Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28 68 73 74 75 76 77 78
Results 1,926 to 1,943 of 1943
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    So after a couple of weeks of recent back pain and drama which has sorted itself out far quicker than i thought it ever would I've decided to lose some unneeded kilo's.

Back in the day i just used to diet a bit and jog 5k's every second day among other things but i'm past those days. More recent but still many many years ago i hit the gym for 6 years or so and was in great shape but i don't overly want to do that at this stage of life either.

So it's time for a bike. My last MTB was about 15 years ago and not worth fixing up.

I just want an entry level piece and have scoured reviews the last week or so. I'm only going to commute mostly around town with maybe a little country road riding for a change of pace. Won't be flat out racing down the local mountain tracks anytime soon (tho i might get excite and do some touring around the hills) so a basic unit is good.

I've pretty much settled on the Trek Marlin 5. I would have looked at 4 but reasonably local stores have none in and bike stock like so much else is backlogged due to covid etc so i'm not keen to wait 4 or so months when there are other options. After much checking it seems a good pick against the Giant ATX/Talon 3, Norco Storm 5 and a couple of others i was looking at and should do much more than i need.
    I'd spend a little extra and go the Norco Storm 2 for the simple fact you pick up the 1x drivetrain (a massive improvement over the 3x drivetrain). If you are happy to wait a little, the Aldi hardtail was amazing bang for buck at $450. 1x drivetrain, and made by Polygon (decent brand) they were an absolute steal. No idea when they'll do them again though.

And just for funzies, this is the first pic I have had taken of me while I ride. Luckily my wheels were in the air.

And I have been loving the mountain biking for the last year. I currently have 2 bikes - a Norco fluid dual suspension, and a scott scale hardtail.

Both are in process of being replaced. A Banshee Prime will be replacing the fluid (picking up some more travel), and a Norco Torrent will replace the Scott.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I'd spend a little extra and go the Norco Storm 2 for the simple fact you pick up the 1x drivetrain (a massive improvement over the 3x drivetrain). If you are happy to wait a little, the Aldi hardtail was amazing bang for buck at $450. 1x drivetrain, and made by Polygon (decent brand) they were an absolute steal. No idea when they'll do them again though.
    Thanks Benno, i was hoping you might chime in after reading your mountain bike story earlier and part of the reason i posted was to see what others thought.

Ironically I've been waiting on an Aldi for about 6 months!! My mate got one and raves about it so i looked them up and sure enough they are an incredible bargain.

This gives me a bit more to think about. Just checking the Treks and the 1x doesn't start until much higher in the price range with the 7.

Looks like Giant kick in at the Talon 1 which looks absolutely amazing in the black and blue. What do you think of that bike Benno?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/talon-1
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

If you're gonna do more commuting than off road, have you thought about a gravel bike?? I know people even tie the rail trail on them.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    If you're gonna do more commuting than off road, have you thought about a gravel bike?? I know people even tie the rail trail on them.
    I know where you are coming from and it's logical but i'm really keen on a MTB Goughy. I think i will morph into a bit more country riding than i anticipate.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thanks Benno, i was hoping you might chime in after reading your mountain bike story earlier and part of the reason i posted was to see what others thought.

Ironically I've been waiting on an Aldi for about 6 months!! My mate got one and raves about it so i looked them up and sure enough they are an incredible bargain.

This gives me a bit more to think about. Just checking the Treks and the 1x doesn't start until much higher in the price range with the 7.

Looks like Giant kick in at the Talon 1 which looks absolutely amazing in the black and blue. What do you think of that bike Benno?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/talon-1
    Yeah nothing wrong with the Giant's at all, same with the better spec trek. There are a lot of companies that make bikes at that $900-$1100 price range with 1x drivetrain.

The Marlin 7 and Talon 1 look very similar spec wise.

IMO, there are 3 things that make a good intro bike:
    1x drivetrain (Deore 10, 11 or 12sp are the pick)
    Air forks (much easier setup correctly for your weight)
    Hydraulic brakes

Without going through all the different brands, spec levels seem fairly equivalent for the price. Most would be made by Giant or Merida anyway.

If you are ok with buying online, this might be an option too:

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/20...-mountain-bike

Yeah nothing wrong with the Giant's at all, same with the better spec trek. There are a lot of companies that make bikes at that $900-$1100 price range with 1x drivetrain.

The Marlin 7 and Talon 1 look very similar spec wise.

Hydraulic brakes

Without going through all the different brands, spec levels seem fairly equivalent for the price. Most would be made by Giant or Merida anyway.

If you are ok with buying online, this might be an option too:

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/20...-mountain-bike
    The advice is really appreciated Benno. I had picked up that air forks and hydraulic brakes front and rear was a good upgrade but had no idea about the drivetrain. I will see if the Talon 1 is in stock locally. By going a bit upscale from where i was i will be covered no matter what i want to tackle now. Cheers.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I hate to be that guy but.... I have a friend with a Trek Marlin 5 and I personally wouldn't use that bike for what you described: "I'm only going to commute mostly around town with maybe a little country road riding"

The suspension will be useless to you and just excess weight. I would get something in a "gravel" spec, or even just a flatbar hybrid with a relaxed position and room for some bigger rubber.

I personally prefer drop bar bikes for all but pure offroad, not because I am some weapon that rides in the drops all day, but moreso the many hand positions to adjust as I ride. MTBs on the road just suck, and road bikes on a big downhill also suck. But if your brief is accurate: rolling around town, with a few country roads, then an MTB is the last thing you need.

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    I hate to be that guy but.... I have a friend with a Trek Marlin 5 and I personally wouldn't use that bike for what you described: "I'm only going to commute mostly around town with maybe a little country road riding"

The suspension will be useless to you and just excess weight. I would get something in a "gravel" spec, or even just a flatbar hybrid with a relaxed position and room for some bigger rubber.

I personally prefer drop bar bikes for all but pure offroad, not because I am some weapon that rides in the drops all day, but moreso the many hand positions to adjust as I ride. MTBs on the road just suck, and road bikes on a big downhill also suck. But if your brief is accurate: rolling around town, with a few country roads, then an MTB is the last thing you need.
    Appreciate the insights Henno. The more i think about it the more chance i will venture into the local hills more often than i think. Apparently there's some great riding around. I've got a ute i'd be able to throw the bike in the back of and get off the bitumen.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Appreciate the insights Henno. The more i think about it the more chance i will venture into the local hills more often than i think. Apparently there's some great riding around. I've got a ute i'd be able to throw the bike in the back of and get off the bitumen.
    If that's the case, an MTB will be what you are after - the 'M' stands for mountain after all.
    I personally wouldn't look towards an MTB until I was more than 50% offroad, and even then only if there were rocks and drops.
    With all that said, any bike is better than no bike so whatever gets you up and moving is a winner.

I agree with pretty much everything benno says here though, with possibly the exception of the 1x drivetrain. They are very on-trend right now in both the MTB and gravel worlds and for good reason but a front derallier is not exactly a hindrance in most cases, so are hardly a deal-breaker, particularly for your planned usage. In fact, I would argue that a 2x is probably more fit for purpose for those commute trips around town. If I could only pick two out of three, it would be hydro brakes and air foks, then daylight, then a 1x setup.

Hydraulic brakes
    Last edited by henno; 26th April 2021 at 12:15 PM. Reason: wrong word

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    If that's the case, an MTB will be what you are obviously - the 'M' stands for mountain after all.
    I personally wouldn't look towards an MTB until I was more than 50% offroad, and even then only if there were rocks and drops.
    With all that said, any bike is better than no bike so whatever gets you up and moving is a winner.

I agree with pretty much everything benno says here though, with possibly the exception of the 1x drivetrain. They are very on-trend right now in both the MTB and gravel worlds and for good reason but a front derallier is not exactly a hindrance in most cases, so are hardly a deal-breaker, particularly for your planned usage. In fact, I would argue that a 2x is probably more fit for purpose for those commute trips around town. If I could only pick two out of three, it would be hydro brakes and air forks, then daylight, then a 1x setup.
    Really appreciate the help from you guys mate. I've learnt heaps just in these few posts.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

As everyone knows, I like to active brag.

Just built up my new bike, and I couldn't be happier after my first ride. Few little tweaks required to the suspension, but other wise super happy with it.

Banshee Prime v3 (135mm rear travel)
    Manitou Mezzer forks
    Fox dpx2 shock
    Shimano XT brakes and 12sp drivetrain
    Funn bar/stem
    Spank 29er wheels
    Goodyear Newton tires

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

nice
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

You love to tinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    You love to tinker.
    You bet i do...

No2 already in build stage.

That's awesome.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

You bet i do...

No2 already in build stage.

Benno's Bikes ..... Opening Soon in Maryborough!

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

My mate rode in wet condtions yesterday, went over a wet metal grill, now as a cracked collar bone. So be careful guys!!

Thread Information