Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Christmas Day '08

What's your plans ?

Something different this year or just the same old shindig with the rellies coming over for lunch/dinner and a few coldies ??

I'm not sure what my family is doing this year (or even if i'm going to be there due to work) but we usually head over to someones place and just lounge around eating and drinking most of the day ..... it's a great time to catch up with family that you don't get the chance to see very often.
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Well for once I am off for Xmas so will be heading to the oldies place up at Cooloola Cove for a few days off boozing and relaxing

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I married into an Italian family.

My xmas will consist of eating and drinking to much at lunchtime, sleeping all afternoon then doing the same that night.

"That former Solahart manager is so overbearing and intimidating"."

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

We'll do the family (parents, brother, etc.) stuff the weekend before at a decent restaurant, so everyone can spend Xmas day with the inlaws, etc.

No inlaws, so I'll spend lunch at the golf club car park keeping the trespassers away, and allow the committee men a chance to have lunch with their families. Then the arvo/evening being a surrogate uncle for friends' kids, who don't have relos in Sydney.

Still can't work out why the new Australians (often in Merc and BMW) think that they can freely use a private golf course, because it is a public holiday. (Worse is someone making a big quid out with a busload of Koreans, crawling around north shore golf clubs, looking for an opportunity.) Parasites.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Another that has Xmas day off for once. I will more than likely be doing the early start to Rachelle's Dad's place then off to my Parents for a Arvo feed and Drink. Probably stay at Mum & Dad's the night.
    Will be a tough Xmas for my Mum, her 1st without her Mum. Last year was hard enough when Nan did not come home from the Nursing Home for the 1st time.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Not sure who is hosting this year. All I know is, it isn't me.

We usually gather as many friends and relatives as we can to get together for the day.
    Present Frenzy is about 11 where we do all the handing out in one big orgy or gift giving - I think my eldest will be in charge of that this year and it will be a proud moment for me a the reigns get passed to her that started with me about 30 years ago.

Massive lunch and lazy afternoon. We don't go for the hot lunch most years unless the Mother-in-law is hosting. Salads, seafood, BBQ, cold meats etc are the norm - anyone who cooks a roast when things are over 30C is an idiot.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Salads, seafood, BBQ, cold meats etc are the norm - anyone who cooks a roast when things are over 30C is an idiot.
    Good point Bruce.

My family insists on traditional foods like hot roasts/chicken etc. even though it's always stinking hot

I might have to try and start a new trend this year

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Can't we just skip it this year and move on to 2009.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I had Christmas lunch at my place last year. I did the roast outside on the BBQ to keep the heat out of the house. Even still, 30 people inside the living room gave the aircon a good workout.

Couldn't be arsed this year, so am gonna go up to Mum's in T-bar.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Driving up for Fundaberg bright an early xmas day. Will be there for Breakfast and then on the piss with the brothers all day. Cold lunch. Always has been, and always will be. Roast for lunch on a summers day is just nuts IMO!

Blog Entries

Should have added it will be a seafood lunch for us.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

We are hosting my parents and brother, and Mrs SMS' mother and her husband.

Actually, I should say Mrs SMS is hosting and I am looking after the beverages.
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by haysey View Post
    I married into an Italian family.

My xmas will consist of eating and drinking to much at lunchtime, sleeping all afternoon then doing the same that night.
    Seconded.

However Boxing Day is another story... usually consists of a boozy (air-conditioned) Poker game with the cricket on the tele.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Beers, prawns and bugs for me, at the outlaws place. May bbq a fish depending on how I am feeling also.

How different is xmas once you have kids though, I will probably abstain from having an absolute gutfull on xmas day and let the wife hit it big time... But boxing day is all mine, cricket, more prawns and an esky in the lounge room.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

At mum and dad's place in T-bar! I love christmas.... especially with the nieces and nephews as they seem to go off! It's just about kicking back and having a beer with the family for me.

We just get the whole family together at my place every year, kinda boring really. This times different cos Dad is on his last legs, all we got now is just hoping he makes it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Going to a friends place for Breaky, doing penance and tolerating the In Laws for lunch followed by a veg out Xmas Night.

Then suffer hangover and clean up Boxing Day

Now New Years Eve is a different story!!!!!!!!!

We won't be doing much. The last few years we've had to travel half-way across the country just to suit everyone else.
    Screw everyone else! I'm buying a Weber in December, and will be roasting at least 3 animals on the day.
    Might even sneak in 9 holes to start the day.
    Desert Golfer

We are host this year, my wife's two ex'ers, my two ex'ers, our/theirs 12 kids, all the grand parents, my three brothers & wives (no kids thank god) my wife's brother and two sisters and their kids and one or two strays. Always look forward to Christmas.
    Just kidding!!!!!

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I look forward to floating around in the pool and doing bugger all. Might have the 'lations round, but will probably do something the Sunday before.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Well it looks like i've kicked a goal with my roster and will now have the whole week of Christmas OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beers aplenty i reckon

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I thought this thread was going to be about golf on Christmas Day.

I actually did play golf on Xmas Day once. It was the only year I have ever worked the day, and me and another guy went to New Brighton after our shift and slipped around a quick 18. There were about 8 other groups/pairs on the course.

My Christmas will be the same as it has been for the last five years, a 7 hour drive on Xmas Eve to Narrabri, a couple of days with my mum, my sister and her family, then another long drive home again.

I'm hoping for the full roast turkey and baked vegies for dinner, then polish off the leftovers for lunch the next day. That is my absolute favourite meal of the year.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Banned

Dont care what i do on xmas day this year as long as the kids have fun Plus is the first time in ten years i dont have to work for any of the holiday period so just cant wait. What ever happens am sure it will be great as long as i see my family.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Same as usual this year.

Brunch with my mum & family. However, there will be a few more of us this year with my brother and his wife back from Melbourne for good, one auntie and her son back from China and another auntie back from NT. Full house after a very small Xmas bash last year.

Then over to my parents in law for dinner (at 5:30pm) for a roast. Every year. They are English/Irish and don't know any other way. Considering the brunch is basically a grazing fest all morning, I am never that inspired by Xmas dinner.

Played golf one Xmas morning a few years back with my brother. I think we were the only 2 people on the course.

Well the ex and kids will be in Perth this year, so it's golf and more golf for me

If you start out depressed everything’s kind of a pleasant surprise.
    WITB: stuff.

Thread Information