Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 27 67 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 1943
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    Wow, it really is illegal to ride without a bell in Victoria. I had no idea (and no bell). You also must give way to pedestrians on shared paths, and you're allowed to do hook turns at any intersection unless there's a sign to say you can't.
    You're not the only one. Seems most motorists don't know or understand the laws either.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I would say 100% of the full Lycra crew here in Perth don't have bells although it is illegal. Most but not all also refuse to say 'bike' or something as a warning when about to overtake you on a shared path. It may not be the same elsewhere but after a year of daily commuting here, there is a direct correlation between how expensive someone's kit is and the amount of road rules that get ignored !!
    You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!

I always say "Coming up on your right" Sometimes they move slightly over to the left, sometimes they stand still, sometimes they scatter like bloody kangaroos trying to get hit so it pays to go slow and steady around pedestrians especially seeing as most of them won't hear me at all.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    It's a shared path, they have a right to be there. Why should they get out of your way?
    Ummm, because it is a path. Travellers on the path can proceed in both directions, and at different speeds, if the path is not blocked. Just like your cars on roads of more than one lane. If you are blocking the path, I will politely ask you to vacate an area of the path so I can get past by ringing my bell.

Pedestrians have a tendency to spread out across both lanes when walking. 4 people walking together could block all lanes of the Gold Coast Motorway if if was a walking track.

You'll have to drive your car in NSW more often. It is so much fun to reach a steep hill and find one truck crawling up the hill at 30k's, and another truck in the overtaking lane crawling up the hill at 35k's, and two lines of cars behind, drivers fuming. But the trucks have the right to be there. It probably never happens in Queensland.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Ummm, because it is a path. Travellers on the path can proceed in both directions, and at different speeds, if the path is not blocked. Just like your cars on roads of more than one lane. If you are blocking the path, I will politely ask you to vacate an area of the path so I can get past by ringing my bell.

Pedestrians have a tendency to spread out across both lanes when walking. 4 people walking together could block all lanes of the Gold Coast Motorway if if was a walking track.

You'll have to drive your car in NSW more often. It is so much fun to reach a steep hill and find one truck crawling up the hill at 30k's, and another truck in the overtaking lane crawling up the hill at 35k's, and two lines of cars behind, drivers fuming. But the trucks have the right to be there. It probably never happens in Queensland.
    So if another vehicle or person is blocking your way and causing you to go much slower than you otherwise could, even though they have a right to be there, you think they should get out of your way?

Interesting. I don't think I've come across that attitude before.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I use a bell to let the MAMILs that are convincing themselves that they are exercising, on bikes worth a few grand, that I am about to pass on my shitty hybrid bike, which has a bell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    Wow, it really is illegal to ride without a bell in Victoria. I had no idea (and no bell). You also must give way to pedestrians on shared paths, and you're allowed to do hook turns at any intersection unless there's a sign to say you can't.
    Easy solved. Just grab a bell off the Xmas tree or reindeer antlers, when you pack up the decorations.

ps. Why would anyone in Ballina need a bell? It's more effective to ride up behind them and yell 'Shark'..
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

The mountain and bmx bikes I have bought for my kids over the last few years were sold without bells too. It's kinda the norm, which I find strange considering the laws.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

We don't have an accidents and injuries thread, or a hospitals thread, so as my experience of the above involved me coming off my bike, I'll post a short version here.

On Friday there was a brief window of opportunity to escape the rain and get out of the house and do something, so I went for a bike ride. No more than 500 metres from home on my return trip, riding on the shared path, a car came out of what might be described as a concealed driveway without slowing down, right in front of me. I had to stop very quickly to avoid hitting the car. So quickly that I went straight over the handlebars and hit the pavement.

Had I not been wearing a helmet my injuries may have been a bit worse than a few grazes and an ugly looking little finger.

I was hurting and in shock and couldn't really move so the people from the unit complex assisted, called an ambulance, and off to hospital I went.

The little finger turned out to be badly dislocated, with the technical term being an open fracture because the bone pierced the skin on the inside of the joint. I subsequently learned this is a very bad thing due to the risk of infection in the joint. So bad that I got transferred from Ballina Hospital to the larger hospital at Lismore, where they have an expert orthopaedic doctor.

There are other aspects of the story that I will put in other threads regarding the hospital experience, but I'll add a few last things here.

It was my first time ever in an ambulance. It was my first time ever in an emergency department of a hospital.

And relevant to this thread, it was the first time I have ever been thankful I was wearing a helmet. Riders, I can't stress how important this is.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery jim

Bloody hell. Speedy recovery Jim.

But not too quick so the rest of us have a chance at the long drive at nsw champs.

All the best Jim.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    We don't have an accidents and injuries thread, or a hospitals thread, so as my experience of the above involved me coming off my bike, I'll post a short version here.

On Friday there was a brief window of opportunity to escape the rain and get out of the house and do something, so I went for a bike ride. No more than 500 metres from home on my return trip, riding on the shared path, a car came out of what might be described as a concealed driveway without slowing down, right in front of me. I had to stop very quickly to avoid hitting the car. So quickly that I went straight over the handlebars and hit the pavement.

Had I not been wearing a helmet my injuries may have been a bit worse than a few grazes and an ugly looking little finger.

I was hurting and in shock and couldn't really move so the people from the unit complex assisted, called an ambulance, and off to hospital I went.

The little finger turned out to be badly dislocated, with the technical term being an open fracture because the bone pierced the skin on the inside of the joint. I subsequently learned this is a very bad thing due to the risk of infection in the joint. So bad that I got transferred from Ballina Hospital to the larger hospital at Lismore, where they have an expert orthopaedic doctor.

There are other aspects of the story that I will put in other threads regarding the hospital experience, but I'll add a few last things here.

It was my first time ever in an ambulance. It was my first time ever in an emergency department of a hospital.

And relevant to this thread, it was the first time I have ever been thankful I was wearing a helmet. Riders, I can't stress how important this is.
    Get well soon mate.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Good luck with the recovery Jimbo. Is there a chance of legal action?

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Good luck with the recovery Jimbo. Is there a chance of legal action?
    Against you? It shouldn't be difficult to find something in the OzGolf pages.

I actually did wonder whether my health fund, when they get the claim from the hospital and others, might ask about the circumstances. It seems to me this might come under the compulsory injury to third party area that we pay inflated amounts of our rego to cover. At this point I'm not out of pocket, and while I'll never play the piano again. I couldn't do so before.

But if it costs me the NSW Ozgolf championships by a shot I will be seeking legal advice for sure.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I was thinking more legal action against you from either the pavement owner [for damage you caused] or the car driver [for their pain and suffering via your hooligan like actions] ...

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Ride2Work day today... so I rode to work (and back).
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Good work, Courty. I didn't even know that it was today, not that I could do it due to weather and injury.

I did do my first and probably last ride over 100k a month or so ago. I didn't intend that distance at the start of the ride, but once it got close, I made the most of it.

I think it shows how much easier riding it compared to running, if I can do a 5hr session on the bike with many hours on the bike in the weeks leading up to it.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Good work, Courty. I didn't even know that it was today, not that I could do it due to weather and injury.
    Lots of cyclists at my work. Funnily enough, most of them piked out because of the weather too (ok this morning but solid rain all the way home).
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

I would ride to work every day if I could, as it is only a 5km trip. I just have to work out an easy way to get all my work gear/clothes to work each week. The work car could live in the carpark and only travel for work purposes during the day.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

I picked this Pinarello up last week after accepting an invite to be part of a 3 man team for the Nepean Triathlon later this year.

2009 vintage and supposedly full carbon frame, Ultegra everywhere, upgraded bar, seat post and wheels...a world away from my Merida MTB, but so smooth! Clipless SPD pedals, so I don't need to buy new shoes.

It'll be a great setup for Great Cycle Challenge in Oct (the triathlon is in Oct as well), plus might give some other social cycling events a crack too.

Still have my Litespeed (2004 Tuscany). It's gotten a bit of use this year and hope to pt lots more miles on it when we move back to Brisbane in a few weeks.

27709954_10157322395032715_1986140251911524213_o.jpg

Lashed out and bought a MTB (2014 Rocky Mountain Vertex 999RSL) this year to have a crack at the Paluma Push race. I suck at MTB riding, yet alone racing, so that was definitely an experience!

70538722_10159176665722715_4969105676312772608_n.jpg

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

After getting over some injuries I've been back on the bike since mid October.

The Blue Bianchi is about 8 years old. Thinking of an all carbon upgrade next year.

I've wanted a MTB for years, but it's just how have to wait. My roadie needs recabling, but will have to wait till after Xmas. And I'm changing the steering on it, getting rid of the quill stem and new bars etc. Don't know if I've ever played pics of it before, but it was Jaster's (Leon Treadwell's) last bike that his wife and kids gifted me. So I'll never replace it. My other is my TT bike, which was also a gift.
    IMG_20170204_083640-1.jpg
    PANO_20180818_062033.jpg
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

So after a couple of weeks of recent back pain and drama which has sorted itself out far quicker than i thought it ever would I've decided to lose some unneeded kilo's.

Back in the day i just used to diet a bit and jog 5k's every second day among other things but i'm past those days. More recent but still many many years ago i hit the gym for 6 years or so and was in great shape but i don't overly want to do that at this stage of life either.

So it's time for a bike. My last MTB was about 15 years ago and not worth fixing up.

I just want an entry level piece and have scoured reviews the last week or so. I'm only going to commute mostly around town with maybe a little country road riding for a change of pace. Won't be flat out racing down the local mountain tracks anytime soon (tho i might get excite and do some touring around the hills) so a basic unit is good.

I've pretty much settled on the Trek Marlin 5. I would have looked at 4 but reasonably local stores have none in and bike stock like so much else is backlogged due to covid etc so i'm not keen to wait 4 or so months when there are other options. After much checking it seems a good pick against the Giant ATX/Talon 3, Norco Storm 5 and a couple of others i was looking at and should do much more than i need.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thread Information