Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Matchplay tips

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Matchplay tips

As yo may or may not know, I have matchplay on Sunday against the sneakiest player in the club. I have 99% of the ladies membership supporting me to win on this one- they say after what happened, if the shoe was on the other foot, my opponent would be claiming a forfeit from me (for game not played by the due date). They have warned me to make sure she isn't talking about her golf swing or any shots with her hubby (who is playing with Brad in the same group as us - they are playing comp - me - only matchplay). They have warned me to also call the Clubhouse to lodge a complaint if her hubby says intimidating words.

Hi everyone - what are your best tips for matchplay?

Here is a little about my opponent:
    1. She loves to walk super fast - power walking up the fairway to be next to her ball before you've even put your club away!
    2. Hockey-style swing - short and jerky
    3. Handicap - 15/16/17 - not too sure - I will check on Saturday

What I've thought of so far:
    1. Walk normally to my ball, chat to the other players in my group about inconsequential stuff
    2. Make her replay every shot she makes out of turn
    3. Every time she hits into the rough, follow her and make sure she takes correct relief
    4. Don't mark my ball unless she asks
    5. Don't remove the flag stick, just attend, unless she asks
    6. Only give her really short putts and only on flat greens (we have a few slopey monsters)
    7. Show no emotion at a bad shot.
    8. "Wow - this green is really fast - I barely touched it"
    9. If she hands in a comp card afterwards, call for her to be DQd (or should I do this mid-way during the round - or should I warn her beforehand?)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Good luck Amanda go get her

I agree with 1,3,6, and 7 about 9 with her playing comp...I would let her play comp...then she has to make every Putt

I like number 7 the most "no emotion at the bad ones" you are vever out of the hole, never !!!!! until both balls are in the hole.

Let your natural swing happen. Don't think on the course....all the thinking about the swing happens on the range....if you know what I mean

Senior Member Major Winner

Amanda - just play your game. If you stop and think about any of these mind games, you'll find yourself wondering "was that a trick?" when in fact it wasn't. If her hubby comments, just smile and say thanks. If she power-walks, that's fine - as long as your not having a 5+ hour round, you can play to your own schedule.

Just don't stoop to her level, and don't go in with this pre-defined idea of how she will upset you. And if you're unsure of putts to give - don't give any. Of course, reciprocate what she gives you.

Point 9 - comp card? She can play the match-play, and then go around again in comp i think? She cannot count her match round as comp, and she cannot play a comp round before the match, as that's presumed to be 'practice'. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong here.

I can't believe how narky the women at your club are? How many of them, 20 or something?

At the end of the day, it's you vs her at GOLF. Good luck, and let the best (and most improved? ) golfer win!
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

amanda....

I hate to say this, but it sounds like she's already got you...mentally...
    I know it's damn difficult, but you really shouldn't be analyzing her....esp so many days before your actual game...

it'll be good if you can somehow find something or someone to distract you in btw shots...
    that was the problem I had when I was playing my matchplay....was focusing too much on my game, and my opponents game....whereas when I play social/comp stroke play, I'm usually more relaxed, and let go during shots...
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Amanda Wrote,
    I contributed about 5 3-pointers, 1x4 pointer (par on the hardest hole where I get 2 shots) and 2-pointers the rest of the time.
    Check out this form what are you worried about I think she will be doing all the thinking about you

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Sounds a bit too serious to me.
    I would just go out there and play my own game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan
    Point 9 - comp card? She can play the match-play, and then go around again in comp i think? She cannot count her match round as comp, and she cannot play a comp round before the match, as that's presumed to be 'practice'. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong here.
    Wrong way round. You are able to practice/play on the course before matchplay, but not before a comp.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    Wrong way round. You are able to practice/play on the course before matchplay, but not before a comp.
    An argument was occurring at my course Pro Shop a couple of weeks ago for the quarters, i thought the explaination was that if you play the comp you will have seen the entire course once, therefore you are unfit to play matchplay?
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    An argument was occurring at my course Pro Shop a couple of weeks ago for the quarters, i thought the explaination was that if you play the comp you will have seen the entire course once, therefore you are unfit to play matchplay?
    No, you can definitely play on the course before matchplay. But you definitely can not play or practice (even a putt or chip) on the course before stroke play. Rule 7-1.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Amanda.....

You have nothing to worry about.....You are a fantastic player, that is what got you to the finals anyway... She'll be pooing her pants because she already knows that everyone dislikes her gamesmanship...

As for her hubby playing with you two , I think that it would only serve to pee her off, not you.... They would have already discussed tactics and he'll probably get them wrong and screw up her game.

You have got it all over her, in confidence and INTEGRITY & HONESTY... Karma will bring you the win you deserve.

You go girl... and keep that Chin up....

Good Luck

Keza

Default Re: Matchplay tips

Quote Originally Posted by amanda
    What I've thought of so far:
    1. Walk normally to my ball, chat to the other players in my group about inconsequential stuff
    3. Every time she hits into the rough, follow her and make sure she takes correct relief
    6. Only give her really short putts and only on flat greens (we have a few slopey monsters)
    9. If she hands in a comp card afterwards, call for her to be DQd (or should I do this mid-way during the round - or should I warn her beforehand?)
    Amanda

I hate to say it, but some of your ideas are poor ettiquette. Always mark your ball on the green. Do not say stuff like "My this green is fast". Always remove the flag when tending it, if she beats you then turns in her comp card, who cares? Shes already beat you, begging for a DQ is weak. If you have doubts that she'll make a putt, get her to putt it, but if you know she'll make it, give it to her.

Feel free to make her replay a shot if she played out of turn AFTER you've asked her to not do it. Give her one chance, then call her on it. Let her walk as fast as she wants, just do what you normally do.

DON'T FOLLOW HER INTO THE ROUGH. That takes your mind off your shot, and just plain looks like poor sportsmanship. If you have doubts of her relief, then ask her about it, but be sure you know exactly what you think she did wrong and what the correct alternative is. If there is any doubt, have her play 2 balls and let the pro decide which is right after the round.

If her husband tries to intimidate you, laugh at him. Loudly. Ask him straight up if he is trying to intimidate you. Make him look stupid because he is if he does that. Why some guy would follow his wife around and try and intimidate her opponent is beyond me. Must have a small...never mind....

Let her talk to her husband about her swing or shots.....At your level, it's REALLY not going to make a big difference anyway. He could tell her "hit it here and shape it like this" but do you really think she'll be able to? Not likely. Chances are it'll do more harm then good.

Honestly, the only one of your ideas that is good, and it's REALLY good, is to not show emotion after a bad shot. Or a good shot. Watch Annika, she makes a birdie or bogey, no change...Just get the job done.

I know you're new at this, and my answers might sound harsh, but I've played hundreds of matches in my time and have seen it all. The only way to play match play is the same as you'd play medal play, with good ettiquette and by the rules. That way win or lose, you know you've done the best you can. The rest of that stuff is just mind game and dirty pool. Let her pull that crap and stay above board.

Play well on the weekend, fairways and greens.......

Sincerly

Rob Speirs
    Fat, drunk, and five-over-par is no way to go through life, son.

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Burner TP 14.5 Ozik 8M2 X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    Callaway X-Forged 4 Dot 4-PW PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 50*, 54*, 58* PX 6.5
    YES! Dianna

Amanda.....No...... I mean Rob.... um ... I don't really agree with all the things you have just said.....

Emotion is a good thing.... Tiger Woods.. fist pumpin'

Sometimes you gotta be the b*tch... and call the rules, that's what match play is... mind games...... I may not have the worldly experience that you do Rob, but I have played Matchplay for five years and can confidently say that in 5 yrs I have lost 2 games.... (to the same lady.... she has this mind game she plays me with each time)... 2 games in 5yrs..

It's easy for a bloke to say those things but mate, when you play against a lady, you can usually be playin' a B*tch.... and most men should know what a vendictive B*itch can be like... everything you do is wrong... Most men don't play like that, women do...!

You go Amanda

Keza

Keza

So what you are saying is that if you are playing a bitch, it's ok to break rules (tending the flag and not pulling it against the rules), or exhibit poor sportsmanship in the name of "mind games"?

If she breaks the rules during a match, then call her on it. But if it is an ettiquette rule such as the playing out of turn rule, or turning in a card after the match is decided, is it worth the hassle? This is not the Solheim Cup we are talking about, it is a local club match play. Is it worth being "that other bitch who called that rule on the other bitch"? I doubt it.

Mind games at the highest level are great. Mind games at the club level are just plain useless (and that includes Pennants, if you are wondering, if someone acts like that when I play them at Pennants, I just shake my head and laugh). Is this match worth being someone you wouldn't want to play against? If you were playing someone, and they acted in a manner that you are suggesting Amanda act, would you play with her again? I doubt it. Golf is a game of honour and sportsmanship, especially at the level that we are talking about. Add to the fact that if Amanda is worrying about doing all these other things, like following her opponent into the rough, and if shes going to mark her ball or not, do you think she's going to be concentrating on her own game?

Amanda, go out and play however you like. Just think, "How would I react if someone did this while I was playing"?

Just my $.02

Rob

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    YES! Dianna

goughy

I've only really played a few rounds of matchplay in my life. But I've enjoyed them all. The first time I got clobbered (by 5 or 6 holes), but after I'd lost we decided to play the other holes, we were having a good time.

Another time was our clubs semi-finals in b grade. I ended up playing one of my regular weekly partners and mate. He had me by 1 shot on hc so it was an even match. He hit the ball short but always in the middle. Me, just ask anyone here who's played with me, straight is not my forte.

Anyway, he got me on the 20th hole. I went par par on the 19th and 20th to his par birdie (on a par 3 which is one of our most difficult holes too). He played the final a week later, winning by like 8 or 10 holes.

I was happy for him, and our round was a barrel of fun.

Just remember, the sheep stations not on it. It's not work, it's fun, so go out and have fun. You may win, you may lose, but at least you'll prove you're the better person. And you'll be content with yourself.

The one thing I've learned is recently is that it's just golf. If I want to be stressed out and annoyed I'll go to work.

Now go have some fun

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Is it me, or is it getting hot in here?

Rob, I've played with Amanda a few times, and her etiquette is very good. I think she was saying half the things in jest. Right, Amanda? I just can't imagine Amanda being a ... well ... the "B" word.

Amanda, play well and I'm sure you'll do fine. Matchplay is a whole new ball game, and certain level of "gamesmanship" is OK, as long as it's not unsportsmanlike conduct.

Good luck.

Amanda - my opinion of you is of a nice, caring person - I would hate to see that shattered by this 'dirty' matchplay talk ! - I think you should follow my simple golf philosophy - are you ready ?

1 - imagine that you will win and get a mental picture of yourself partying on with victory fresh in your mind

2 - as a backup stock your fridge with plenty of booze before you leave home so that if the worst occurs you can relax in the knowledge that when you get home , tired and depressed, at least you don't have to wait to get really $hitfaced and forget the days events

NB - both these strategies have the same end result , so no matter what happens there is NO chance of remembering it in the morning.

damoocow

Jono

Thats exactly what I'm saying. Why would Amanda want to become this poor-sport-bitch for the sake of winning some club match play? Thats simply not her, and would do more harm then good, both to her (impeccable) reputation AND her golf. Simply not worth it. My comments were meant to encourage her to do what she'd normally do, not resort to tricks and mind games that losers with no game rely on to win matches that truely mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If anyone wants examples, let me know. I've got thousands......

Rob

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    YES! Dianna

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Re: Matchplay tips

Great Stuff Mini, but you shouldnt be 'planning' to do any of this stuff. If the situation occurs, then do it becuase its your right, its the rules, its common ettiquette, not for gamesmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by amanda
    1. Walk normally to my ball,
    walk at your natural speed. If thats slower than her, then she may well walk faster to try and unsettle you. There is no need for you to deliberately slow down your walking pace, but if you have to tie your shoelace, do it and dont feel intimidated by her own speed of play. If its your shot and she is at her ball already and you havent reached yours, she may well get frustrated. her problem not yours.

chat to the other players in my group about inconsequential stuff
    thats what you do here right?

i see no need to chat to your opponent about anything. In my times I have totally ignored an opponent, other times we get on like a house on fire. it just depends if you click or not, and whether there is anyone else around. In this case, it sounds like there is no need to talk to her at all.

On the other hand, lets say if your a chatterbox, and she is not, bore her to death with inane chatter. Why should you change the way you normally play golf ?

dont go thinking about this, its happened to me once in 20+years of matchplay, so the chances of it happening to you are Nix. If she hits out of turn, you make a carefull judgement of whether recalling her shot. If she hits it into the pond, you obviously are not going to recall it. However dont be intimidated - if she hits out of turn, and hits a good shot - recall it, dont be shy.

Also consider what happens if there is no certainty who is furthest from the hole. Dont ask her who she thinks is away (whoever says that has lost), just say "looks like its mine", if she objects then ask opinion of the others in the group, or decide by coin toss (as per the rules).

however, dont cheat, only claim it as your shot if you think it is.

if she hits it into the mulga, sure follow her in. If its your shot next, you really must see what her recovery options are, as it affects your own strategy.

If she is taking any siort of relief she has to inform you what she is doing, its a given you are going to observe that anyway.

but no need her into the rough - you can see from where you are whats going on. Unless of course your hunting for Brads ball in the mulga - again.

there is no rule that says you have to mark your ball when its her turn to put. If you have putted close enough for her to give you a gimme, and she doesnt. Sure, dont mark it, dont even go near it. Wait for her to say something. when she does, of course you say "sure, i;ll mark it if you like" Its not your fault she didnt give it to you

Thats proper ettiquette, no problem there. By the same token, if she removes the flagstick without asking you, ask her to put it back. Again this is a dont be intimidated thing. Dont by shy.

dont go looking for making her putt very short putts, if its a gimme, give it to her. If there is a chance she will miss it, make her putt. The old theory about give them some longer ones early, and then make them putt shorter ones is bull shit.

I can recall a match last year, in which i had given the gentlemen a couple of 3 footers or so. Why, because i beleived they were gimmes for him. I remember him making the comment that i was a gentleman.

Also you give gimmes only in certain contexts. I am less likely to give a putt if its for a win.

Does that mean no cartwheels after birdies either. Dont hold back.
    I cant really see you showing no emotion, i am sure the occasional friggin-eck will pop out. Its not a good idea to curb your natural emotions.

On the other hand, if you give the impression you are playing great golf, then it will impact on your opponent. So be cool is the plan. Say it out aloud how well you are playing (to brad). She will hear you.

yeah, the oldest gamesmanship rule in the book. Dont even think about it, if you do then you are a big chance to sucker yourself into belting that put.

You woudl be far better off saying nothing, goodtime to apply strategy # 7. Then your opponent doesnt know if you belted it too hard, or the green is to fast.

9. If she hands in a comp card afterwards,
    too late mate. After you left the final hole of your match, the result of your match has already been declared. And what thehell was the starter doing collecting her comp fee in the first instance.

call for her to be DQd (or should I do this mid-way during the round -
    didnt you pick up her ball and toss it back to her when you gave her a putt.

Without thinking about it too hard, she would only be DQ from the competition game, not from your matchplay, assuming that matchplay rules situations have overridden the competition, ie gimmes.

or should I warn her beforehand?
    if you know thats what she is doing, then politely inform her that you are not playing in the competition as well because that contravenes the rules. That way you are not making out that your waving the rules in her face. Let her decide how she takes that.

Dont go looking for this situation. If she is dumb enough let her. There is no penalty for 'chipping and putting around the last green she has played. If she hits shots from the fairway, then thats probably a breach of Rule "practice between holes" whatever number that is.

Mandy, Its great to see how your thinking, not many 'young' golfers would have come up with half that stuff. I know that deep down in your heart your only thinking out loud, and want to learn.

I reiterate my point i made a few times. Dont be intimidated by any of your opponents actions, Speak up - not because of gamesmanship, but because of honour and ettiquette.

A perfect example is the opponent who pulls the flag and tosses it on the ground without asking when its your putt. If you would like it in, Say it!
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am not usually a matchplay "tactics" person - but then after the sh*t-storm that has existed since Monday, I thought "better to think about these things now than get flustered on the course when they happen". That way, I don't worry about it during the match.

The plan for this week - think about my own game Our driving range mat arrived yesterday and my pitching/chipping has much improved - I can land the ball within 2 feet of a spot I pick. The net will go up tonight too for practicing full shots.

Mau - good idea about something to take my mind off golf - I might bring some journal articles I've been reading for my PhD.

Blakey - ok - the happy emotions will come out - I don't know about the cartwheel though - the happy dance definitely!

I think I've been getting a little over-serious compared to my normal preparation - mainly because everyone I spoke to yesterday has said "go out and beat this cheater" - it's a lot of pressure - I hope I can handle it!

Big thanks to Keri - the 7 rules are great

If worst comes to worst, smack her down with your driver and dispose of her in the lake...

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

im with you damoocow. play your best with a big smile on your dial amanda. good luck!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. h.s.t.
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and Gates.

Wavemaker\'s Golflink

Amanda.........I agree with most of the things already said. Don't sink to her level and don't let all the other women in the club get in your ear and vent out their frustration with this women on you. IT is not up to you to avenge their anger - you've got enough pressure on you without having to carry everyone elses also.
    Play your own game - don't worry about tatics etc - and enjoy.
    Good luck
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Member Teaching Pro

Who won??

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Geez... Talk about digging up old posts!!!

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Member Teaching Pro

It needs an ending!!

I think I ended up winning the matchplay to get to the next round, but from memory I went down in the final 1up - I can't remember back that far!

Thread Information