Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default Ride OzGolf Ride

The newest addition to the "shameful overweight golfer attempts to get fit/lose weight" series of threads.

Continuing on from the 'Gong ride thread....

I had a play around on Google Earth - the longest climb on the route I did today was about 300m (and it was fairly steep). I'm building up to ride into the city to work - it's about 12-15 km's, although I wouldn't do it on Sydney streets. There are alternative roads to travel, but it adds a fair amount of distance to the journey.

The hill I climbed today is good practice (and will be my regular route) - Gladesville Bridge is about a 350m incline, and as soon as you come off that there's the climb to Lyons Rd which is about 750m - although an alternate route away from peak hour roads will avoid that climb in one hit.

I'm starting this journey on the wrong side of 100 kg's - I'm hoping if I stick to it I can shed some weight pretty quickly.

The big test - can I wake up at 5:30am tomorrow and do the circuit? The missus doesn't think so!
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

goughy

That is the toughest part of all this! The early mornings. I have to get up at 5am for the running. And now I'm about to start tri training I'm 'spose to fit in a 60min ride mid week. I might cop out and do that on the exercise bike.

M longest ride so far is a leisurely 40k. But that will get some serious increases over the next few months.

Now, should I start a Swim Ozgolf Swim.

Goughy - if I'm half-serious about this, I won't mind the 5:30am 1 hour ride. My work has been super hectic lately, plenty of hours, so it's all about how I'm spending the down-time.

MacJackAss - The first day I started looking at bikes I told a guy in Sydney my budget. They stocked the Kona series so the Dew Deluxe was probably the best, but he wanted to shave the PhD down my throat. It was double my budget.

I will say however that the CRX2 is a stepping stone - I'll see how I go for a couple of years and see how serious my cycling has become.

It's a great way to get fit, and I found out today you notice so much more about your neighbourhood when you're not in a car!

goughy

When I decided to start I picked up a Giant OCR3 for $300 including pedals and computer. Was considering spending double that, but really it was too cheap to pass up.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

I have a Giant MTB & a Peter Bundy Custom Road Bike. Giant are good gear for the money
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

goughy

They are called the Toyota of the bike world! I have 3 toyota's now then.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I am seriously considering buying a bicycle, partly to minimise car expenses, going green, and getting fitter (but lets not get carried away there).

Am thinking of getting one of these babies.

No rego, or license needed, which means you can have a few beers after work and not have to worry about getting nicked. If only i can figure out how to get around on this with a set of clubs, I have got it made.

I used to ride my bike and carry my clubs across the shoulder but the cops pulled me over for that. Was something about riding with golf clubs around midnight made them suspicious what i was up to for some reason.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    No rego, or license needed, which means you can have a few beers after work and not have to worry about getting nicked.
    Errr, you can get done for DD on a pushbike.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

goughy

Didn't some guy get done for DD on a horse?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Didn't some guy get done for DD on a horse?
    Yep,
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

yes, and on a Camel in Alice, this year in a wheelchair in NQ, and a few others. in both these cases the individuals were chronic repeat offenders, were legless (pun intended) and were eventually booked because they were both public menaces.

A copper would have to be having a really bad day to bother breath testing a cyclist and then charging him because he had three beers and was .06.

I have been confronted by the nice Rockhampton coppers twice when I was pretty much legless on my bike. The first mentioned above, the second time I 'rolled' it right in front of the coppers at around 3am, went flying through the air, and bent the back wheel 90 degrees.

All i got that time was "you alright mate" I guess they thought it was funny..... The only damage was the destroyed back wheel and a bitumen skid mark across the back of my best white disco shirt.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Have a look at Bikely - see if that suits your mapping/paths need.

If you start out depressed everything’s kind of a pleasant surprise.
    WITB: stuff.

MTB,

I worked in a pub most of my uni life and always rode a bike to and from work, usually so I could partake in a knoff off drink or 10.

I was breath tested twice in 5 years (after 2am both times), and both times I was just lucky that I hadn't had a beer that night.

So its very mcuh something they have targetted in the past
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Have a look at Bikely - see if that suits your mapping/paths need.
    Does this show elevation change too? httP://www.mapmyrun.com does and can be used for bike rides.

Good luck with the weight loss, Dan.

thanks AP. I figure doing it or not will kill me one day!

Blake - the funny thing is about your scooter post, is that I strongly considered one to beat the Sydney traffic (where I'm stuck now), but realized I'd be getting no fitter on one. I sit on a bus 5 days a week and watch cyclists coast past us.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Does this show elevation change too? httP://www.mapmyrun.com does and can be used for bike rides.

Good luck with the weight loss, Dan.
    Yes.

Bikely will generate an elevation profile for the route. To view the profile, choose the show menu and pick Profile. The profile can be calculated in meters or feet. Choose your units of measure by checking either kilometers or miles in the edit tab. The elevation profiles can be accurate or not. It is good to temper the Bikely elevation estimates with experience and field measurements using a GPS.

If you start out depressed everything’s kind of a pleasant surprise.
    WITB: stuff.

Blog Entries

Fishy, good choice of bike. I saw one at Castle Hill the other day, and was tempted.

I won't be able to join you at the Spring Cycle. Gave it a couple of goes on the old road bike, managed to get 20km in 60mins, but it makes me very nervous. 2.5 years in a SUV isolated me from the road intricacies, and the replacement handlebars 'don't feel right' (hence the visit to the Bike Shop at Castle Hill, to ask about converting to a flatbar).

Good luck with the ride, and I hope this thread gives me the kickstart needed to get out there again.

ps. I'll be helping on the Ride To The Top again next March, which is Sydney to Mount Kosciuszko. If the full week is too much, we often have a few extras do the first 1/2/3 days to Bowral/Goulburn/Canberra respectively. More info later.

Dotty - I know what you mean about being sheltered behind the wheel of a vehicle. You tend to forget about how crap some roads can be, and how much junk is closer to the kerb!

Another evening, another 10 km's in fading light. Got home from work after picking up Ella, and jumped on the bike for a race along my local route. I found the last kilometre I had tingly crampy stuff going on in my calves, but consider that after a long day of work that's not entirely unexpected.

As the guy in the bike shop said, I need to raise the seat another couple of inches (now that I am more confident) to get the maximum out of each pedal extension.

Looking at the 40 km's (+10 more at Homebush) a lot more seriously now, and early predictions have the weather in the high 20's!

goughy

Fishy, I have some online info about setting up a bike based on your 'dimensions' including an online calculator where you enter all the info requested and it gives you all the specs etc for seat to handlebar, seat to pedal etc etc. Could send you some links if you interested.

Blog Entries

I tend to use this method for seat height. Sit on my bike in a doorway, put my heels on the pedals, and try pedalling backwards. Then find the highest seat position, that I can smoothly backpedal, without the body/hips rocking side-to-side.

Don't worry about the legs being too straight, when measuring. On the road, you will be pedalling on the balls of your feet, so those extra inches to the heel act as a buffer to straight knees at the 6 o'clock pedal position.

Blog Entries

Fishy, good luck on your big ride tomorrow.

As per the recent pm, here are a couple of handy hints that help others also.

1. Be very wary of steel grates over drains, esp. the old ones that run parallel to the gutter. A road tyre fits perfectly and causes a pince flat (or two). From 10 years ago, I remember there are a few over near Boronia Park (Ryde Rd?), so they might still be a few around the areas that you ride.

2. Practice replacing tubes at home, to get familiar with techniques, force needed/not-needed, tools, etc. (Think of it like a bunker shot, but on the road.)

3. Carry a spare tube and a tube repair kit (make sure the glue hasn't dried up), and watch for the edges of tools resting against the tube (it can wear a hole in it).

4. White road paint in the wet is like ice.

That's all for now.

Thanks Dotty.. all good stuff.

I'm riding with seasoned leisure cyclists tomorrow (if touring Europe is 'leisure'), so I'm sure they'll have gear. I haven't bought my survival kit yet - when I'm serious about going into work it will be required.

I went on another 45 minute, 12 km journey today through East Ryde and doing a lap of Maquarie Hospital - some subtle, long hills in that! I'm still not fit enough to do serious road riding, so will need a regime of Homebush and Centennial Park days where it's flat and I can push myself on relatively flat terrain. Lane Cove River Park is 4.5 km's each way - one way all up, the other all down.

I bought a wireless trip computer and fitted that before today's ride. I struggled around the Ryde hills at an average of 15 kph, and that was totally pedestrian - considering prolonged flat roads you could effortlessly travel at 30-35 km's. So if that's the case for tomorrow it shouldn't be any longer than 3 hours on the road, with a couple of stops along the way.

Riding across the Harbour Bridge will be totally cool!

Blog Entries

Have Fun Dan, another thing to watch out for in this are the one time riders that will pull out in front without looking. Saw plenty of this each time I have done the ride. It settles down by the time you have crossed the bridge and are heading towards Pyrmont.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Crossed the bridge around 7:45am, and got to Homebush at 11am. It was a slow ride, with hundreds of people around you at any time - we averaged 16 km/h for the journey and had a couple of stops to refill water etc along the way. It was great to get out on roads that you would either have no access to (Harbour Bridge, Western Distributor, old Piermont Bridge), and other roads you wouldn't normally attempt to ride on for fear of preserving your own life.

It got a little more stressful within the Homebush precinct, because the pathways aren't really conducive to the amount of traffic that was on them. If someone missed a gear it would almost cause a pileup.

I ended up hanging around the finish for an hour, then cycling about 8 km's back along the route to Homebush where I got picked up. About 60 km's for the day.

Thread Information