is anywhere else you want to check out. 2 of my favourite courses are Binningup and Bunbury, both a decent drive from Perth.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Here's something else for discussion. The rankings. Agree/Disagree? What's your own WA Top 5.

Golf Digest Rankings (WA):
    16. The Cut
    19. Lake Karrinyup
    20. Kennedy Bay
    22. Joondalup (Quarry-Dune)
    39. The Vines (Composite)
    63. Mount Lawley
    64. Secret Harbour??
    70. The Western Australian
    72. Spring Valley????
    75. Araluen
    78. Meadow Springs
    91. Albany
    98. Cottesloe

You certainly do appear to have some top courses. 4 courses are ranked above Queensland's best.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Here's something else for discussion. The rankings. Agree/Disagree? What's your own WA Top 5.

Golf Digest Rankings (WA):
    16. The Cut
    19. Lake Karrinyup
    20. Kennedy Bay
    22. Joondalup (Quarry-Dune)
    39. The Vines (Composite)
    63. Mount Lawley
    64. Secret Harbour??
    70. The Western Australian
    72. Spring Valley????
    75. Araluen
    78. Meadow Springs
    91. Albany
    98. Cottesloe

You certainly do appear to have some top courses. 4 courses are ranked above Queensland's best.
    My top 5
    Joondalup (q/d)
    Kennedy Bay
    Albany
    The Cut
    Secret Harbour (pre housing it would have been higher)

I judge The Cut harshly, based on the premium course that it markets itself as. The course itself is a paradox. It has a few great holes. I rate 12 one of my favorite holes anywhere. However, 11 is dumb, simply dumb. 17 is ridiculous as well. You have to play a mid to high iron off the tee, there is no other option unless you drive the green. I hit a ball so far right on that hole that I hit a provisional, only to get up and find my ball was just about OB on the left side. I love short par 4's, but that one is just plain dumb.

My top 5 would be:

1. Kennedy Bay - not a weak hole - hard as f*ck. I played Collier once, broke par. In 4 years I've broke par about 3 times at Kennedy, never in a comp. Any of the 18 holes can kill a good round.

1.5 Binningup - can't be in the official top 5 due to it being 9 holes, but the place is magical

2. Joondalup (Dunes/ Quarry) - great course to play skins at - some crazy "resort style" holes and almost "stupid" greens (had to chip 3 times in one round while on the green just to get to the hole), but unlike Adlo, I like that. Some holes would only be found in video games with the crazy design.

3. Vines (John's composite) Played the Ellenbrook (I believe), pretty easy, some good holes. The championship course is better, easy to find a good 18 when you have 36 to choose from

4. Meadow Springs - not spectac or overly difficult by any means, but I always enjoy the track. No real weak holes, except 13 and 14 are back to back short par 4's. 11 remains the only hole that I have ever hit a putt into a water hazard.

5. The Cut - see below - changed my mind. It is better than Cottesloe

6. Cottesloe - best greens I have putt on in the last 10 years. I have only played it once and may be a little biased because I won the Presidents/Captains/Vice Captains day, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, when I didn't think I would.

Honorable Mention and other course comments:

Dunborough Country Club (sand greens, crap fairways, but quite possibly the best designed golf course I have ever played)

Dunsborough Lakes - enjoyable, but wide open and easy. The back nine is nice. Hopefully the reno's go well and improve it.

I haven't played Lake Karrinyup, but everyone tells me it is great. Never heard a bad thing about the place.

Secret Harbour is overrated. Houses have hurt it's setup. Holes 1, 15 and 17 are painfully crap. Holes 4, 5 and 18 are fantastic, but painful to my scorecard. 8 is a sweet par 3.

The Vines wasn't overly impressive, but a composite course could be pretty good (if I can choose my holes).

I would love to play Albany because it looks and sounds like my kind of track.

The Cut almost made the top five and could be subbed for Cottesloe quitely easily. I don't hate it, just a few holes. I will go and play it again soon a post an updated review after all I have said. Now in the 5. Last minute edit.

The West Australian - nice, but shouldn't be rated where it is.

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Some good comments about courses mentioned but i would like to add another. Hartfield is a members course but is open to the public mon and tues, i was a member there for about 2 years while living in perth. When they secured the head green keeper from the Vines the course came on leaps and bounds. Admitterly i haven't lived in perth now for 4 years so have no idea what condition it is in now but if you want a good test of golf for under $40 dollars you could do a lot worst. Hi to all our WA members.

I am interested in Hartfield myself as I'll be moving closer to that area in the next year. WIll have to get out for a game with Simmsy at some point.

Blog Entries

OK, my top 5 would be

Binningup- if there is a more enjoyable course in WA I would like to play it. Love the 3 par 3, 3 par 4 and 3 par 5 combo.
    Kennedy Bay- best layout I have ever played. Rewards smart golf. Unlike anything else in WA. Great mix of short and long 4's. Best set of par 3's.
    Bunbury- best greens I have seen. Challenging layout. Tests the tee game unlike no other.
    Secret Harbour- unfortunately getting worse with age. Too much housing has changed the feel of the course. Nice layout, and really enjoyable. A few stupid holes, but forgivable.
    Araluen/Meadow Springs- Hard to call. I have played Meadow Springs more often and have found the enjoyment fading, but maybe that is becasue the conditioning has really slipped for a course that prided itself on the condition. Araluen is a breath taking course. Enjoyable too. Nice undulations and a few beautiful holes.

I need to play Lake Karrinyup, Cottesloe and WA Golf Club. I have a game coming up at WAGC soon, but I dont think it would crack the top 5.

The Cut is admittedly judged harshly by me. Will head back soon to re-assess.

Joondalup is a resort golf lovers dream. Unfortunately, not my preference. However, excellent condition, facilities, and is one of Perths finest. Another course I judge harshly.

Mt Lawley is a nice track. Have only been able to play once and I am keen to see it after the renovations are finished. I can imagine it should be beautiful once complete.

The Vines is ranked WAY too high. It is a good quality course, but all in all, pretty boring. A good course, but I don't rate it anywhere near a course like KB.

We have some excellent courses. It is this fact that allows me to form my opinions on some top tracks like The Cut and Joondalup. All our courses in the top 100 that I have played are excellent quality. I like the mix of resort/parkland/links courses. Keeps us all happy.... and keeps the crowds away from Kennedy Bay.
    Last edited by adlo; 4th December 2008 at 10:18 AM.

Thread Information