Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 78 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 65 ... LastLast
    goughy

Actually, I've upholstered a few things for him lately - I'm also the upholsterer for his decorator. But he's got about another 20 odd pieces to upholster over the next year, all to go into the house he's just moved into which he's been having renovated for nearly 2 years now. It has a room just for all his bikes. I try to hang in the right circles!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

No good mate. I have yet to hit the deck on the bike but it will happen soon I am thinking. Had a guy this morning decide that a bike doesn't count as a vehicle to give way to, locked it up but kept it pright.

What happened to your mate?

I did a community ride yesterday, only second time I have ridden in a bunch. First time in a bunch wasn't great but enjoyed this one a lot more. Thiw was not a race but enough people together and the speed goes on a bit.

I started off mid pack not really knowing what to expect and the bunch broke up pretty early. I got stuck behind a couple of slower riders and the front bunch was off the front a bit. I ended up in the third bunch for about 5 km then realised that this bunch was probably going a bit too slowly for me so I jumped off the front to a small bunch about a km up the road, about 10 min of work later and I latched on to a group of 4. Sat in there for about 15 km then jumped again to the front bunch which was about 500m up the road. Another 10 min of work and I was in the main bunch and stayed tucked in until the end point for a total of 38km in 1:06 (34.5kmh) , I normally average about 30km on my solo rides so that was a big step up, some of the speed was definately drafting, but having people to ride with and chase helps mentally as well.

At the turnaround there was a regroup and I was determined not to make the same mistake I made at the start so I made sure to be in the top 20 riders leaving the regroup. I spent the first couple of km going around riders trying to get around some slower riders who were rolling, then from km 2 to 5 I stared at the front hub and managed to hang on the back of the bunch. Km 5 to 7 were me staring at the rider in front sitting about 1-2m off the front of my wheel not able to get back. Km 7 I blew up, looked down at the speedo and to that point had averaged 40kmh, I was dropped and spent about 5 km tooling along waiting for some other riders to catch me. From about 12km a group of 5-6 riders came past and I jumped in and took some turns. We spent the next 25 km picking up the remnants of the main bunch as it exploded in front of us. Got back in 1:02 (36.8kmh) as a group of about 20. Apparently the front bunch averaged over 40!

As I said before, I really enjoyed the bunch ride aspect this time around and I think it is because I am a bit stronger rider than a year agom it wasn't such a big struggle for me. Thinking now I might make an effort to join some bunches around here.

goughy

I rarely ever ride alone. usually two of us, but up to 10 at times. With the bigger groups I'm the weakest rider so it's always a push. Check the bike shops nearby for whats around.

I'm thinking of heading over and trying some of those criteriums over at Murarrie, I used to do them about 7-8 years ago and never got past B-Grade.

Wonder if it all still works the same, or the explosion in popularity of cycling has made it hard to get a ride.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Is there one at Nundah too, Moe? I think there is a criterium track there or the like. What is a criterium exactly anyway?

goughy

A group of cyclist riding in a group. The usually do a certain amount of minutes and then, say, 3 final laps where the real racing can happen. Generally the group stays together until the end. You can break away, but the group is faster than an individual and they usually get swallowed up again and have wasted a lot of energy.

Drafting in a group can be worth a 30% saving in energy, hence why you see them switching the lead all the time. I've been twice to the local races and both times have been accidents. One guy snapped the top tube of his bike (bloody near impossible to do) and another one a mate went down and had 4 go over the top of him. He's damaged his L1???? and will be in a walking frame for the next month.

I'm going to try it out next season. Spose to be good for the pain threshold.

Usually once you've dropped off the back of the group your race is over. And if you're lapped you're out.

I keep tossing up cycling racing. I am pretty sure I will enjoy it but can't find the cash for a license at the moment. That could change next week though if I can get it past the mrs.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Goughy, do have regular ride days? I am struggling to find a group on Tuesday mornings. I keep turning up at Bikeline and so do a bunch of ladies. I didn't think Iride have an organised ride on tuesdays. I am simply looking for a group to push me along and stretch my bike fitness. Thursday morning I have been heading up Mt Kynoch to Carbarlah which certainly hurts!

goughy

i ride 5am with a group of guys. Fairly serious, atm I am by far the slowest in the group. Our general ride includes going up Mary St, mt kynoch, Hogg St and either Baker St or postle st. May not mean much to you, but basically Mt Kynoch is not the toughest of the climbs. Or we head down the range and come up via flagstone creek road, though with the fog now days I doubt we'll do that one.

We start at 5am.

sundays i ride with a mate, much more relaxed and we grab a coffee. Will be away racing this weekend but why don't you join us on a sunday morn some time. I could chat more with you about the tuesday guys.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    i ride 5am with a group of guys. Fairly serious, atm I am by far the slowest in the group. Our general ride includes going up Mary St, mt kynoch, Hogg St and either Baker St or postle st. May not mean much to you, but basically Mt Kynoch is not the toughest of the climbs. Or we head down the range and come up via flagstone creek road, though with the fog now days I doubt we'll do that one.
    **** that! Mental note..... Never go for a ride with goughy.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post

We start at 5am.

sundays i ride with a mate, much more relaxed and we grab a coffee. Will be away racing this weekend but why don't you join us on a sunday morn some time. I could chat more with you about the tuesday guys.
    The 5am start doesn't deter me as I am keen to ride hard. Whether I can keep up is the question. A Sunday morning ride sounds great, let me know when and where and I'll be there.

goughy

Vegas, that's when the group starts. I'm up at 4:10, ready then drive to my start point then riding by 4:40 to meet them. I used to ride from home in hodgson vale to meet them at the servo at the top of the range. was on my bike just after 4.

Mg, should be on weekend after next. Will let you know when and where.

goughy, it wasn't the time that shocked me, but the route you choose. I didn't realise you could get up Hogg Street on a pushbike.

golflink WITB

Is Hogg St reasonably steep? I think I have ridden down it if it the one I am thinking of. I got some serious pace up. Does it meet up with the road that goes out to the tip?

goughy

Yep. And boy is fun after having just done mt kynoch.

Some serious guys I ride with. Some have done 3 peaks, which includes 5000mtr climbing. another climbs flagstone creek, no standing and only has a 23 cassette on the back. Going up flagstone last time my ave hr was 174, cadence was down to under 50, and my speed was like 6k/hr. Nothing like being the slowest in the group.

Sheezuz. I have got some work ahead of me to get to that level but don't count me out yet. I read a blog about 3 Peaks the other day it sounds insane but a great personal acheivement at the same time.

goughy

Trust me I'm in no form at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by moree golfer View Post
    Sheezuz. I have got some work ahead of me to get to that level but don't count me out yet. I read a blog about 3 Peaks the other day it sounds insane but a great personal acheivement at the same time.
    I read a couple about 3 peaks too and felt inspired. Sounds like an awesome ride. It is on the to do list, just not sure which year yet.

I got all bulled up and thought about doing it next year as a goal but I will need to set myself some smaller goals ahead of that methinks. Out on the road this morning showed me I definitely need more time on the hills. Went on my own for a touch more than 30 clicks right on the hour mark.

goughy

That's great pace around Toowoomba. Faster than me.

We'll see if I can keep up with you first. Looking forward to a ride with you Sunday week.

Did my new commute this morning for the first time. Only about 6km and 15min. Lovely!

golflink WITB

Was it raining?

You won't burn many calories at average 24 km/hr Vegas!

Quote Originally Posted by moree golfer View Post
    Was it raining?

You won't burn many calories at average 24 km/hr Vegas!
    No rain yesterday, but it rained this morning.

I don't know exactly how far it is, as I don't have a speedo. On google maps it's 7km by road, but prob a bit more by the time you take the bikepaths into account. True, it's not a fast average speed, but Mt Coot-tha isn't exactly a flat part of town, and there are traffic lights and bikepath closures on Coro drive to deal with at the moment.

I'm not a hard core cyclist obviously, but riding for 30-40min a day is better than doing nothing.
    Last edited by BrisVegas; 30th March 2011 at 11:45 AM.

golflink WITB

Thread Information